Just diagnosed and terrified

Hi everyone 

I’m 46 and diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal cancer. More terrified as cancer found in 2 lymph nodes as lump hiding under scar tissue from previous fibroadenoma removal so only discovered when pain started. Consultant states totally treatable but as a nurse I am thinking worst. Plan is chemo, surgery then radiotherapy and long term treatment as oestrogen receptive. Waiting for CT scan then oncology appointment to plan treatment.  Just want to start. Head all over and thing most upsetting me is effect on family and kids. Kids don’t know yet only my amazing husband. Also feel shallow as worrying about losing hair and bloating…going to try cold cap for sure. Help!

Poacher65 It doesn’t matter who you are it is a shock when you get told you have breast cancer. Please be kind to yourself and don’t try and process it all at once, take it step by step, you will soon fall into a routine with everything when treatments plan in place Do use all the services Breast Cancer Now can support you and your family with, it really is like having an extra safety net of helping hands day and night 24/7 and do everything your own way in your own time, there are no right or wrongs Everyone on the threads will help with tips and tricks if you ask anything :two_women_holding_hands: :two_women_holding_hands: :two_women_holding_hands: it’s what we try and do just offer anything that may be of help Do keep off doctor google, your team have seen it all before and will tailor your treatments specifically for you :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

@Poacher65  - I know you’ve already had some good advice, but I’ve just seen your post and wanted to say that I had a very similar diagnosis and treatment plan to you, so if I can help with any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

I also agree with Susanmanchester that it’s not at all shallow to worry about losing your hair and want to use the cold cap. I tried the cold cap but it didn’t fully work for me, but I think that was because it didn’t fit on my head properly - as I’ve heard and read about lots of other success stories. I seem to remember being told to take conditioner along to put on before the cap was fitted, and do ask them to double check that the cap fits well. The first 5 to 10 minutes are the hardest, so make sure you have something to distract you - a film on an iPad maybe, but after that it’s fine. So hang in there if you find it hard at first - though I’ve not got a good pain tolerance so you may find it much easier than I did!

Do ask if you think of any questions, or alternatively you may just want to chat - I’m sure you feel as if a large bus came out of nowhere and just hit you. It’s a huge shock. As far as telling people is concerned, you should do what is comfortable and feels right to you. This forum is a great place for not having to explain anything because everyone just “gets it”. Big hugs to you, Evie xx