cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

JackieCole16

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Many thanks indeed!

I will ask the question at my appointment on Monday.

I really appreciate the prompt and supportive/helpful replies I have received - thank you.

Jx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Jackie, they should know if your cancer is Oestrogen positive from your initial biopsy .Tamoxifen is a drug that is prescribed to help to stop the cancer reoccurring if it is Oestrogen positive .
bazza7676

From the BCC website. I'm sure the ladies will tell you not to get too far ahead of yourself, and not think of tamoxifen just yet. Just deal with each stage as and when, which isn't easy to do.

Tamoxifen works on the whole body (known as systemic treatment) and blocks the effects of oestrogen on the receptors. This helps to stop any breast cancer cells from growing. - See more at: https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-treatment...

JackieCole16

Thanks Bazza

What is tamoxifen?  What does it do?

Thanks for the wishes.

Jx

bazza7676

From what I remember I think you'll find out from the biopsy they do after your op. 

They don't boost your levels too much, and there may be an opportunity to take a break from the tamoxifen. But it did add a lot to think about for us. 

Hopefully your treatment will move along smoothly no matter what you decide x

JackieCole16

HI Bazza

Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful reply.

I do not yet know if my cancer is estrogen receptor?  Do you find that out from the scan or the operation?  Or even the biopsy?

I didn't realise there was so much to this business of freezing eggs, but I guess on reflection that was naive. 

Thanks again

Jx

bazza7676

Yay Tina! Chemo almost done, something to celebrate. I hope rads treats you kindly! x

bazza7676

Hey everyone, a few spare minutes at work so thought I'd pop in.

Well done in completing chemo Jen! Good idea to try not to think about the reamaining treatment in May.

Nikki keeps me up to date with some the ladies from October FB group. I hope them and everyone else is doing OK now.

Oh no Jackie the C word hasn't been too kind to your family, thankfully you don't have the gene. With regards to freezing of your eggs. My wife and I looked into this. It's another thing to agonise over and was quite upsetting at the time. They'll arrange for you to meet a consultant at an IVF clinic, they'll go through the options available. Is your BC estrogen receptive? They may need to kickstart your periods, which in turn increases your estrogen levels. So they warn you about that, plus of course the percentages of getting pregnant with IVF (plenty do get pregnant with or without the help of IVF, which is good). I think they keep them for 10 years then you will have to pay to keep them frozen after that and they'll check to see if your BMI is OK too. Ah one last thing is they recommend you don't take tamoxifen while pregnant. Lots fo things to consider (PS deffo not trying to put you off doing it, just telling you what they will say)

Whatever you decide, try not to think what if.

Sending hugs to all x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

👍🏼👏🏼 Yay well done Jen!!!! 

To all the newbies finding themselves on this site...... You're in a good supportive place xx 

Ask whatever that's concerning or confusing you as someone will have been through it!?! Rant, moan, complain, laugh and curse...... We're here for you. 

Not been on this thread for while, but reading posts. Been on the December chemo thread more. 

Bloods done this morning, hoping for no delays for Friday! Last chemo!!! 🙏🏼

For those/newbies who don't know my situation...... Diagnosed in August grade 2 lobular. Hormone receptive. Had lateral mammoplasty procedure and lymph node biopsy October, path results proved the **bleep**e was twice as big and in 1 of 11 nodes removed. Another procedure Nov to get clear margin and do lymph clearence. Chemo started 18th December, I've been lucky so far with no delays (but that's prob due to minimising my infection risks and not going to work....... Which I miss terribly!)

3 x FEC and 3 x T...... I'm cold capping and its working for me 👍🏼 Month after chemo done, 15 sessions of radiotherapy and  will be on medication for 5-10 years. This is all crap, but we wil get through it!!! Thinking of you all, as the memory if early days still very real xxx Tina 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Jackie ,welcome.You can join in the discussions on any thread or start a new one to ask particular questions if you want.I know there are ladies on the forum who have had to deal with the issues re fertility so hopefully someone will be along to share their experiences .Im sure you will feel much better once you have a plan in place and can get on with getting rid of the bugger!!
JackieCole16

Hi There

This is my first time on the forum, so apologies if I am doing something wrong by repllying to an existing thread rather than starting a new one?

2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I am 37 and just 18 months ago I lost my mother to Ovarian Cancer, which she battled valiantly for 4.5 years.  Her mother died of breast cancer at 34.  I do not have the braca gene though.

My friend recommended this forum and site, so I thought I would reach out and see how other people coped with this news, along with any hints and tips.  I have had an MRI and get the results and a treatment plan on Monday 4th April.

Apparently I need to decide if I want some eggs frozen, as that will mean having hormone therapy which I guess may delay the chemo?  Has anyone else had this dilemma?  I am single but would still love a child one day, if at all possible.  However I also want to start treatment ASAP and just get this horrible disease gone!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Well done Jen!!!! Enjoy the break from hospital visiting !!!
JenJen

Im done :)! Well chemo anyway, full MX and ANC in May to be worried about now but switching off for a couple of weeks and going to enjoy no hospital appointments

Jen x
Jill1998
Community Champion

R you coming up your first post treatment mammogram Sue?
sue.tiller

I went to Florida at Easter last year I arrived back on 10th April and went in for surgery on Monday 13th it was the best thing for me as I haven't felt like going so far since. Go and enjoy.
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Congratulations Jen. We can all coat our sprouts with chocolate today without guilt. xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

You have to do all 3 Jen or it doesn't help !!!Last chemo excellent !!!!🍾🍾🍾
JenJen

Hello all 🙂 xx

Welcome to the new people sorry you have had to join us but we are a good bunch and will help you along the way and may even make you laugh xx advice dont google, remember because someone else had it/ felf it ...it doesnt mean you will we are all individuals . Dont think ahead take every step at a time and dont worry about things till you have too ( easier said that done I know)

Well I have my last chemo on Tuesday so I have just had a massive stir fry of green stuff to make me feel a bit healthy and start as I mean to go on as I said no junk after chemo. Sprouts were included but lacking the vodka and chocolate ...though I guess I can do that tomorrow

Love to all xx
Jen xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Did the sprouts help do you think?
MadAnge

Welcome to the new ladies to the club none of us want to join.

I would just like to say those of you worrying about chemo. It can be done, it's not easy and you can gets lots of different challenges throughout but you get to the end eventually. Xx
LouPrince

Hope you have good hol and feel rested on your return...it's good to hear from someone whose going through the same 

Louxx

LouPrince

Thanks Jo ..everyone has been great as its like a living nightmare...worried I may have to have chemo and this is so daunting ...can't believe it is 6 Months ..hopefully if I cross that awful bridge ...I might need lots of support ,,,this forum is amazing

Louxx

A.Faed

Welcome to the new 'arrivals' as your already finding, the advice and support you get here is a lot of help, you will have you dark days but I think the lessen as you progress through your treatment. 

I didn't have my hair cut until it started falling out in handfuls, which it day from day 13 of my first FEC. I hot footed it to the hairdressers and got it cut to about 4cm. The falling out went on for about a week and I haven't noticed much going since then. I an see my scalp of course but still have a fair amount of the 4cm hair as well as a little short new growth. I've done 3 FEC and one T so far.

Amanda x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hope it continues to treat you kindly .
Emmajane

Yes lots of lovely time with my girlie and when she's in nursery I nice walks n meeting friends! 👏
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hey,some good points to cancer treatment then!!!
Emmajane

First few days a hangover but champion now only side effect has been a sore dry throat n tickling cough xxx eating like a horse I found eating helped when I felt sick!! I'm off work as I teach 5 year olds feel really stress free.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Emma,I'm sure the ladies who have had chemo will give you some advice about what to expect re hairloss.How has your first one been?
Emmajane

I'm on day 15 of my first cycle I haven't lost any hair yet but it's tender... A funny sensation! Everytime I wash it I scrutinise the hair catcher in the plug 🙄I had it cut short after my diagnosis so not sure if that's why I'm not noticing it... When will it start to shed? I heard just before or after the second cycle. I got my wig and a few nice hat things n scarf. I'm keeping up my walking and eating well. Next round is Thursday. 😱Xxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you feel a bit more positive Lou,I found I felt so much better after I had spoken to people who were going /had been through it too.Very hard for others to understand as hard as they may try.Xx
Jobey68

Hi Lou and a warm welcome to the group no one wants to join! I can see you have been well looked after by these lovely ladies but just wanted to say hi and that things will get a little easier as the days pass, it's an awful time in the beginning but it does get better Xx Jo 

LouPrince

Hi Jill my op is on 20th April x

Jill1998
Community Champion

When is your op Lou?🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣
LouPrince

Thanks for that ,you and everyone else on this forum has given me such good feedback and support ! This morning I was in such a dark place but now I feel a lot more positive and you made me laugh about trying to colour your hairx

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Oh Bibi, that made me laugh but at least your hair matches the Easter weekend perfectly! I'm about a month behind you I think with hair growth and you cold capped too didn't you so I guess have lots more than me. Not hating my grey fluff too much yet as I'm just so glad to see it and I quite like all my head gear. I can't stop thinking now what colour I'm going to go for when I'm at the stage of being able to dye it. Hopefully I'll be brave and go for something I've never had before. 

Ruth xx

Bibi44

Hi Lou I had to have two ops .... Devastating isn't it?  I'd say it was one of my worst days, after diagnosis. I just felt like I'd spent 2 weeks recovering & back to square one. Seems like a distant memory now & with the benefit of hindsight, of course you need to get it all out  if there's any chance it didn't go the first time.  It's a super hard thing you're facing, but you can do it. It seems quite common unfortunately.  I was a grade 3, which is worrying, but you are HER-ve which is exactly what you want.  I was HER+ve & it moves you straight to chemo, don't pass go.  You must sieze the positives of the situation or it will do your head in.  Try & stay strong & take comfort in the fact you are not alone.  If you need a chat, the nurses on the helpline are just brilliant.  This will make you laugh.  I had tried to colour my hair with blond mousse as still too early to dye & I just hate the grey.  Well it's come out Easter chick yellow AND it lasts 5 washes.  Thank God for headscarves! xxxx

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Lou, I had one node involved but when had clearance no others were affected. From where you are standing at this point in time it is terrifying. All of us on this thread have been there and many of us are now coming through and approaching the finishing line - something we probably thought we would never do. You will too. Stick around. Despite what we are facing there is plenty of humour on this thread as well as sound advice. The folks here have kept me sane throughout. Much strength to you.

Ruth xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Welcome Lou,very depressing to have to through another op isn't it.Try and just take one thing at a time "bite size chunks " otherwise it can be very overwhelming .There is lots of support here and almost always someone who has been through the same to offer advice.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Enjoy your holiday Sarah,try and forget about this crap while you are away.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Emma just about everyone I know has sore throat and tickly cough,there are lots of bugs going round I'm afraid.Keep an eye on your temp.
Cs66

It's nice to see this thread coming to life again and seeing everyone getting closer to the end and out the other side. It seems an age away since I first posted here when I was first diagnosed .
Hello to any new posters on the thread too.
I was worried about Delly. She seems to have gone v quiet and not posted at all. She was such a prolific poster too. I hope she is ok.
Have a happy and healthy Easter everyone.
Claire xxx
Sarahkears73

Thank you that's exactly what I intend to do! Florida here we come 🌞 Xx
mf

Hi Lou. Sorry you have to join us here, but you're in the right place for support and advice. I was diagnosed with stage 1, grade 3, ER+, HER- a year ago and had three ops but I'm through the other side. It felt like a potential death sentence at first - it is so scary. It's tough for you having to go through another op, just as you were getting over the first, but it's good your surgeon is being thorough. I have a neighbour who had total axillary node clearance and she is fine now. Small comfort, I know.
Jobey68

Have a fantastic holiday Sarah and try and forget all about bloody BC until you get back!, xx 

Sarahkears73

Hi Lou that's exactly the same as me and my next 21 nodes were all clear, hopefully you will get good news too. I was diagnosed in Jan. Am going to Florida this morning, back on 5 April then start chemo on 6th, I'm 42, so having every treatment going! Try to rest when you can I know it's hard, love Sarah xx
LouPrince

Hi everyone 

I've had a recent diagnosis of BC ,had a recent WLE with sentinel lymph node biopsy .Havent slept as the one of the sentinel nodes was positive,so now have to go and have another op for anxillary node clearance. Really scared about the future ,my cancer is grade 3 ER+ and HER2 -.Would love some support and advice

Emmajane

Could I ask if anyone has suffered with a sore dry throat and tickly cough? Bit worried Altho my temp fine and I don't feel poorly at all. Wondered if it was a symptom... Think I read a while back on here it was? I've only had one Fec so far, next one is on Thursday 31st. X
A.Faed

Great news that Nikki is all done, what a relief! Good luck with the run, Barry, or should I say 'hobble' 😉 Hope you heal in time, though!

I joined this thread in August, there's been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since then, I hope to be finished active treatment by mid June-ish, about a month before the anniversary of my mammogram that set me off on this nightmare roller coaster!

Hope everyone is doing ok,

Amanda x

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Oh and Tina, congratulations on being so close to the end. I so admire you for lasting so long with the cold cap. x

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Evening all. I'm doing okay. Three weeks post node-clearance and still a bit sore but nothing that can't be coped with. Not sure if I mentioned that the remaining nodes were all clear which I was delighted about of course. Have my Tamoxifen appointment on Tuesday so that is the next thing to get started on. I'll also find out then if I'm having rads too. So, approaching the end and today even started to dare to think about a holiday later this year.

Sorry to hear about the knee Barry and hope you are better soon to get back into the trainers!

Yes, where is Delly? Not seen her for ages and hope she is okay.

Hope everyone manages to have a nice Easter weekend. xx