378793posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

delly

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Helena - You're used to us on the "Progesterone and Fluffy" thread of recent. The gals on here are equally as wonderful, I assure you. We've shared so much nasty nitty gritty but oh, also so much joy and laffs as well.

Much love to all my buds here

DellyDingDong xxxxxxxx Have a fab Christmas everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

How are your Rads going Helena?Holland Barrett do a deodorant that is a mineral crystal stick it works pretty well .I didn't stink too badly 😀
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you got a smpathetic doctor Delly and hope the "head doctor " offers something to help . Hopefully the cataract op will be straightforward and will bring you great benefits .Im going for eye test in new year as my eyesight has deteriorated a lot in the last year ,hoping it is age and not the Tamoxifen affecting my eyes.🤓
delly

Yey, Peggy, Jill and Clair,

What a loooong slog you've all had. I sincerely hope that's the end of any further treatments and may you forever remain "CLEAR". 

Doc, very sympathetic this morning and sending me to see a "Head" Doctor, in other words Psychiatric Evaluation. Thinks, like myself, I'm Bi-Polar. I think my brother was also. Anyway, at least I've got the ball rolling. Off to a Bi-P support group tonight here in Macc, just to see / suss it out, and in case it is as thought.

Have also to go for cataract op in the New Year - no wonder I was struggling to read posts on here !! Falling to bits ladies.

Enjoy yourselves and take care,

DingDongDelly xxxxxxxxxx 

Cs66

Hi Ruth, Delly, Jill and everyone else who was on this thread,

Well, what a  a difference a year makes! This time last year I had just had mx number two and chemo was starting in Jsnuary. It was one hell f a challenging time. Now, we've just moved house, I'm back at work, I have  a lovely new horse and life is good. 

I still find it hard to think about it all and I hope to god that's it and I can get on with living agsin.This forum really helped me get through it and was a huge source of support.

A happy (and healthy) Christmas to all!!

claire xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Bring on the vodka chocie sprouts ,it's that time of year !!
Jill1998
Community Champion

Merry Christmas everyone !!!Delly good luck in getting some treatment that helps and well done for gritting your teeth and seeking help ,not easy.Hope everyone is well and getting on with life ,although I've realised that life really won't quite ever be the same again and recovery is a long process.Best wishes for 2017 all.Jill.
delly

Hello all you Lovelies from me too,

Good to see and hear you Peggycat. 

Hope everyone is well and doing ok.

I'm off to the Docs in the morning. Something happened recently that finally made me decide to seek some help for my head, depression etc. I've been resisting, kicking and screaming against, thinking I can sort it myself. Don't want to get into Antidepressants as they tend to make me a bit vacant/vacuous, but I've spent faaar too many days under the duvet, unable to function and wasting/wishing my life and time away. See what it brings. Am going armed with a list so that I can remember all points. Plus also ask to be rereferred back to get back on the recon horse - at least get that finished off.

Just wanted to send my Happy Christmas and Good Wishes for a Happier and Healthy New Year to you all.

Much love

DingDongDelly xxxxxxxxx 

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi everyone,

I've been a bit absent from this site recently due to family issues but thought it was about time this thread was reignited for Christmas and wanted to wish you all well. Sending everyone best wishes and the hope that 2017 is going to be a very happy one for us all. 

Ruth

xxxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Tina, I have found that nearly a year on from returning to work I still feel a bit vulnerable and find stresses at work a lot harder to deal with than I did before ,this thing really takes it out of you mentally and depletes your emotional resources .We will get there though .Look after yourself ,don't let others who don't understand drag you down .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi all,thanks for reviving the thread Claire.Glad all are doing ok ,sorry to hear about your cat Delly ,we had a cat who lived til 21,like yours she didn't actually do very much at 21 but she was loved anyway and it's very sad when they go .Time for a kitten ??They are a lot of fun .
delly

My dear Clairebee

Yeh, I so get what you mean. It's a massive physical and mental trauma to go through for anyone, that's bound to resurface at times. We just have to learn to try to put it to the back of our minds and move on as best we can, but be aware and vigilant should anything untoward/abnormal crop up and then deal with that THEN. Easier said than done.

Thanks ref my loss of Chloe. Being a single person, without any family, she was all I had left, and that much more of a loss. 21yrs. Desperately miss her, but I'm not in a good state mentally to take another on, as much as I'd love to. Don't feel it would be fair. Altho I also wonder if I did, it might boost me up a bit. Chloe was easy being an elderly lady, didn't want to venture very far and slept for most of the day. But was still company tho' she was sleeping in her bed in front of me. See how it goes.

Love to everybody xxxx   

Cs66

So nice to see some old friends popping up on here. I did wonder if anyone would post when I revived the thread!

Ruth, Amanda, Delly and Tina, lovely to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat Delly. Pets are so important aren't they and its so hard when they die. Will you get another cat?

Tina, I'm just so sorry to hear you are off work and struggling. Haven't you been through enough without people making things difficult for you. I hope you rest up and get stronger. Cancer is about so much more than surgery and treatment and the long term psychological effects should not be underestimated. I feel pretty good right now, but there are days when the fear of recurrence and realization of what I've been through hit me hard.

i hope everyone else is doing well. Thank goodness we have this forum to dip into when we need it.

lots of love,

Claire xxxx

delly

'Ello dear friend

I didn't know you had issues with your ovaries. What have they been injecting you wit?. So are you saying you would prefer to just get rid of them?? If so, tell them that at your apptment.

With ref the other matter. I don't ever use Facebook. I avoid it like the plague, as I've heard so many people have personal probs/upsets with. I'm so sorry YOU have had personal probs with. Suggest you gather everyone together (is this at school?) and make your explanations and/or apologies for any misunderstandings. Literally kick it in the Goolies, i.e. sort. Or if you can't get them together, print a letter out to give to them, also explaining you're still recovering from the vagaries of your BC trauma and treatment during the last year Then don't use Facebook again. There really is no need for it? At least with emails they're "private". Faaar too much personal stuff gets put on-line these days for all and sundry to see/view. My attitude is, the less personal info/details I have on-line - the better.

You do not want this on top when you're desperately trying to get back in the saddle on track again.

Hope you somehow get it sorted soon.

Loadsa love Dellywellydingdong xxx

Rosebud6

Oh Tina. That's awful. I would block her and her friend. You don't need that negativity and bitchiness in your life. You can post anything you are comfortable with on your own fb. Is there anyone at work that you can speak about what is happening?

As for your ovaries I am in a similar situation. I cannot have tamoxifen so they want me to have monthly injections and anastrazole both of which have side effects which I have concerns about. I haven't started them yet as I am awaiting a second opinion. I feel that having ovaries removed is a better option but my consultant is not at all keen x
Tandy 4
Community Champion

Oh Delly I have missed you! ☺️

No hun, no complications just the dates doing round and trying not to think...... this time last year......blah blah....... I've apt to discuss removal of ovaries as being at higher risk as mine was hormone receptive! I'm having monthly injections to suppress them so asked why aren't they being whipped out? I'm 50, baby days are done and figure while they're still in me I'm at risk regardless if they're working it not!?!? 

Oh guys, it's a long stupid story. But, I returned to work beginning of term 5 was ago. All going well then BAM! A colleague has stirred the **bleep** accusing me of posting an inappropriate post on my private FB page....... Long story short, she's not a friend of mine on FB, however it's come to light that a so called mutual friend has been showing her my posts for the past year! And 'she's angry and upset by them'....... but clearly couldn't confront me as SHE SHOULDNT HAVE SEEN THEM!!!

Few weeks ago, on my way to work, I went via garage for petrol and had a near miss with another car! bloody idiot who nearly hit me at a roundabout.... my right of way!! That same day a friend posted a funny pic and i shared it!

It was a picture of BooBoo bear saying, 'Every day I arrive at work with good intentions and a great attitude......... then idiots happen.' It was meant as a joke, trying to chill about incident and about me arriving/driving to work encountering idiots on road!!!! This colleague took offence, and for over a week has nipped at me, glared, ignored me in conversations or in passing and has bad mouthed me to rest of staff about my thinking they're idiots. 

All this unrest and bad feeling (as I was under confident returning to work facing new members of staff that started as I went off sick) has taken its toll on my emotional state. I collapsed Tuesday, passed out. Dr said due to anxiety and mind and body now dealing with everything that I've been through on reflection now treatment finished. 

So....,.. off again till after the tattie hols. Angry that 'they' will think it's a sign of my guilt? Weakness etc...... but I refuse to be bullied! Xxx 

delly

Oh Tina darlin,

What the flip is all that about - you collapsing etc. And WHY couldn't you face you're yearly diag?? Are you saying you've had further complications? as you mentioned ovaries?? And what's all this about being "Victimised" by another member of staff?? What's goin on? Please do let us know if you feel able to.

Hey - We'll gang up and come sort her or him out if you like flower. Won't we girls??!

Loadsa love

Dellywellydingdong xxx

delly

Thats fandabidozee news ClaireCs66.

How lovely to hear from you and everyone else again.

Peggycat Ruth and I had recent contact through email, when I was desperately sad to have to have had my cat put to sleep. Needed some contact with and support from a fellow cat woman/lover.Thanks Ruthy - meant a great deal.

A-Faed - Glad you've been doing so well and good luck with the op in November. Let us know how you do.

Lovely to see you again Marydan. Your 1/2 way through. Keep kicking at it

Lotsa of love to all Dellywelly xxx 

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Hi everyone!!!! Yeah good to hear from all the 2015'ers!!

I'm afraid I've been away from the posts though have read some through notifications. Finished active treatment in June and I thank you all from the bottom if my heart for the support and love I've received through this thread and forum. But I had to take a step back as I neared the yearly anniversary of diagnosis in August I couldn't face it. 

Im coping on my medication and have apt next week with gynae consultant. My plastics consultant says to let him know when I want to go for reduction non surgical side but need decide on ovaries first. 

Sadly im signed off again through anxiety and stress. Encountered a nasty member of staff who's knocked me off my feet and I'm feeling victimised by her and another. Collapsed Tuesday morning in work and GP without hesitation signed me off straight away. On plus side I've just come in from a nice tea out with group of girls I'm close to from my McMillan group. Xx 

aside from this blip, I'm doing well...... be relieved to get first mammogram check up done end next month!! Xxx

marydan

So very happy for you Cs66. I am currently on day 9 of 19 rads so am getting near the end of this hard road but it is so nice to see how well you are now doing. Mary xxx
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hooray, great to see this thread revived. So nice to see people diagnosed in 2015 doing so well. Who would have thought this time last year we'd be this positive!

Sending hugs to all. 

Ruth

xx

A.Faed

Hi Claire, glad you're feeling so positive, we have all been through a lot in the last year or so! Life is almost back to normal for me too, got a hysterectomy due in late November, so not quite done with hospitals yet! 

It it would be nice to hear how everyone is doing now xx

Cs66

Hello everyone, I thought I would resurrect Jill's thread as it a year tomorrow since I was first diagnosed and all the lovely people here really helped me get through those first hideous days when I was coming to terms with all that I would have to face.

i am pleased to say that I am really well now. I am keeping everything crossed it stays that way! I am back at work, my family are happy and I Hav just bought  a new horse. A year ago I could never have Imagined getting to where I am now! 

It was a long hard journey with lots of bumps in the road, two mxs, chemo, cold cap rads and tamoxifen but life is good!! I appreciate every single day now! Out of bad comes  good and I think I am a nicer person now who will never take anything for granted again!

thank you everyone on this thread who gave me such support during te early days. 

I hope everyone us doing well and enjoying life,

claire xxxxxx

cornflower

Hi Rosebud, I understand how you feel.  My daughter is 14 and was really sweet with me during the weeks I was awaiting results and surgery but now I am 'better', life goes on as normal for teenagers!  I also sometimes feel like you, in that I have often felt the urge since my mastectomy and immediate reconstruction to hide away on isolation island!  x

Rosebud6

I am glad to hear you are feeling better Claire. You have had a really hard year xx
Cs66

Somebody on ths forum once described the BC journey as "life interrupted". That's how I see it. I ve written off he last ten months and now I'm ready to start living again.
Enjoy your holiday and come back recharged and ready to face the next hurdle.
Claire xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Try and enjoy your holiday ,prognosis for most women with breast cancer is very good and getting better with advances in treatment all the time .Some years really do seem to have more than their fair share of s*** don't they ?You have turned back to Rosebud ,things is looking up!!!!!
Rosebud6

I feel like I know you all a bit having followed your journeys and it helps to know that the future isn't so bleak. I am supposed to be packing for my holiday but am spending more time deciding what I need to take into hospital. My travel insurance were great and will still cover me so that is a relief.
I will be glad to get June over with. My husband has just been diagnosed with a type of skin cancer, not the worst type luckily and my eldest daughter had a miscarriage this month too.
Jill1998
Community Champion

That's weird ,happened last year once and they changed my name to Joll !!! Yes it certainly does dominate your thoughts and in many ways it is better to share your darkest thoughts with people outside your family and friends as you can be completely honest and no need to be positive to protect people's feelings .We all totally understand how you are feeling .
Rosebud6

I think the talking on here will definitely help as I don't want my family to think I only have one topic of conversation although it is the only thing on my mind most of the time.
For some reason my username has changed so I have emailed the moderators.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes we all prefer the vodka and chocolate but needs must!!I certainly helped me to talk to other people going through the same thing (still does ) it's a sanity saver,makes you feel less abnormal and alone .
Rosebud6

So far the vodka and chocolate are appealing but I hate most veg so sprouts and kale are probably out. This thread has helped a lot in accepting that I am not alone in being scared, angry, and generally emotionally a bit unstable. It made me realise that I am actually lucky and my treatment plan is (so far) relatively straightforward. Work has helped to keep my mind off things as not that many people knew but they all do now.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Rosebud,glad to see you picked up on the vodka chocolate sprout tip!!!!You can also dip curly kale in chocolate and it has similar healing properties ....If you have read through the whole thread I guess you will know how pole axed I was when first diagnosed it really is like a bomb exploding in your life ,I found other people's reactions very difficult to deal with and despite their best intentions people really did say the most unhelpful things ,eg stay strong ,think positive .... And yes just because you have cancer doesn't mean your teenager will be suddenly transformed into a less selfish individual !!!It really is a roller coaster of emotions like you say ,hits you when you least expect it sometimes .You do eventually get back on an even keel ,the first few weeks are very hard.Jill.
Rosebud6

Thanks Sue. I am having awful mood swings. I have just ranted at my 15 year old as she wouldn't go into the shop to get bread so I could avoid a nosy work colleague who was just going in. I know it's not her fault but it doesn't bode well as she is a typical selfish teen so I think we have more rows to come. I should be on a high as I have just been told my LNB was negative but I seem to be having the opposite reaction. My daughter has her prom tomorrow and we go on a long planned holiday the following day but I just feel like crawling into bed and hibernating x

Rosebud6

Hi Claire. Thank you for your welcome.  I am booked for mastectomy and reconstruction with expander on 29th July. I was told that I could probably have had a lumpectomy but due to the size and position I would probably lose the nipple and have to have some jigging about of the breast tissue to fill the gap. Either way I need a mastoplexy on the other side as I have marked ptosis (droop) as my surgeon pointed out.

Apparently my breasts are dense and it has taken mammogram, mri, ultrasound, biopsy, another ultrasound with markers and another mammogram to determine what is going on so follow up would be tricky. I am just thankful that I found the lump as otherwise it would have been missed x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Rosebud6,

Welcome to this most amazing forum, where we can rant, rave, cry, laugh and support each other. 

How far have you got with your diagnosis - biopsy results yet? 

We are all here to help and support, as and when you need it.

Hugs

Sue xx

Cs66

I'm glad you've fond us rosebud! There's a huge amount of support here and it will help you through.

its a tough ride but you will get through it and will find strength and reserves you never thought you had. Have you got a treatment plan yet?

love and hugs

claire xxx

Rosebud6

Hi. I am new here but over the last few days I have read this whole thread which has helped as I was on a real downer before then. I was diagnosed on 10th June after accidentally finding myself on the rollercoaster that no one wants to ride. I am in the first group of dips. I was given no written information but found this site from a leaflet I picked up so ordered lots of relevant literature. I have since been told that all of the BCN thought someone else had given me the information pack but I am glad I found this forum as I was floundering. What would I have done without learning about chocolate coated vodka sprouts.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Enjoy your holiday Claire,you have certainly earnt it!!!!
Cs66

I found the support here invaluable and it really helped me cope through some very low moments. I am glad I can be of help to others and I'm sure as you go along your own bc path you will be there for others too.
I'm glad you are feeling calmer. The waiting game is definitely the hardest part mentally.m and emotionally as you don't know what you are dealing with and imagine all sorts of scenarios!
Claire xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

We have all been there and understand .You will fell better when the bugger (whatever size it may be) has been removed !0
rs123

Thank you all so much for the reassurance, it has helped me to calm down. I've found these forums so helpful right from when I waiting for my initial referral to the breast clinic.

a friend has just been round to bring me chocolate which always helps!

I really do appreciate the support on here from people who obviously have their own struggles that they are dealing with and yet take the time to respond to help others. 

Cs66

Hi rs123, 

i just wanted to add to the words of reassurance. I had one hell of a waiting game before my final diagnosis. What started as one small tumour ended up as three 12mm, 16mm and 23mm. The third and biggest one had not shown up in any scans, mammogram or ultrasound as I has such dense breast tissue. I think even the doctors were surprised! I was devasated as the full picture emerged, but it didn't change my prognosis and I wouldn't even have had to have chemo if my lymph nodes had been clear. It was all grade 2 er+ her-. 

I finished chemo 8 weeks ago and rads last Friday. I'm back at work and go on holiday to Italy next week. When I was at your stage in the journey I couldn't imagine feeling as I do now. I feel well and positive.

hang on in there, it will get easier and there are lots of lovely ladies here to hold your virtual hand.

love and hugs

claire xxx

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi rs123

Your thoughts and worries are so understandable. I had the same ones - I could not even feel my lump, they discovered it on a routine mammogram. Even the surgeon had real problems feeling it - as the acual 'lump' was about 20mm and right behind my nipple. 

I hope you regain your confidence in the many people involved in your treatment plan. You may be working with different teams. The only 'constant' I have is my Breast Cancer Care nurse. First the surgeon's team, then the oncologist team, then the chemo team and eventually the radiology team.

Once you have had your operation and the pathology results - a treatment plan will be put into place - and you are very much part of that. No decision will be made without you. So you will be in more control, as you move through the relevant processes.

The NHS really is absolutely fabulous in ensuring we have the best treatment for our individual diagnosis possible.They work to strict guidelines, to ensure we all have the best possible outcome.  I am so sorry that  you have not been able to experience this in your early stages of diagnosis. My guess is that the strains and stresses vary in different NHS areas.

Enjoy your next two weeks - it is good to take your mind of it all.

Hug 

Sue xx

rs123

Thank you for all the helpful replies. It's just set my brain off again on a 'how long as it been there before I noticed' and 'where else has it spread to in the meantime'. Am trying to organise lots of things for the next 2 weeks to try and keep myself busy and occupied with other/nice things.

thinks it's knocked my confidence in the staff too as its changed from 2.1 to 3.8 depending on which bit of paperwork you're looking at it even though all relates to the same tests!

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Jill

I so agree with you - I also think the waiting is the worst thing. When results change, as they do for some of us - it is especially stressful. Everytime, when we have just come to terms with one blow - another follows.

I started with 20mm, which increased to 30mm and after op 110mm - from Grade 2 to Grade 3.

Rolling with the punches - knowing it was out was fabulous! No more there - and now the adjuvant treatment to ensure the b.. does not come back. 

Although it appears to be frighteningti have such an increase in size (was due to the type of cancer it was - lobular invasive) it did not make much difference to my prognosis - it is good. So I put all my worries aside and am concentrating on 'sailing' through chemo and the following rads.

Thankfully I have work to keep me focussed, which is absolutely great.

Sue xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Very hard when you have got your head round one set of results and something sets the cat among the pigeons and increases your anxiety.I was 3 weeks from diagnosis til my op then 2 weeks til results post op,there is a lot of anxious waiting in this cancer lark and it's not nice .It is true that they are really only making an educated guess re size of tumour on mammogram I think most people's does increase after results of op.
Mumoftwo

Try not to stress yourself too much. My lump started at 9mm on ultrasound, became 1.3cm on mri and was actually 2cm when removed. As Charys says, until it is removed they can't acurately predict the size. For some people it does turn out to be smaller than predicted.  And be reassured that bigger lumps are not worse than smaller ones. One things for sure though, you will feel better once it's been whipped out! Good luck for the 12th! Michelle x

rs123

Thanks charys, think I'd just got my head round the diagnosis and was struggling with the 3 week wait till surgery anyway then this has just thrown me.

Charys
Community Champion

You know the old phrase here rs123.... ' it's not the size that counts'....well it's relevant lol It doesn't necessarily mean the lump has been there longer than someone who has one at 1.5 cms, the cells may have just replicated more quickly. Your dr. Knows what they are talking about, it also doesn't mean it has spread to lymph nodes, it can be a very discreet contained area no matter the size. I know at this stage of uncertainty it only takes minor changes in facts to make us very jittery and upset, it is entirely understandable.....but to be honest until the thing is removed the exact size won't be know. People have had smaller sizes after biopsy and larger. The main point is in a matter of days it will be gone and you can get on with your active treatment. 😊

Sorry, I wish I could help more

Charys x