cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Not sure about Tramadol, was thinking about Codeine Phosphate but prob same principle ask doctor but get a repeat prescription so you have options.
Sarahd-1

Thanks sheena I will do that:) Thats really helpful and Yil Im so sorry to hear that. Are you ok? xxxxxxxxx
Sarahd-1

Does tramadol help with inflamation? I am going to ask my oncologist tomorrow as I have just been out with my cousin and she said that if she knew what she knows now she probably wouldnt have had chemo for the same reasons. I had 3 lumps the biggest was 9mm and the other 2 were smaller! So I am a bit confused with the 6 out of 14 lymph nodes bit sorry for asking advice as from tomorrow I am taking a notepad with me and ask who ever is with me to right down as much as they can. It wasnt waffle Francine very helpful advice thank you 🙂 xxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Ditto what Francine said about painkillers Sarah,they also help with inflammation,better to take low dose consistently and be more comfortable.
Fuffs123

Sarah, yes ask your GP to prescribe you some more painkillers, you shouldn't have to suffer. I also tried to stop mine too early but hadn't taken on board that they help the inflammation also, which all surgery causes. Some people will get it worse than others depending on their body's rate of healing. It's not the same for everyone. I wouldn't masage myself, as it's still healing but if it helps you, that's good. It does take some tome for your letters to arrive but I found that asking my GP to chase them and also contacting your consultant's secretary works well. Unfortunately, the worload for the sectrataries who type up all the letters is usually high so that can cause the delay but they are usually lovely and will scan and email you a copy across. You have also hit the holiday period, which does't help I think. I too decided against chemo after sering the onc. Although mine was Grade 3 invasive with DCIS, the nodes were clear and
i'm 63. Chemo would only have improved my chances by 2% so she felt it wasn't worth the side effects. However, she left the final decision to me. I will be having mx anyway now as 2 lumpectomies haven't got a clear margin, which is 2mm im my surgeion's view. I never knew what constitutes a clear margin varies from one health authority to another and some areas don't ask for any margin apparently, just removal of the affected cells. Having BC is a real learning curve I've discovered over the last 7 months! Every appt I went to and it still happens now, I couldn't remember anything that was said to me by the time I got to the car. I sure it's your brain's way of protecting you from things you don't want to hear and shock also. Having somone with you is very important and one of my friends even asked the surgeon if she could record the conversation which he was fine with! Not sure how I feel about that one? Would I want to keep replaying it all? Anyway, enough waffle! X Francine
Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you have op over Chris,it's a really anxious time waiting for results,wish they could do it quicker seems to take forever .If only we all had a crystal ball decisions would be easier to make, but we don't.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sarah ,ring up G.P and see if they will give you repeat prescription of the painkillers ,no point in being in pain, you probably stopped taking them too soon.
Caffy

Hi everyone. My op went ok, and I'm just a bit sore really. Feels a bit swollen this morning (haven't looked yet!) but I guess that s not unexpected. Just taking paracetamol and ibuprofen plus omeprazole. My nodes were clear thank goodness. I felt really relieved for about 24 hours but now I'm starting to worry about clear margins. I was borderline mastectomy/mammoplasty and I went for the mammoplasty but I think if not enough taken this time will have to get rid of the lot which I find quite scary. Results not until 7th August and then my lovely consultant is going to be on holiday so I have to see someone else 😕. Glad to hear MadAnge is starting her recovery, hope we hear from SpongeBob soon. I took my iPad into hospital with me but didn't ever turn it on which is most unusual for me! Happy Sunday everyone. Chris x
Sarahd-1

Sadly I have run out of the very strong ones. I have been told to massage it that works for 5 minutes. My fault as far as the tablets are concerned I tried to stop taking them as much thinking I would be ok and then ran out I'm not sure if you are the same but paracetomel and ibuprofen don't do much xxxxxxx
yil

Hi

I had 25 lymph nodds and 24 had to be removed.  Also about several inches of Latissimus  Dorsi from myback shoulder blade area had to be removed.

Yil

missmore

Hi Sarah
It's a personal choice, the oncologist gave me the facts and figures and then told me that I had a week to decide. She left it up to me, totally cr*p week followed but in the end it wasn't for me, I have to live with the choice now but I couldn't face chemo and all it entailed so rads start on 6th August
brilliant you have a good person to take with you
re copy of letters, I jus said to oncologist when she had my files open, can I have a copy of that letter and cc me into further letters and she was cool with that
sheena xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

R u taking decent painkillers Sarah, may be worth it for a good nights sleep even if drug induced,particularly if you are in discomfort.
Sarahd-1

Ok cool I will do that. thank you for all your advice. Xxxxx
Jobey68

Sarah it can take a little while for the letters to arrive but you should get copies, I've got all mine from original visit to Clinic up to finishing rads, I didn't get one from my oncologist appointment which I had in April until I'd finished Rads in June, I've got quite a collection now but it's good to have it all in black and white, I always took Hubby with me as he would ask everything we had discussed before hand but bizarrely flew out of my head when I got there! Xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hopefully he will have more info now,my. GP seemed to get info within about a week of my appointments.
Sarahd-1

When I went to see my g.p a couple of weeks ago my g.p had nothing from the hospital apart from my original diagnosis xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes I think it may be good idea,it is hard to take in information in state of high anxiety .They do use a lot of jargon too.
Sarahd-1

Thanks again sheens and Jill. Don't know what I would do without this forum and talking to you all. So Sheens if it's 2 percent it's not worth it? Are you having radiotherapy? Will the onc explain this on Monday. Thankfully my mother in law is coming with me and she is amazing she tries to repeat everything on the way home as she knows I don't take it all in xxxxxxxxx
missmore

Jill I got copies of all my letters and they were very helpful x
missmore

Hi Sarah
get armed with as much info before you go, find out what benefits you could gain from having it. I turned chemo down because only 2% benefit, not enough to put myself through that x
good luck on Monday, hopefully you can take someone with you to support and remind you of the questions you might ask
will be thinking of you
sheena xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

I really think you need someone with you to listen and take notes,I can't remember hardly anything I was told at any of my appointments I was too anxious and just wanted to get out as fast as possible.You can ask for copy of letter they send to G.P,don't knoa whether that is a help or not as prob in doctor speak.
Sarahd-1

Oops sorry miss more I have onc appointment on Monday xxxxx
Sarahd-1

She said it's because I had 6 out of 14 lymph nodes had cancer cell but they had removed them. I must admit I find it hard to take all the information in when I go there.as she talks so bloody fast too xxxxxxx
missmore

Hi Sarah
did the onc give you a sensible reason behind chemo? What % benefit will be gained? X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes Sarah it does, just replied to your message.
Sarahd-1

I agree with having the chemo and know that it's the best thing to do. I think that the first thing they do should be the ct scan. Instead of mammogram, biopsy, breast surgery. Etc.. We have all been through so much mentally and physically. Hope this makes sense xxxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

So much of that involved in this blooming business Sarah,so bad when everything is so anxiety provoking and scary,and they made you wait an extra week.Hope you get scan through soon,I am sure it's just routine,your nodes will have done the biz.Chemo not nice but an investment in your future ,3 months of not the best of health ,followed by lifetime free of the bugger.
Sarahd-1

hi jill no not yet. i havent got a date yet. Thats why I said its a waiting game again. xxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Did you have scan Sarah?
Sarahd-1

Thank you ladies, I was in quite a bit of shock on Thursday as my Consultant all along had said that I would not need chemo. She has chopped and changed all the way through. I did get p***ed Jill. It was needed. Just got to get my head round this bit again now another amount of waiting on results! Hope all the ladies who had their operations and results are all ok xxxxxxxxx
MadAnge

Hi Sarah, not the news any of us wanted for you. At least you have a treatment plan in place and we are all here xxx big hugs have a good couple of glasses of vino 🙂 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷xxxx
Fuffs123

It's tough Sarah, not want you wanted to hear but as others have said the nodes are just doing their job, good on them. Hope you're having a good drink tonight. You'll find the strength to go thro your treatment and say goodbye to the sh*** y BC. We're all here for you. X
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sorry it was not what you were hoping for Sarah,hopefully your lymph nodes have done their job and caught the bugger ,just because it's on your nodes doesn't mean it has gone beyond it's their job to stop that .CT scan only a precaution.Get p****d and deal with what comes next tomorrow.Big hugs Jill.
Sarahd-1

My results were not was I was hoping for. 6 out of 14 lymph nodes taken out. But the 3 lumps I'm my breast very small. 6 sessions of chemo and 3 weeks of radiotherapy the worst bit is the. C.T scan to make sure it's gone nowhere else is more scary! So I'm having a few drinks so tomorrow I will get my head round it.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Do it then Ange ,it's what your body needs.
MadAnge

Thanks Jill 🙂 it's all I want to do:) take pain killers and sleep 🙂 xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

I didn't feel much like communicating for a few days after my op and mine wasn't as drastic as yours Ange,I was really tired for a couple of weeks ,was in bed by 7pm and slept for hours.
MadAnge

Hi ladies still have floaty head and pain is ok on meds. I have private messaged spongebob but I guess she has not got connection or is still not with us yet. Think the answer to this is keep sleeping 🙂 hope your results are ok . It will be my turn in a couple of weeks xxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

You could do something in the house that you have been putting off and hate doing like shredding credit card bills or cleaning the bath......
Sarahd-1

I'm watching undercover boss USA ! 🙂 very strange programme lol xxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sarah my appointment was at 3.15 it's a long day, you can't concentrate on anything else.You will just have to watch Jezza I'm afraid .....,.
Sarahd-1

Thank you fuffs ange and Jill. It is that waiting game again but I suppose at the end of today I will know my treatment plan. Thank you as always for your kind words and support. How are you feeling this morning ange?
Any news on spongbob? Also good luck chris(caffy) with your op today xxxxxxxx
MadAnge

Hi Sarah, wishing you the best of luck today. All I can offer you is take lots of deep breaths and remember we are all here to support you too whatever your outcome. Big hugs xxxx hope all the other ladies are ok this morning. Thinking of you Spongebob xxxx
Fuffs123

I'm the expert on waiting by now! But the bad news is I can't offer you any advice but to try and keep busy. It doesn't get any easier unfortunately and afternoon appts are horrid. You can only try and view it as another step on the journey to dealing with the b******y BC and seeing it off. Crossing my fingers for a good result for you and even if it isn't what you hoped for, you'll deal with it. We're strong ladies!! 💪💪💪
Sarahd-1

Results day today! Any tips on how to keep calm. My appointment not till 3pm! Then I don't normally get seen ti about 5pm as the clinic is always so behind xxx
Fuffs123

Ange, keep taking the tablets! Rest and don't overdo it.
Sarahd-1

Hi ange you must be glad it's all done 🙂 and like Jill said take all the drugs that are available. Xxxxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hope you are getting looked after Ange,dose yourself up with painkillers and sleep.
MadAnge

Hi ladies quick update before I go back to sleep. Op went well, very sore and in quite a bit of pain. am home with my drain but Ok. Not heard from sponge but she was having rebuild too , so if she hurts like I do I guess it may be awhile till she posts. Thank you for all the support ladies it's keeping me going xxxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck with your op tomorrow Chris(Caffy) and Sarah with your results.