1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Sarahd-1

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Hi Lisa it's good that they are moving quick. I had operation first but my friend had chemo first and then op like yourself. She coped very well and said she felt better about having the chemo first to get it out of the way. That was 3 years ago and she is doing very well. In fact she is one of the most positive people I know.. The waiting can be the worst part so it's great that they are starting so soon. I would stock up this week on things that willake chemo weeks more comfortable. Get a diary as I have been told that if you write down when you feel bad it tends to follow a pattern each month so you can take you'reedicaton before on the following month so it will be easier. Buy a thermometer to take temp if you feel hot and make sure you have pineapple ice lollies or pineapple ice cubes in the freezer. Have a look at amother thread on here going through treatment then chemo monthly threads and look for the August 2015. I hope I haven't waffled to much and hope this is of some help to you xxxxxxxxxxx
Fuffs123

Yep definitely add cheesy wot sits to the research trial! Well meaning friend suggested I might think about eating a more healthy snack in view of my 'condition'! That prompted me to open another bag and have a gin and tonic! Felt much more healthy after that, lol. My op is on the 28th which is actually quite good timing as my business will be shut over the Bank Holiday anyway. No phones to answer. Barry, it's a standing joke on here that by the time you've had to show your boobs to every medic that you see, at every appointment, you develop a knee jerk reaction to anyone wearing a mask or a set of scrubs. Before you know it, you've taken your top off! Fortunately my dentist is a very nice lady but she does wear a mask! I have had rather a complicated medical history and spent 10 days in hospital also with a problem with my bowel. Thus, I have also shown my a***e to every medic in Northampton and Leicester also! My other claim to fame is asking for a tumour mayo sandwich in a cafe shortly after I was diagnosed. Clearly I had it on my brain but fortunately I did end up with a tuna mayo sandwich. OH and I had a good laugh but poor girl serving looked rather dumbstruck. We've had difficult times over the last 8 months, cried and laughed but just keep plodding on. You can only take it a day at a time and try not to think too far ahead. You will get through it together. x Francine
Jill1998
Community Champion

Lost summer for most of us that should read ...
Jill1998
Community Champion

It's been the "lost summer" for most of Lisa,what a shame about your holiday ,can you claim on insurance ?If so plan something nice for when you have got to the end of this blooming thing.
lisajane7878

Hi Sarah don't worry at all. Well I went to see a different consultant today and he wants to do chemo first then surgery after. He thinks he will still do mastectomy after but he wants to take hold of it a bit quicker and monitor the shrinkage of the tumour. So looks like I'm starting chemo next week!!! And to think I should have been sitting in a beach in Ibiza xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes ,Im really looking forward to it ,bring on the radiation !!!!!
MadAnge

MadAnge

Hi all hope u r all ok. Are you ready for tomorrow Jill. big hugs for you xx hi to all tbe new guys and gals whi have joined our thread. We are all at different stages and we are helping each other in this journey we don't want to be on. Take care xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

How were the battered sprouts??
Sarahd-1

Damn right! 🙂 xxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yep, Christmas chemo over, Easter reclaim your life from this blooming thing eh??
Sarahd-1

I will have radiotherapy in the new year and those tablets and then a boob job. So maybe I should say roll on Easter 🙂 xxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yeh ,just think all be over then,what a good Christmas gift!
Sarahd-1

Yes it does work like that. They say it's easier that constantly find a vein during chemo as they can harden. But I have to wear a waterproof on my arm to have a shower.! Roll on Christmas xxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sorry pic ..
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes ,hopefully things will calm down a bit and I can concentrate on radiating my boob!!!How does the pict work is it like a canular?
Sarahd-1

Yes she will and not such a worry as you are going through enough right now xxxx
Sarahd-1

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes ,all her friends and family are agreed it is right thing .but hard, she will have better quality of life near to us and. 24 hr care but still v sad ,anyway back to talking about cancer !!!!!
Sarahd-1

You can only do what you can do. And 60 miles is a long way especially in emergencies I lived very close to my dad and a friend of mine rented a room at my dad's who was there most evenings so his circumstances were very different. There were times when I came close it's such a difficult illness xxxxxxx
Cath50

Thanks lorna, Jo ,Jill looks like 6-8 weeks is the consensus. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to work in between. The hospital gave me a two week sick note after the surgery and that runs out the day I get the results on SNB and if the margins are clear. I feel a bit stir crazy after just a week off. How was it for all of you ? On a more important note I will try Turkish delight but I have been on a CET trial or coffee eclair therapy if you don't know the clinical term.
With regard to tears- I have had a few little moments but it's the silly things that have set me off- I think the enormity of it all passed me by or is yet to hit. My cancer was picked up on my first routine mammogram so I had no idea what to expect and just went with the flow.
my breast is blue and yellow and black quite a remarkable sight but pretty pain free.
lovely to chat to you all. Cath x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes, it's not a relaxing time,she is causing mayhem and putting self at risk even with 4xs a day care and we are 60 miles away so sadly we are having to go in that direction.Husband v upset about it indeed.

Sarahd-1

Oh Jill I know how tough that can be. My dad had dementia for 8 years he sadly passed away in September. We managed to keep him at home which was his wish but we had to have respite breaks just to keep us same at times or if we were going away. So dealing with being ill and coping with that as well. Your one tough cookie xxxxxxxxx
Sarahd-1

I think the dentist might have got a filling if francine got them out 🙂 xxxx
Cath50

Barry ... What a great idea breasts out for a free filling, I think I might try that next time  CathCath

Jill1998
Community Champion

Sarah,next couple of days should be fun,first radiotherapy session followed by trying to get mother in law with dementia to agree to go to care home on Saturday, it's all about the fun this weekend!!!Better stock up on Galaxy....
Jill1998
Community Champion

Can't believe you have had to do this 3 times Francine!Admirable restraint shown at dentist again,well done!!Do you want us to include cheesy wotsits in trial?What date is your op?
bazza7676

Lol thanks for the welcome Francine. You ladies are my inspiration 🙂 but why would you get them out for the dentist? Do you get a free filling?
Jill1998
Community Champion

Battered sprouts with sweet and sour sauce ...nice!!!
Fuffs123

Evening ladies and the lovely Barry! What a great support you are to your other half (or OH as they say on here). You'll he used to all the abbreviations eventually. Welcome to the new ladies, now members of a club no one wants to join but which is full of lovely people. Had my pre op assessment yesterday for the third lumpectomy. I could tell them what to do by now! Even the BCN said 'oh you again'! Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, not the most tactful lady in the room! The tele in the room was showing a programme about the increase in cremations in the UK, very cheery, lol. Comforted myself with bar of galaxy and some cheesy wot sits, which I shared with rather a terrified lady next to me. Clearly her first time for a boob op poor thing. Managed the dentist today without getting the boobs out (sorry Barry) but it was a close thing! You won't be surprised to hear that my iPhone, which I put through a hot wash with my dressing gown, will cost a lot to repair so it's an insurance job. Ah well, having BC has given me a great sense of perspective on life, the only benefit I have to say, apart from getting to know all you lovely people. X Francine
Sarahd-1

Hi Lisa I'm so sorry I had to rush off. I was running so late do hope I didn't come across as being short it wasn't meant if I can help with any questions please feel free to ask. Hope you are feeling ok. Welcome cath. That must have been some eventful reading and a bit of a marathon 🙂 I had my pic line fitted! And will have to have another scan! My oncologist is new and very thorough she doesn't think there is anything wrong but she said she wAnts to cover everything! So tonight I think I'm gong to treat myself to a Chinese and see if they do battered vodka chocolate sprouts just for a slight change 🙂 how are you all this evening? And Jill how are you today? Hope you are feeling ok about tomorrow xxxxxxxxx
Cath50

Thanks lorna, Jo ,Jill looks like 6-8 weeks is the consensus. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to work in between. The hospital gave me a two week sick note after the surgery and that runs out the day I get the results on SNB and if the margins are clear. I feel a bit stir crazy after just a week off. How was it for all of you ? On a more important note I will try Turkish delight but I have been on a CET trial or coffee eclair therapy if you don't know the clinical term.
With regard to tears- I have had a few little moments but it's the silly things that have set me off- I think the enormity of it all passed me by or is yet to hit. My cancer was picked up on my first routine mammogram so I had no idea what to expect and just went with the flow
my breast is blue and yellow and black quite a remarkable sight but pretty pain free.
lovely to chat to you all. Cath x

Jill1998
Community Champion

No Barry it's a joke!!!Humour is helping a lot of us through this, may be a bit "black" or daft at times but a good laugh is as good as a good cry.
bazza7676

Are you really eating vodka infused brussel sprouts?? We've been given rubiks cubes at work. might take my mind off things
familytree

Hi Cath nice to meet you. Rads are usually 6/8 weeks later to give you time to heal. They are a piece of cake really once you get over the anxiety of what to expect. You sound like you have worked out a good balance on the being at home front. I'm back into reading so enjoyed that luxury. Love Lorna x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Cath,glad we have kept you entertained please feel free to join in any of the clinical trials latest one being Turkish Delight,I am still convinced by the vodka injected chocolate covered sprouts but they do taste disgusting .I am starting radiotherapy tomorrow and had my op on the 18th June.They need to wait for wounds to heal well first ,average seems to be 6-8 weeks but depends on how busy they are also.
Jobey68

Hi Cath, my radiotherapy started about 6 weeks after my lumpectomy op, I think thats about the norm really then you are pretty much healed up, rads are pretty straight forward and nothing to worry about, I was spared chemo so can't comment on that one, good luck for your results and hopefully you will be heading straight  to rads too! Xx Jo 

Jobey68

Barry I couldn't cry, the tears just wouldn't come, i was in such a state of shock I was numb, mine came weeks after when my niece lost her baby, I sobbed for hours at the unfairness of it all, I would have gone through anything to have spared her that, and I haven't cried since, it's just your reaction to the shock and fear and it was lesson as time goes on, try and concentrate on getting through until the op results as you don't know for Certain until then what treatment path your wife will follow xx 

Cath50

Good afternoon lovely ladies. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and had a lumpectomy last week. I have avoided most of the threads but have been hugely entertained by the vodka sprouts, twiglets, and large amounts of alcohol being consumed in your gang. Reading the 59 pages ( which I did this morning like it was a gripping best seller)  I have seen your journeys and can see the peaks and troughs. To those recently diagnosed I suggest you back track and see how worried some of these lovely ladies have been  when they were in your shoes. Those first few days are a bad place to be. I am doing really well excepting a  really sore armpit where they took the SNB from. Breast healing nicely - I try not to look; off the strong meds nice as they were the constipation was a bummer if you pardon the pun. Back in a week to get my results on WLE and see if I have to have chemo as well as radiotherapy. I try not to watch the crap daytime TV. Short slow walks to the coffee shop or down to the beach - I live in Brighton- good books and the odd film. Anyway keep up the inspirational chat and if anybody can tell me when I might expect radiotherapy to start after lumpectomy it would be nice to hear. Cath x

Jill1998
Community Champion

No ,I think that bit is awful,peoples reactions can just make you feel even more upset because they get upset too, it's exhausting.Get that bit over as quick as you can and then concentrate on you and your wife and what happens next.
bazza7676

I'm better when I'm with her but struggle when not. I think the problem is that we're telling people now and it's not easy.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Barry have you though of going to G P to see if he can give you something to help get you through this?I know it's really hard but your wife needs you to be as calm as you can manage and to try and be reassuring even if that is not exactly how you feel.
bazza7676

Do the tears ever stop?
Sarahd-1

Hi Lisa I'm so sorry I have an appointment to go to now but I will get back to you later. But the ladies on here including my self will do our best to guide you through. We have a centre called the penny brohn centre google it and see if something is local or similar in your area. Are you having chemo first or mastectomy? Xxxxxx
MadAnge

Hi Lisa Jane.i am 40 with 2 kids. I can say from my experience so far they are very thorough and check everything so they give you the best treatment do you can beat this thing. I am not going to say it's not scary and at times painful but you can do it. Big hugs xxx
MadAnge

Hi Amanda, I love shanklin. The waiting for results is tough, I have done lots of waiting as my diagnosis keeps changing. In tbe end I have bad 3 areas they said it had not spread via the biopsies but when I had the masectomy and snb they found it had so I have had the ANC and now wait for more results. I know I am HER2 and ER+ so I am guessing next stage is chemo. I will wait and see. X
lisajane7878

Thanks for responding Sarah. How did you feel after op?? Did you have the body and bone scans? It's just so much to take in. I feel so weak with worry today xx
Sarahd-1

I had a mastectomy Lisa and I'm about to start chemo. These are all normal things. Take someone with you get them to write things down. I know your mind is racing. Before you go write down the questions you want to ask. As you might forget and it's such a difficult time to take information in xxxxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Lisa,I have known women have op within a few days who have just been having lumpectomy and some wait weeks for surgery who have similar diagnosis to you I'm quite sure the speed has nothing to do with seriousness of your diagnosis .Chemo pretty standard if it is in your lymph nodes or if you have certain types of cancer.Easy said I know but try not to let your imagination run riot.Just baca use it is in your nodes does not mean it has gone anywhere else.Good chance surgery will get rid off it all,chemo is to reduce chances of it coming back.
lisajane7878

Well it was my breast nurse that told me all this yesterday as consultant could not see me till Monday and we are due to fly to Ibiza Sunday which we have since decided to cancel. I can't face thinking about a holiday!! I'm going over to see a different consultant today at 4.30 today at a different hospital as I'm wanting to transfer to one which is better known for its breast cancer care. It's all just so much to take in!!! I just worry that it must be an extreme case if they want to do a mastectomy so soon and strong chemo. Please someone reasure me!! Xxx