1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Jobey68

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Francine what a strong lady you are! You so deserve this time to get your clear margins and be able to put this year behind you, wishing you a speedy recovery and will be keeping every thing crossed for you Xx jo
Maria_B

Francine, glad it went well. Fingers crossed for clear margins xx

familytree

June I'm similar to you. Menopause done and dusted by 42 never took Hrt though. I hate the sound of the bone drug and have read it makes bad quality bone and also blocks own bodies repair system at same time. Know a woman who has been on it years and never out of plaster she's broken so many bones! And they have all kind of snapped clean so the Dr says because of the tablet! I'm full osteoporosis the dexa scan says so I guess I should swap to tamoxifen as one onc suggests though other says letrozole works better than tamoxifen in keeping cancer away..also tamoxifen can cause overian cancer...what a choice! Going to take my time deciding..exercise when I'm over s.e of rads and take suppliments they prescribed. Exercise can repair the bone apparently. What have you heard about taking vit D? Not more good news lol x
catchpole

Hi,

I had BC back in jan, had my rads now on tamoxifen,   They reccommened i take  bone builder as although i dont actually have osteoporsis i do have osteoponia, thin bones but then im a thin petite person so i would have, My ,mum sufferred from osteoporosis very badly in fact in end it killed her,i know they say it doesent, but this was 17 years ago and treatments have improved since then.  Do they want you to take Alendronic acid, thats whar i was supposed to take but i read so much about bad side effects i decided not to, I did take a few but to honest it seemed to affect my bowel movements too much,one recognised side effect i thought,no im taking tamoxifen which supposedly helps bones so i really dont need to fill my body with another drug,  I did start taking Vid d 3 but have read that my nor be a good idea.  Hard to know what to do,  My  cancer they thjink was most definitely caused by me taking HRT so long,i had an early menopause like my mum so i took it to prevent osteoporosis, so i felt as little drugs as posssible, apart from Tamoxifen of course.  June

FionaJMD

It is the waiting which is awful, so far for me. I guess as my surgeon only does ops on Mondays, I would have had my op on Monday but bank holiday means I need to wait another week.
A.Faed

Hi Francine, I  have a grade 2, 10mm ductal invasive, so it's a WLE and sentinel node procedure. Wiring and isotopes the day before. Then the dreaded 2 - 3 week wait for results!

Amanda x

bazza7676

Amanda the wait can't be nice, but you seem fairly calm about it all which is good. I still have moments of fears for Nikki, who we've been told because of her age will need chemotherapy and tamoxifen regardless of the results of her full node biopsy.

I've thought this would be the best time to try and grow a beard, but it just looks scruffy and dirty! x
Fuffs123

What are you having done Amanda?
A.Faed

Not until 11th September, Jill. Seems to be taking an age!

Amanda x

Jill1998
Community Champion

When is your op Amanda?
A.Faed

We'll you're such a pro at all this Francine, you're one tough cookie. My interest peaked, too, when you mentioned hubby threatening to tie you to the chair...seriously though, don't go too mad, give yourself plenty of rest.

Glad to hear you're looking after Nikki so well Barry, her recovery will be much assisted by your attentiveness! Each day should get a little easier for you both.

There is so much I have to learn yet...I'm pretty sure I heard a mention of Tamoxifen at one of the meetings...won't know fully until after the op and results, I am ER+ and HER - and had to have the Mirena coil removed as it has progesterone so the surgeon wanted it gone. So I have the joys of various side effects to home I guess! 

Amanda x

familytree

Funny Sheena x Francine taking the calcium vit D supplement but they want me to take bone builder once a week which I'm not happy with. Also one onc wants me to swap to tamoxifen as it's not as bad on bones but other onc says stay on letrozole. dilemma! X
missmore

Francine, delighted to hear your home and battling on x You made me laugh when you said hubby was going to tie you to the chair!......... never mind fifty shades of grey, more like several shades of red and pink with a slodge of blue left over! thats my bloob after rads anyway

Sheena xx

bazza7676

I'm feeding her up on eggs , chicken n tuna at the moment. With a gingerbread man (that her mum made her) as a treat 😉 x
Fuffs123

Is it the calcium supp you're not taking then? I'll have to do a bit of research. Barry, best thing for Nikki is just enough rest and good diet. I was told that the body consumes a lot of calories in the healing process so it's important to feed it up. Little and often works well for me and what you fancy! Everyone heals at a different rate, all in the genes, so don't get too down if you both think things should be further on than they are. I've had to learn extreme patience over the last 8 months believe me! X Francine
familytree

Oh glad it went smoothly for you Francine. Now do what hubby says n chill a bit. Yes I have osteoporosis that showed up in dexa. On supplements but don't want to take bone builder they gave me. Lots of bad reports. X
bazza7676

Glad you're back home safely Francine. Everything seems to be a wait! Does anyone recommend anything, say vitamins or alike for Nikkis recovery and going forward? x
Fuffs123

Morning all. Safely back home after the op. They let me out same day about 6.30 so that was good. Feeling rather groggy from the anaesthetic and morphine but not too much discomfort. Not sure if I have nerves left in that boob now! Now have to wait 3 weeks for the results(again) but I have plenty to do in the business to keep my mind off it, including arranging an office move. Husband is threatening to tie me to the chair and I don't think he has anything exciting in mind, lol. Apparently my DEXA bone density scan had shown I need some extra calcium, the Anastrazole is known to cause a few issues there, because it removes all the oestrogen from your body. So just to remind any ladies on Anastrazole to make sure you are scheduled for one of these scans every so often. Tamoxifen ladies, doesn't affect you by the way, as this acts differently. When I complained to my lovely surgeon that it was giving me bad hot flushes, he grinned and said 'good, it's doing it's job'! If he wasn't so nice , I would have hit him! Barry, thinking of you both. Things will get better I assure you and when the drains come out, she'll feel a lot better. You both just have to take each day at a time and be comforted by all the lovely gifts you've had. Love Francine x
bazza7676

I think she feels some discomfort first thing in the morning as she has been laying in the same position and no drugs for hours x
Jill1998
Community Champion

How is Nikki today Barry?When will she get rids of the drain, she will feel much better then.
bazza7676

Morning ladies and Francine I hope you're OK? x
familytree

Any news on Francine? hope it's all gone well for her. x

Sarahd-1

Me too hope you are ok francine xxxxxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hope you are ok Francine and soon back at home in your own bed .
bazza7676

Pamper weekends to Spain, wow! I've had to go out and buy 2 new vases for flowers! x
familytree

Oh Barry when I got the news I couldn't believe the amount of cards and gifts. From vouchers to pamper weekends to holidays in Spain! Unbelievable and beautiful. Made me cry too. Hey with support like that I owe it to get through all this x x
bazza7676

A few tears from me this afternoon after reading Nikki's card from her work colleagues x
bazza7676

The longest nightmare ever, one that you can't just wake up out of. No nurse today but her brother is visiting later. Oh we need more vases for all the flowers! x
familytree

Oh Barry it's all new territory isn't it. A Damn nightmare but hopefully she will heal quickly for the next step. X
bazza7676

That's good you and your hubby made light of it. A few tears to begin with, but she felt better and fresher after I washed her down. She's resting now, even though she's never liked naps (unlike me) x
Jobey68

Morning Barry, my hubby helped me shower and taped up my dressings with carrier bags, certainly gave us a giggle!
bazza7676

Morning everyone. Woke up feeling anxious this morning, need to take a pill to calm myself. Nikki needs help washing today, I think not being able to do it herself will upset her. I hope you all have a "good" day though x
Sarahd-1

Good luck francine will be thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxx
familytree

Good luck Francine.. will be thinking of you. x soon be over love x
FionaJMD

Good luck tomorrow Francine!

Fuffs123

Thank you for all your good wishes. Having a final cup of tea and a bun before the eating curfew!! Was very touched by one of my customers, a Buddhist temple, who are saying a special prayer and meditation for me tonight. We're not religious but husband and I asked our respective Gods, he's Catholic and I'm Jewish (interesting combination) to give us a break 🙏 Daughter is agnostic, so she said she ate a Crispy Creme donut in my honour! Very appropriate! Keep on trucking ladies(and Barry of course!) x Francine
missmore

Francine, you are an amazing woman, I can't believe how bloody brilliant you are! sending all positive thoughts and love to you
sheena xxx
bazza7676

Toes are crossed Francine xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

This time Francine,this time....
Fuffs123

Slippers packed! About to have the by now only too familiar pre op shower with the stuff they give you. Doesn't lather at all and smells s bit like carbolic, lovely! Will be a 6am start tomorrow, as we are an hour away from the hospital, hoping I'll be going down for the op fairly early so I don't have to hang around all day. Keep everything crossed for me please. I and the hospital are getting very bored with each other!! X Francine
Jill1998
Community Champion

Jo ,I did reply to your message just in case you think I am ignoring you again !!!
bazza7676

Pleased for you Jo. Before this all I was thinking about was where we're going next june for my 40th! x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow Francine,don't forget your slippers....
Jobey68

It certainly does Barry but it also gets back to some sense of normality before you know it too, we were just having that very conversation funnily enough! 6 months ago today I found a lump which prompted me to go to my doctors and started this whole thing rolling and here I am now out the other side with my first born about to get married and then a lovely holiday in the canaries with hubby to look forward to, life is good again 😊

bazza7676

Life changes in such a short period of time. 3 months ago we were celebrating our 2nd anniversary in Florida visiting Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Now we're at home watching Harry Potter on tv with a drain hanging out of her and I'm praying for her to get through this. Cheery aye!!! x
Sarahd-1

I know what you mean I'm the same but my son has taken a gap year so hopefully I will be back at work by the time he starts next year. Good luck with what ever you decide I wish these employers could not get away with this sort of treatment. But I think it's becoming more like this if you work for any big organisation xxxxx
Ash66

It takes something like this to realise what your priorities are. Unfortunately, I have a mortgage and a teenager who'll be going to university so I still need to work but there are other jobs out there. I'll go back with an open mind and see what happens x
Sarahd-1

Hi ash I totally agree with you. I was made redundant in feb. The job was so stressful and I know they would have been so unsupportive. As they were when my dad's illness got worse. I had 9 Job interviews lined up just before I got diagnosed and this whole experience has made me think I want a stress free no responsibility job when I go back to work xxxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes ,my employers are the same I am better staying off for longer than going back and going off again .Ash ,you sound pretty ground down by all this,look after yourself ,have a nap in the loo whenever you can!!!!
Ash66

Hi Sarah

Yes, you're right they will. I'm past caring to be honest. If I go back and decide I can't cope with the commuting or the stress then I'll ask them to look into ill health retirement and take the money and run. My OH works for a company who are always looking for staff or I'd be happy enough working in a supermarket or something. Life's too short to be miserable. Thanks everyone xx