cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Will do Sarah. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm just off to re-read your lists to make sure I've not forgotten anything crucial. Smiley Happy

Sarahd-1

I think it's a precaution to make sure all ok. I had lots of scans before chemo and it puts you back a lot as you are waiting again! But they can get the results through pretty quickly. 🙂 yay I'm half way through the chemo! 🙂 I'm feeling ok so far fingers crossed it stays that way. Good luck for tomorrow Peggycat first one. I know everyone is different but it's good to get it out of the way and another step closer to getting better let us know how you get on xxxxxxxxx
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Thanks Jill.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Well done Sarah, 3 done.Good luck Peggy tomorrow .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sissy enjoy your wine (medicinal) ,scans are horrible anxiety provoking experiences aren't they.
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hope you don't have to repeat the experience Ange and all will be as smooth as it can be from now on.
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Oh no Ange, poor you. Hope you are on the mend and you manage to get some rest.

Sissy, I do hope you get that glass of wine. I'm absolutely craving one at the moment but with first chemo tomorrow morning I better behave myself tonight. Smoothies and water only for me Smiley Sad

Sarah, seen on another thread you have just finished FEC 3. Well done - a milestone has been reached!

xx

Sissylw1980

Yep, having a pet scan. I've been a bit anxious as to why I'm having this one and not another type, but the breast nurse has reassured me numerous times that its usual practice as my swollen lymph tested positive. Am still pretty scared though about the outcome. Sissy xx
Sarahd-1

Are you having a PET scan sissy? Xxx
Sarahd-1

Hi ange hope you feel better really soon. Hope you can relax at home. Xxxxxxxx
Sissylw1980

This thread has been a great support to me over the last week or so. I'm currently sat in the mobile scanner at Kent and Canterbury hospital with radioactive glucose running around my body. I'm looking forward to having something to eat as have been nil by mouth for 6 hours and am thinking about if I'd like red or white wine later. Sissy xx
MadAnge

Well I woke up this morning in hospital. Had a few issues with temperature and throat. I was put on antibiotics and kept in. Am home now more antibiotics and mouth washes. Just tired as AAU is a busy ward so not much sleep was had by me 😞 xxx hope everyone else is ok xxxx
Sarahd-1

Good luck Sarah and hope maybe you might pop back here and there if you fancy talking about vodka and sprouts 🙂 take care. Xxxxxxxxxxx
MadAnge

Will miss you SpongeBob - but understand hopefully one day we will meet up for that coffee. I will private message you my email address then maybe we could meet up xxx
Jill1998
Community Champion

It doesn't matter where people talk as long as everyone gets the support they need.Ive talked to people on lots of different threads over the last 4.5 months and got support ( and a few laughs) through all stages of the process.I still really ,really appreciate the people who talked to me and calmed me down when I was first diagnosed ,also there are not many threads where you can kinda of pop in along the journey ,they are all pretty specific re types of treatment etc.I say feel free to use this thread however you want as long as it helps get us all through this.
bazza7676

For me the title of the thread doesn't matter now. It's knowing who's here and if anyone new joins (sorry I talk as though it's me going through this) x
familytree

I don't suppose a lot of us should be here but I feel strongly I owe it to be around to welcome, support anyone having to join us as people were for me back in April x x
bazza7676

Currently at the hospital as Nikki is having an ECG done before her chemo next week. Getting the most out of the NHS right now.
bazza7676

Take care Sarah. All the best for you xx
familytree

Good luck Sarah, onwards and upwards! Lots of love Lorna x
Jill1998
Community Champion

All the best Sarah, hope your recovery continues to go well and you are soon back cuddling your babies.
spongebob52

Morning all bit of a grey day here in Bedford today but feeling fine.

.Day off work today so time to catch up with housework. I 've decided to end my journey on the just diagnosed thread as I am well on the way to recovery and will be concentrating on getting back to normal, well as normal as one can be.It's been 7 months since initial diagnosis and what a long 7 months they've been. I 've shown my boobs off to too many doctors, drank far too much wine, spent too much time in hospitals and too much time anxiously awaiting for results.

However it's been a positive journey as well, finding new friends on this thread and finding out who your real friends are and becoming more reconnected with my family . So all take care ,Good luck with your journies and take one day at a time and thanks for being a shoulder to cry on . Sarah Xxxxxx😉

familytree

I'm the other annoying one with no problems in the rad front...except for the tiredness that is. They don't so much as take your temperature before rads so doubt a cold will stop proceedings. ..subs back! Enjoy your day everyone x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Well, I like to collect side effects Jo ,keeps it interesting !!!I
Jobey68

I'm the same with music Francine and a few I still can't listen too now as they take me back to a place I don't want to be, I think it's just the age old thing of time , it just starts to take up slightly less of your thoughts as you get beyond treatment. I wouldn't think having a cold would stop them starting rads, unless you have a cough as you need to keep still , they don't make you feel ill as such mainly tired and sore but as I'm sure you've seen from us all who have been through it reactions vary! I'm the annoying one who had no problems!! 😜

Fuffs123

Evening everyone. Thinking about distraction techniques, I've found walking whilst listening to music on my iPod helps. Have found myself not able to listen to certain songs I used to like however, makes me feel emotional and a bit sad. Running my own business has been a boon as it takes my mind of things, especially when I have to do the VAT return! Mind you the cons are that you have to keep working to bring the money in even when you're feeling tired or unwell. OH has come out of retirement to help out so I can take some down time during my 5 weeks of rads, start on 14 October. Expect I'll start to feel the effects after a couple of weeks. Bit concerned as I have a sore throat tonight and think I may be coming down with a cold. Typical, wonder if they will start if I do have one next week?
Sissylw1980

When I'm at work I'm fine because I'm trained to do the job. However, I wish I could be more brave in relation to this. I've taken up watching more of sets than normal on Netflix and treated myself to Apple TV for the bedroom tv. I've also got some adult colouring books and puzzler magazines which work okay for a while. And knitting, I've knitted two scarves in the last few weeks! sissy xx
A.Faed

Wow, a police officer Sissy, you are brave! my second daughter used to be a special in Canterbury some years ago, usually doing the night shifts, some of the stuff she'd tell me made my hair stand on end!

I quite like doing the 'adult colouring books' and puzzles for distraction and when my daughter is doing uni work, her boyfriend and I sometimes play a 'search and solve' sort of game on his laptop. They all work quite well for a while but then it's wham...back to cancer...I guess I will get used it, it's just taking so long to really get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Amanda x

Jobey68

Amanda it just gets a bit easier as time goes on, in the early days I couldn't stand to be alone and would plan my days so I never was, as soon as hubby left for work my mind would start wandering and then the palpitations would set in so I had to get myself out of the house as much as possible, even a drive Was better than being at home with my thoughts, I've always loved my own company and thankfully I do again now but it takes time to be able to think about anything other than Cancer, my lovely niece who had lost her baby around the same time spent every minute she could with me bless her and we kept each other occupied, it will become less overwhelming once you have your full diagnosis Xx Jo 

Cs66

Blimey Sarah, you must be brave being a police officer. I am a teacher and so far have not had any time off work. It so a good distraction for me but I am finding it increasingly difficult and stressful keeping up the everything is fine act. It's exhausting. It's on my mind all the time too Amanda. i am intending to keep going until I have to go in to hospital but I am hoping now it will be sooner rather than later. Not sure if I will manage any time back at work after op. I would like to as we are a very close team and I will miss them all. 

Whether at home or at work it overshadows every thought. 

I have decided  I will fill the time at home with box sets and trashy tv! I never get time for that now. 

Claire xx

Sissylw1980

Amanda, I'm exactly like you with the thinking. No matter what I do it's always there, yesterday we went to the cinema and watched a couple of films, but even then it's just there in my mind. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm asleep, but then when I wake it's the first thing I think of. I, like you, gave no treatment plan as yet and am still waiting to find out what happens first. I've been off work the last three weeks which has and hasn't helped. Leading up to the diagnosis I spent most of the days either laying in bed or laying on the sofa watching box sets. Since the diagnosis I have managed to get out and about a bit more and popped in to work today for an hour to visit my managers and team.I'm due back at work on Tuesday night, which I am looking forward to as I think I'll need the distraction whilst awaiting my scan results. I'm a front line police officer, which as you can imagine can be quite a distracting job, however I'm not sure if I want to go back out on the streets or weather I'll stay behind the scenes for a bit. Sissy xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Amanda it will get better once you know what is happening and when and it gradually stops being the only thing you think about .A lot of us have been off work since diagnosis/op so you are not on your own in having nothing else to distract you .
A.Faed

I am interested to hear about people's work experiences, sometimes that pressure and worry must be awful with everything else you have to cope with...but on the other hand, once you get back into it , it must help 'normalise' things a bit.

Being a 'housewife' I know I am incredibly lucky not to have to work and worry about impatient or demanding employers but on the down side, I have not got much to keep my mind off cancer, I still think about it, changing to beds and cleaning the bathrooms, as you probably do on top of your jobs! I know I am very lucky to be able to stay home.

Has anyone got a sure fire way of distracting themselves? I am hoping it might be a little easier once I know what is going on and have a treatment plan in place, it's just dominating everything at the moment! 😕

Amanda x

Jobey68

I know! Not sure I will do it again as didn't even tell hubby I hadn't ...naughty naughty 😳 I just kept forgetting And then ran out of time! No harm done 😊

bazza7676

That was daring of you Jo. I've done a quick quote for the USA and was £107, so much cheaper than a previous quote.
Jobey68

Barry I did a compare the market search for my travel insurance, they ask some questions about your treatment and grade of cancer so it's going to vary but mine only cost around £35 for a week in Menorca, can't remember who it was with now, I didn't bother with it on our second holiday, we've got cover through our bank for everything else and I thought the likely hood of anything cancer related happening in the space of a couple weeks that led me to hospital was pretty slim! Probably a bit fool hardy but I'm home and nothing did happen!! 😜

Jill1998
Community Champion

Insurancewith and Eurotunnel have been recommended to me.First one was set up by a lady who had breast cancer.
bazza7676

With regards to holidays. Where do people get their travel insurance from?
Jill1998
Community Champion

Big week then.Good luck!
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Jill, yes Friday. Eeek. Have my meeting with nurses on the unit this afternoon and big hair chop tomorrow. x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Ange it is a long time to be off work isn't it and also cancer ends up being all you think about .If you will enjoy doing a few bits from home and having a different focus, do it.My brain has rotted!!!
Jill1998
Community Champion

Very wet here Peggy but warm,out with the dog in all weathers anyway.Is your first chemo this week?
MadAnge

Hi SB - Sarah, glad your first day at work has been good and everyone is glad to see you back. You will be looking after and cuddling those babies before you know it. XXXX Jill not long now. I don't think I will be back for a while was hopingvtocworkmon good chemo week but doctors certificate has done a block so I am not insured to go in. Boss said I could do some bits from home- think I might xxxxx
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Are you enjoying your last few days of freedom Jill? Not sure if the same where you are but that lovely Indian summer we were having seems to have left us here in South London. x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you survived your first day Sarah ,think I will feel a bit of a spare part next week too as I will be office bound for first couple of weeks and I am used to being out and about in the community but only doing a few hours each week so hopefully it will go quickly.
spongebob52

Evening all , survived first day at work neonatal unit,, . Started phased return non clinical so felt a bit off a spare part as it was very busy, however got lots of hugs and nobody could tell I had a new boobs.Get to cuddle the babies soon ,
spongebob52

Evening all survived first day a work, had such a good time going back tomorrow. Non clinical  to start with so felt a bit of a spare part when everyone else was really busy.However got lots of hugs, and nobody could tell I had a new boobs in fact after seven months off looking better than my colleagues!. Hopefully get my hands on the gorgeous babies soon.Good luck to all the newbies,  there is an end to treatment, today I really feel back on track😂

Sissylw1980

Claire, glad you managed to ask some questions and get some answers today. Amanda and Claire, I imagine we may end up having treatment at the same time as I'll also be at Canterbury as its nearer than QEQM. My consultant is Mr C who was very good with me last week.

I have my pet/ct scan on Thursday, I've been trying not to think about it as i feel very anxious about it, however the day is getting ever nearer. I'm more worried as from looking on the forum everyone else seems to have mri's and it makes me fear the worst as to why I'm having something different. I asked my breast nurse about it and she said it was standard procedure if one of the lymph nodes came back positive. I'll be glad when this next stage is over!

Btw, went to the cinema today and watched two films, I highly recommend The Martian and Legend! Sissy xx
Jobey68

Amanda it's good that you at least have some answers, they can't be 100% certain until you have full pathology back after op but they will have a goodish idea at this point, who wants to be ordinary anyway hey!? 😉 They will certainly have a plan to sort you out , the one thing I have learned above all else throughout all this is that they are so calm and reassuring and it really does help put you at ease, no matter what I was flapping about they would have an answer, it's just what you need to hear! Sounds like you and Claire may be able to link up which will be great Xx 

Cs66

I'm with mr W who is super nice too. My treatment will be at K and C too. We may bump into each other! Won't know for sure whether chemo until they get it out but definitely radiotherapy. Canterbury easier for me too. Surgery date the next hurdle xxxxxx