cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

In work tomorrow am and Wed am Amanda,not really looking forward to it, head still not in the "real world".I have to say it can be surprising how some people(friends and family ) deal with you being diagnosed ,I think some are frightened by it being so close to home and that it could easily be them ,others and scared to think about it/ talk about it as it means acknowledging you have an illness that can threaten your life.Can be quite hurtful at times.
bazza7676

No real answers. Probably haemerroids, having a blood test and if bleeding happens again then go back which it probably will!
Cs66

Message didn't come through Tina, but thanks anyway! That has happened to me too when I have typed something. Hope you are still doing ok. Xx
Cs66

49. Got to be better than the latter part of 48! 

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Argh! I just typed a really long private message and it disappeared!!!! Claire let me know if it came through to you?! ☺️
This time Friday that big step will be done and you'll be looking forward to your birthday Hun!! Xxx big hugs 😚
delly

That's great Claire - so what number will it be ?? Have a fandabidozee day xx

Cs66

Hoping to be out on Friday. It's my birthday on Saturday so want to be at home for that! My birthday present to myself is hopefully to be cancer free! Thanks for positive messages and the support.
Thinking of all of you and what you have been / or will be going through. Claire xxxxxx
delly

Just a quickie to say - Am thinking of you Bazza and Mrs. Bazza. Hope your GP appt tonight proves to be nothing to worry about.

Thinking about the rest of you too havling to deal with diag, treatments and recovery.

All good wishes and healing thoughts to you

Lotsa love, Delly xxx

A.Faed

Good luck with with everything this week Claire, how long are they thinking you will have to stay in? Hopefully you'll be home for the weekend.

Good luck with the appointment Barry, not the most fun conversation to have with you GP but it's pretty routine for them. If they live a sample collecting kit, ask what the spatula is for! 😉

Yes, the awkwardness of the family and friend interactions....I have been wonderfully supposed by my husband, daughters, daughters boyfriend and even his family but I have found my brother and his partner and my sister have been very distant and my sister has shown a great lack of compassion. (Although my Mother's sudden death has probably has something to do with that.) It's all so strange and yet another bit unpleasantness we have to steel ourselves to! 

Were you back at work today, Jill? How much will you have to do this week.

Thinking of of everyone going through treatment and recovering from it.

Amanda x

Tandy 4
Community Champion

👍🏼 brilliant uplifting update!...... Thank you xxx 

PeggyCat
Community Champion

What a lovely and inspiring update Smiley Very Happy Gives hope to all. Enjoy every minute of it. xx

spongebob52

Hi all couldn't resist just an update to give you all a positive boost. 12 weeks post mx and reconstructive surgery ,first full shift back at work got to cuddle twins admitted new baby, went for a swim afterwords know enjoying life glass of wine and sleep,Good luck to you all. 

Jobey68

Yes Jen I'm several months on now but remember the early days of diagnosis when it's all you can think and talk about, Mike and I talk about it still but it's not a topic of conversation with friends and family any more unless I want it to be, you dont have to be brave all the time and how I wish I'd had my mum here, she died of breast cancer 12 years ago so it made things even harder 😔

You will start to feel stronger once you have all results and there is no more speculation about what's going to happen, once I had a definite plan of action I started to climb my way back up, things do get better love Xxx

Tandy 4
Community Champion

Will be thinking of you Claire Wednesday and especially Thursday!.......  Be strong for as long as you're able Hun, but please don't push yourself too far or others away. 

Know exactly where everyone is coming from with friends family having an opinion, diagnosis and treatments. And also, I've many that have steered clear and not been in touch since my surgery I assume because they don't know what to say!?.....  But I've also wonderful family and good friends who are keeping me grounded and talk as much or as little as I'm up to. Xxx 

will pm you Claire xxx big big hugs babe xxx Tina 

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Wow Barry, I've never heard of a GP open until 8.30 in the evening before! Good luck. Hope Nikki is doing okay too.

Claire, the week ahead must seem overwhelming and I'm sure you will question your ability to cope but you will. This time eight weeks ago I was facing a MX and was so afraid but it's been nowhere as bad as I expected and certainly less physically painfull than I anticipated. Sending you a virtual hug. xxxx

Babypink

Cs66 I wish you well and good luck
Cs66

Hope all goes well Barry finges crossed.

i had pre op appt with breast nurse to day and bloods etc. it's off to nuclear medicine for something on Wednesday, wire being placed on Thursday morning for left side lumpectomy them admission in the afternoon for mx, lumpectomy and sentinel nodes on both sides. Doesnt seem real! Can't let my mask slip or I know I will completely fall apart. 

they are also going to do the genetic testing on me as there is family history and it seems more than a coincidence that I have it in 3 places. Not holding out much hope for avoiding chemo now!

i also read the article about Anastasia. I actually found it Inspiring and I have taken a picture of her after double mx ( I will prob have My  other removed later on) on my phone to remind me that it is possible to get through this and still be confident and look good!! Going to be one hell of a journey though! 

bazza7676

8.30 tonight Jen. I don't really want to go lol x
JenJen

Jobey I guess its still early days for me and OH its been 3 and a bit weeks since I told him I had found the lump and only just over a week since I got my diagnosis I am praying for the day its not the main topic of our conversation. You are right they would have an opinion if it was a broken leg or anything else such as a baby and im finding it difficult because I have always been one of those people that say to people well its your baby or your illness you deal with it your way and give me a shout if you need me. so I feel cramped by people and their opinions I just need to take it as they love me and thats their way of showing it.

I have had a chat with my Mum today decided that I should just take off the brave face for an hour or so and speak to her so I feel a bit better I probably wont settle till I get my CT scan results next week sometime

Barry did you get your docs appointment sorted ?

Love to all , xx
bazza7676

I would use the words **bleep**ting it lol

She's a lot better than she was. Of course there's symptoms but not as bad as the first day or so. It's fair to say she won't be running around the park today though 😉 x
Jobey68

Barry im glad to hear you are making an appointment, trust me we all know how scary it is!! How is Nikki feeling now?
Jobey68

Jen i found it was like having a new baby, everyone has an opinion! We rarely talk about it now unless i bring it up which is good! You need to let it out though to somone who is happy to just listen , i have amazing friend who let me off load and she was just what i needed! Hope you feel better soon Xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Sounds like a good idea Jen.
JenJen

Thanks Jill x I think I may just email them all say hi and let them know whats going on , everyone is being really good at texting me on appointment days so I at least know I am not alone in all this
Jill1998
Community Champion

Jen, most newly diagnosed people have similar problems even when friends are not medics.You just don't want to go talk about cancer every time someone rings/texts you even if they mean well and just showing interest.Most end up screening their calls .I only told a few people but still found that difficult enough when all my texts/calls were talking about cancer.People can't really win though cos sometimes I would be " why hasn't so and so text to ask me how something went".Other peoples responses are sometimes harder to deal with than your own feelings.
bazza7676

I need to call again at 2pm to make an appointment this evening, quite scary!

Oh morning and I hope everyone is doing as well as can be x

Jill1998
Community Champion

Babypink, yes Anaststsia is managing to have pop career too so hope for us all!!
JenJen

Bazza keep trying x love to you and Nikki hope she is feeling OK today 

Morning all, hope everyone is doing OK today love to all 

had a bad night lots of bad dreams that kept waking me up,  im doing pretty well during the day and keeping busy and staying postive for the sake of my family and partner  but obviously bottling up how I am feeling is starting to get to me so im taking up the offer of one of my friends who I know can take me blubbering and giving them a call to meet for a cuppa. The issue I am having is all my friends are medics so every one who calls wants to know the ins & outs of everything and has their opinion on treament options and how I should be looking after myself  which is then stressing me out so im avoiding them to avoid having to keep going over and over it which means ive basically become a hermit with no friends since diagnosis 😞  

Jill1998
Community Champion

Glad you are going to get your self checked out Barry,don't hang up now!!
bazza7676

Nightmare trying to get through to my doctors
Babypink

I've just read an article in the DM about Anastacia who was ten years ago diagnosed with breast cancer also suffers from Crohns and then had secondary cancer and mastectomy. What an inspiration there is someone out there with Crohns and had breast cancer like me
bazza7676

Thanks Amanda. It's bright red so fingers crossed it's just piles. We did 'joke" we'd have the same hair or lack of lol x
Babypink

Thank you Lorna

Barry if it wasn't for my boyfriend taking me to and from the hospital I would be in a mess. Get checked out
Val235

for barry

get it checked a sap. Without my dear husbands support and accompanying me to all hospital visits I would not cope. Think about Nikki and go to your GP as soon as you can get appointment. You owe it to both of you.

hugs Val

familytree

Shocking cause of events pink! Being well and truly tested...complete nightmare bless you x x Lorna
Babypink

Thank you Amanda I'm exhausted from it all
A.Faed

You know what you must do Barry, It probably is just piles or something, but just for peace of mind, otherwise you're going to scare yourself silly! There is a symptom checker here, if you haven't already found it;-   http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/rectal-bleeding/Pages/Introduction.aspx

You are really having a bad tine of it babypink, I hope all goes well with the oncologist and things look up for you from now on!

Amanda x

Babypink

Barry I now see where you're coming from. Do get it checked out to be safe. I had my mastectomy 28 Sept and back in on 1 Oct with C Diff
Babypink

I had bad tummy ache and my belly swelled to size of a football and I had terrible diahorrea and vomiting for about two weeks. Ended up in A and E in 2013 New Year Day. Few days later I was diagnosed was put on medication and three months later surfers a rare reaction causing nerve damage. I had severe vertigo and could not control my eyes. Three months after that I went for a colonoscopy routine and I came home with tummy ache. Five hours later was back in A and E with ruptured Colon and went to theatre and ended up a Stoma. In 2015 I've now been diagnosed with breast cancer. It's tough
Fuffs123

Barry, please go and get checked out. It's probably nothing but Nikki wouldn't want you to be worrying to death over it. Speaking as someone who spent 10 days in hospital with a bowel problem, I can tell you that the investigations they might do are simple and it's worth it for peace of mind. X
bazza7676

Babypink, how was your crohns diagnosed?
Babypink

I had my hospital appointment with the consultant on Tuesday and was told I had grade to cancer with some notes affected I was told that the procedure went well and have to return this Thursday to the oncology consultant to discuss my future treatment I still feel that I am having an out of body experience but I am trying my best to be positive and it is a struggle The oncologist takes into account apparently my age health height weight lifestyle and produces statistics as to the best treatment possible for me I am hoping that the treatment I will receive will be radiotherapy and tablets which I was told that were suitable for my type of cancer I am feeling tired and drained and aged before my years for someone who was so active and fit up to 2013 I have become shall of myself having also been diagnosed with Crohn's disease
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Barry, if you mean at the moment, post-chemo, then I've had a few ibuprofen these last few days for a mild headache but have not felt the need to take anything else. I've not been advised not to take anything in particular if that helps. x

bazza7676

I think I would normally dismiss it. Treatment isn't easy to go through 😞 Ruth do you take pain meds? x
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Barry, do go to the docs. Most likely they will put your mind at rest but you don't need to have these anxieties hovering over you at this time. Look after yourself, you are important.

Hope Nikki is starting to feel better.

xx

Jobey68

Barry just get yourself to the Dr tomorrow, not because im thinking it will be anything sinister but you will worry yourself sick otherwise! Normally im sure you would dismiss it but with Nikki going through this now its going to make you panic!
JenJen

Barry you need to go to the doctors , it could just be piles or something but unless you get it checked out you dont know odds are its nothing sinister xx my uncle had a tiny tear nearby and thought he was passing blood it came from that not inside but he had to get checked out to find that out , please go to the GP . Love to you and Nikki.

Love to all
Jen x
bazza7676

As I've told Nikki you've all been brave, especially if you found the lump yourselves. I've had some more blood in my stool, not sure how we'd handle the both of us go through chemo 😞
Fuffs123

Claire, all I can say is that 9 months ago and 3 ops later, I never thought I 'd get through it all but somehow you do. I haft to miss family weddings, my daughter's birthday celebrations and a special holiday we planned for my husband's retirement. However, now I'm nearing the end of my treatment and will be getting back to normality. It is the hardest time I've ever had in my 63 years of life and I had some very bad days, cried a lot and had some spectacular meltdowns but got through it. Your family will love and support you throughout and you will get through it too. Take heart, we are all thinking of you ❤️ Francine
Tandy 4
Community Champion

Oh Claire! I've pm you Hun. It's so bloody awful! The next week will be hell to pass but time will pass..... A week post op for me and waiting again for apt for results. You are two weeks behind me babe and I'm with you every step of the way! You'll do it! This time next week a big step will be fine mate xxx ending you lots of hugs and keep in touch xxxxx Tina

Also Claire, get on the 'going through surgery' posts...... Lots if support xxxxx