cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Anniewol

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Hi Tandy

I had a drain in when I had my mastectomy  in May, like you was concerned what it would be like, before the operation I went and saw the BCN and asked her to show me one and explain all about it.  That helped.  When I woke up from the operation, so glad the alien had gone that I didn't really think too much about the drain.  When I went to get out of bed a nurse came running over and said hold on you need a bag to put the drain in - came back with one of those hospital bags that clothing goes in - I immediately called it my Gucci bag and it went everywhere with me for the 7 days I had the drain in.  I didn't want to stay in hospital a moment longer than I had to - risk of those germs etc.  SO was home after one night stay, the drain was not a problem - wasn't sore. The District Nurse came in each day and checked it. Didn't look forward to having it taken out as I had heard it could be painful - I took a couple of painkillers about an hour before she was due and honestly didn't feel a thing when it came out.

I am sure you will cope with it fine, take care, hope all works out well for you

Anniewol xx

Tandy 4

Hi Amanda, I'm out at the moment but I'll check when in later if that's ok? I asked pharmacist though, it's saliva inducing if that helps if you need to know before xxx Tina 

A.Faed

Hi Tina,

What was the name of those pastilles from Boots you got for the post-op sore throat?

Thanks!

Amanda x

julie_m

Thinking of you all that are having op's, good luck everyone 😉 xxx
Tandy 4

I took a hand towel as I thought I'd be in two nights..... But the auxiliary gave me two towels to use anyway. 

Ive been told I'll have a drain after next op! Argh!!!! She said if I'm happy to go home with it and have local surgery deal with it and remove I should only need to be in overnight. Or I'd be in 5 nights if worried about drain. For those of you who have/had drains....... How big are they? How easy are they to cope with? How long did you have them in? Something else turning my stomach!!! 😝 I was last on list last time! Nil by mouth after 10pm only water till 10am! And I didn't go down till 3:15! Hopefully next time I'll be early as the waiting drives you mad. Also hoping not to be in as long? Nit touching nipple this time, think doing it by herself as no mention of Mr D reconstruction consultant. 

I got some good pastilles from boots pharmacy to create saliva following op..... Throat was horrendous and told not to suck any throat sweets just boiled ones or these passtilles. Oh and I must remember plain cotton knickers!..... I only had one pair (others had lacy bits on!) Nurse said I could keep them on during procedure as long as they were cotton! Funny eh!? Worried about keeping pants on forgetting all that they were going to do to me!! At stage now where it doesn't bother you who sees my boobs!?! 😜😂 I've taken photos of mine through every stage from noticing the change through to now, 4 wk post op! Xxx Big hugs girls! Oh and Dave is it tomorrow yours?? Thinking of you all xxx 

A.Faed

Hi Sissy....ah yes, pre op shave, that will be tomorrow for me!  

When I had my WLE at WH, after 'checking in' at 7.30am (I had noticed my name at the top of the list on a dry wipe board)  I was shown (with my hubby) to a curtained cubicle in a room full of similar cubicles. I was asked to change into the gown they gave me, then put on my dressing gown and slippers. The nurse also measured my calf and brought me the lovely green compression socks, which I put on. Then the anesthetist came and spoke to me, and asked some questions. Then Mr C came along and did much the same and my breast was marked, I can't remember who did that, though!

After that, we were shown to a sort of lounge area to wait, as I was first on the list, I was soon taken into the anesthetist room, at about 8.45. As it is a mx and node clearance, this time; maybe the wait will be longer in the lounge...keep the iPad to hand!

Amanda x

A.Faed

Tina, I think fear is really normal, you do learn to live with it though. You can't help worrying about every ache and pain though, things that you would have hardly notice before lead to thoughts of 'spread'...maybe that is your natural alertness going into overdriven!

I can't remember when I last had a smear, so it must be due soon! I will go along but then the waiting for the results will freak me out! You go along to these things and the mammograms but you somehow don't expect them to find anything! 

I don't cry more than once a week now, maybe less. I went to my GP and got some antidepressants but I haven't started taking them yet, almost like having them in the cupboard is enough to to help! 

Love ver and hugs to everyone.

Amanda x

Sissylw1980

I've got to be there at 7.30am. I'm allowed to eat up u til 2.30am and am allowed water until 6.30am.......I'm not an early morning person, nor am I very good when hungry! I hate the thought of just sitting around and waiting. In my head id imagined that I would get to the hospital and would 'check in' so to speak and would be given a bed where id then wait to be wheeled to theatre.......however I've since found out that's not the case. I just keep saying to myself that this time tomorrow it'll all be over. I've just given my hair a good wash and shaved my underarms and legs in preparation for the week ahead xx
Cs66

Hi Sissy, I didn't take a towel. Didn't think of it. I was in less than 24 hours as op was late afternoon and I left before lunch the next day. The hospital contacted the district nurses and then they just turned up,at my house. They were in everyday until the drain was out (5 days) and then came back a couple of days after that to take off dressings. They checked wound and changed dressings if needed too. What time do you have to be there tomorrow? Xxx

familytree

God I feel for you all! It's a ruddy nightmare but I'm amazed how we get through it. Of course we don't have much choice in the matter but still, we have been well and truly tested. I'm out the other end though not been through half what some of you have or are doing but want to assure you of the light at the end of all this. It's a cliche I know but true..lots of love to you all Lorna x x x
A.Faed

I'm not going to take a towel Sissy, only in one night and I've been told I can't shower with the dressings on, just to use baby wipes or similar for freshening up. I don't think after the surgery you are going to feel like having a major wash really. BCN L said the hospital would arrange for the district nurse to call, maybe you then arrange the next day's visit when they're with you?

Re tops, I don't really have many but if needed, I'll wear something baggy, also, don't for get cardis or zip hoodies could do the job. I'll go in wearing a bra but don't recon I'll come out with one on, just a vest top and shirt probably. Not sure how you wear a bra if you have drains in? 

Amanda x

Sissylw1980

Do I need to take a towel? Xx
Jobey68

Claire it's natural to try and prepare yourself for the worst case scenario , try not to over think though as you just can't second guess what's going to happen and will drive yourself scatty trying to, I know I did! you certainly are due some good luck and will be keeping everything crossed that's just what you get on Monday 😊 Xx Jo 

Sissylw1980

Claire, what ward did you go on afterwards? Also, district nurses, I knew I'd have one to check my drain and dressings, but didn't realise it would be everyday, do they ring before hand and arrange all of this? I don't have too many front fastening tops, so may have to wear pjs all the time! I'm glad you're feeling not too bad after a couple of weeks, it gives me some hope. Sissy xx
Jobey68

Tina it's good to hear you are feeling a bit brighter, it takes time love and you won't adjust over night but it will happen, I know just what you mean about your husband, I've been with mine for over 28 years and can't bare to be without him at the best of times , he is totally my rock and I desperately needed him with me throughout all this, he's self employed so was able to re arrange work and come home at the drop of a hat thanks to some lovely understanding customers, things just seemed so much easier when he was around even if he wasn't doing anything in particular! He just dealt with stuff so I didn't have to think, he kept everything ticking over and I love him all the more for it! You will deal with this together one step at a time, don't think beyond the next stage, little bits at a time Is  how I think most of us have coped, you will do it because you have no choice and you will amaze yourself with just how strong you really are Xx Jo 

Tandy 4

Hi guys, not so tearful today...... Well until I went into CLAN for a chat! The poor woman cried with me! I've a bit of sore throat but that's probably due to all the crying and sobbing I've done since weekend!? 

Had a pamper at the hairdressers....... Got rid of my wisdom highlights and had a lovely head massage too! My hairdresser is great, she does work at the local Macmillan centre too and is ready with advice for hair thickening techniques and styles if and when I need it. I had my flu jab, again, nurse lovely..... Funny how people react eh? She pointed me in direction of lots of leaflets for support. I mentioned I had letter for flipping smear test and she said not to worry but if I wanted to get it done to ring up Monday as they often get cancellations...... Should I?!..... Could there be anymore crap thrown at me!? 🤔

Still no call from the hospital about a date, but on the whole feeling bit calmer, especially after talking to HR about work. Get next step done! Surgery. Then results, Christmas and hopefully work for a week or two before chemo! I won't lie, I'm still scared witless! But I have to do this! We have no choice do we? I trust my consultant and have heard so many good things about how good she is. 

Hubby waiting patiently for hospital date before he can sort things with his work. Needing to sort with his boss the possibility of a sebatical when I'm getting chemo rather than travelling few times a week from Edinburgh. He'll probably go back Sunday to sort things then come home day before my op date....... There'll be tears again then! Some say I should be used to him going away after all these years a military wife! But I'm not, he's my soul mate, my rock. When he's away, whether a weekend, week, month, 3 or 6 months I'm still the same! Even after being together 31 years, you never get used to it....... You just have to get on with it. Ah well, have to put the brave face on when it happens Xxxx thanks everyone for your continuing support xxx 

Nikki3588

Hi Jill, I'm good thanks. How are you doing? Chemo session 2 was planned for tomorrow but the hospital called today to say that they're putting in a picc line tomorrow and chemo has been moved to Friday. A little miffed as I had been gearing myself up mentally for chemo tomorrow and now I have an extra day to worry about it.

Glad to hear you're on the mend Claire - fingers crossed for good news on Monday.

Hope you're feeling better Tina
xx
Cs66

Results on Monday Jo. I am preparing myself for the worst which would be lymph node involvement, more surgery and chemo.
I hope you have had a better day Tina..
Xxxxxxx
Jobey68

Hi Tina, hope your ok xx

Jobey68

Hi Claire, good to hear your recovering ok, do you know when you get your results? xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

How are you feeling Tina?
Tandy 4

Good luck girls, will be thinking of you both!!! Francine hope you're now home and feeling ok xxx Tina

Cs66

I will be thinking of you both Amanda and sissy.

its two weeks tomorrow since I had mine and I do feel fine. A bit tired but otherwise ok. Still slightly sore but able to function normally. I still feel relieved it is over but now results looming so getting anxious about that. I found front fastening tops v useful as the district nurse was in every day to check my drain and dressings and it was difficult to get things over my head. I am in normal clothes now though and my softie looks v natural! 

The WH hospital was great ndo all the staff were so kind. 

I hope all goes well for you both. Love and virtual hugs

claire xxxxxxx

p.s I cleaned, washed and ironed everything before I went in.  Two sons and a husband do not have the same standards of cleanliness as me!! Xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Good luck tomorrow Sissy,like Jo says I'm sure you will feel a great sense of relief when you come too,I know I did .Nikki hope you are feeling ok and surviving chemo as well as you can .
Nikki3588

Good luck Amanda and Sissy, will be thinking of you both over the next couple of days.

Francine - hope you're feeling better and have made it home.

Hugs xx
Jobey68

Amanda and Sissy will be thinking of you both over the next few days, you will be fine and come out the other side with a sense of relief and feeling a little bit chuffed with yourselves! As crap as it all is you can do it girls 😘

A.Faed

Oh how funny, I haven't packed yet either and am not going to do it until tomorrow evening! I have also been very busy cleaning, washing and topping up things in preparation for being laid up! I had saved up points on our credit card and got an iPad mini, too. I haven't got a film or any music on it yet though, maybe a job for tomorrow! 

Thanks for that, I doubt if you will be felling too much like doing anything much, so I expect we will be comparing notes after the weekend!

I was wondering how you were doing, too Francine?

Amanda x

Sissylw1980

Hello all, thanks for all your suggestions of what to pack!

Havent packed yet Amanda........I feel I'm trying to put it off as it makes it more real! Have spent the day cleaning the house in preparation of me being out of action for a few weeks. OH will be in charge of it for a few weeks, I love him to bits and he does try hard, however his idea of cleaning isn't always up to my standards, lol. I received a critical illness payout yesterday so treated myself to a new iPad which I downloaded a couple of films on to last night and am going to make up a playlist of songs on my phone later. think tonight I'm going to get a Chinese for dinner.

Francine, are you back at home now? Amanda, have you packed yet for your operation? In case I'm not feeling great tomorrow after the op, will be thinking of you on Friday. Sissy xx
A.Faed

Good luck for tomorrow, Sissy...hope you are all packed and ready!

Amanda x

A.Faed

Hope you made it home, Francine, nothing like your own bed. No doubt you're rattling with antibiotics!

Thanks for the suggestion of an MP3 player Anne, I might get my daughter to put some of my Moody Blues on it, and a some Dido, too!

Amanda x

Sarahd-1

I hope you are feeling better very soon Francine. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fuffs123

Hopefully on the way home today, horrendous night with poor demented lady screaming all the time. They may have got to the bottom of my wildly fluctuating blood pressure though, which caused me to black out several times. Some glam elastic socks on the way to wear during the day. Should be back on rads next week, only missed 4 sessions as Today was a rest day anyway. I've noticed that since stopping for a few days the boob has started to itch a lot so I can we'll see why ladies get problems after the rads finish. Thank you all for your good wishes, I will battle on but have decided that we're staying put for Xmas, just too much for me to be flying/driving anywhere. Xx
MadAnge

Oh Francine - big hugs xxx I found I was the youngest by far too. It's lonely xxxx
Jobey68

Oh Francine not again, 🙁You couldn't make it up could you! Hope your on the mend and home soon, lovely to hear from you anyway 😊 Xxx 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Oh no Francine poor you,well at least you have a break from daily zapping .Get looked after as much as you can.
JenJen

Love and hugs to you francine hope you are home soon xx
julie_m

Sorry to hear your poorly and in hospital Francine, hope it's not too long before you're feeling lots better and back home 😉 Big hugs 😉 xxx And apparently Gavin is Sharons dad...or is he lying.... I can't decide if I care or not, lol dragging that story out aren't they should just of had him arrested and finished it !!! 😉 x
bazza7676

Oh no Francine 😞 you poor woman. I hope you feel better asap and no further troubles like this x
A.Faed

Doesn't sound fun at all...hope they will let you go home soon or into a more suitable ward, at least....oh for a private room! 

I dont watch Eastenders, but at least you can....glad you have the Wifi! Hope you get a good nights sleep.

Amanda x

Fuffs123

I'm very fed up and I'm in a ward where I must be the youngest by 20 yrs! The hospital is completely rammed so I'm in the so called short stay assessment ward. Thank goodness for Wifi here and my iPhone! Just watched Eastenders, is Gavin really Sharon's father???
A.Faed

Oh dear Francine, you poor thing! I hope you are feeling a bit better now and the antibiotics are starting to kick in! You are going to have to take it really easy and load up with hand sanitiser! 

Big rig hugs for you,

Amanda x

Fuffs123

Forgot to say, I've only had to lower my top once (not really off) for an ECG!
Fuffs123

Guess where I am again ladies, yes in hospital, my do favourite place, not. Went down very suddenly on Friday with terrible sore throat and became very poorly during the night, high temp, blinding headache on call doc referred to me hospital where I've been since on heavy antibiotics also passed out twice and bruised all my ankle! No rads for me this week, some people will do anything to avoid it! They think my immune system was so low the infection just got out of control. I knew I shouldn't have unpacked my hospital bag, bad karma! Hadn't forgotten you all xx
JenJen

The chocolate sprouts are officially out at M&S now..
Jill1998
Community Champion

Cheerful music and don't forget your sprouts...
Annie25

MP3 player
Annie25

MP3 playet
Annie25

Also - re hospital stays - worth getting a good upbeat playlist of music on pm3 player / iphone - plus a headset. Good luck!
A.Faed

I think my dentist would pass out if I took my top off! Mind you I won't have so much to show him by the next appointment!

My op is on Friday Jill, the day after Sissy, so our paths might cross, last time I was first on the list for that day's surgery but I wonder if they do the Mx's after the wle's etc. I will have a look on the board when I arrive.

Thanks for the list Jen, might take some nice black grapes in to nibble on as well, and I know my daughter will put in some malted milk biscuits, too! 

Amanda x

JenJen

all the way up my hand in massive letters 😉