cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Highlighted

Re: Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand

Well done Niki msy your se be little ones and party on 🙂

So looking forward to my last session bring it on. Fingers crossed for no more chemo ever!!!! Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Wooohoooo Barry and Nikki! 😍😍

Highlighted
Community Champion

That's great news Barry, sent Nikki congrats and hugs...what a relief! Hope you're planned a little celebration for when Nikki is up for it! 🍾 🎉

Amanda x

Highlighted

Thanks Ladies. The finish line seemed such a long way off when the chemo began, and she's had to endure horrible sickness with some aches and pains too but the last session soon creeps up x
Highlighted

Well done Nikki and Barry!!! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Five more Barry so a wAy to go yet. But after the next one I will be a third of the way through! Xxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Aw Barry must be such a relief! Hope Niki had minimal SE. Xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done Nikki!!!
Highlighted

Brilliant Barry! Big celebrations x
Highlighted

How many more for you Claire? x
Highlighted

Yeah she has 3 weeks of rads Tina. But at least chemo is over, hopefully SEs aren't too bad for this last one.
Yay! Half way is a milestone 🙂 I remember when Nikki was half way xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

That's fantastic Nikki and Barry. You made it! Xxxxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hoooooooraaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!! 👍🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼☺️ Well done Niki!! Sending you lots of love both! Xxx 

Does Niki face radiotherapy Bazza? I've not had any call from BCN so assuming it's all going ahead for mine tomorrow...... Half way...... 😉 Xxxx

Highlighted

6th and final chemo session completed!!!

Love to you all x
Highlighted

Hi Kim, well, glad you saw the funny side, Had my unexpected scan today, So hopefully my journey can begin, the results are in on Friday, She said any health issues,as she is preparing me for radioactive dye, um I'm thinking given the last 2 months my liver may be white!!! No I said none that I no of before BC. I really don't have a drink problem ladies, but I have to say I love a glass or bottle of wine, yes I know its bad for me, NO my 4 children have never seen me drunk, I've never had a hangover or not gone to work who wants to be drunk? Can't think of anything worse, yes I'm sure others may say its contributed to my cancer, but I'm a fairly good eating veggie, cos I don't like meat, don't smoke and don't like sweets and chocolate,have skimmed milk and don't eat crisps, good job cos I'd be like a russian doll!!! I hate the gym but have a reasonable BMI. Walk my two dogs that I was stupid enough to let my two youngest daughters talk me into, before they left home without em. Didn't help Linda McCartney did it? Bless her.Talking of wine, I brought my eldest daughter a glass for christmas, i brought her a whole lot more too, anyway It saz "HANDING EM OVER TO YOU", cos thats what I always text her as I'm boarding a flight for my long suffering husbands and I holiday, as I land home as the plane is on the runway I text her, " Landed I will have them back", Thats because I, like millions of us, love my family, they are my life ,My eldest daughter who unfortunately has my wicked sense of humor, is my stand in for family dramas when we go on holiday, my family call me international rescue, cos that what I do, problems ?? ring mum, wanna borro money (they pay me back) ring mum, grandkids are ill, ring mum, need to go to A & E ring mum. Want to go shopping? my son dosn't want to learn to drive he is 35!!!! ring mum So anywaz sorry to ramble, I get her this wine glass that holds a BOTTLE of wine, she didn't used to drink, but now she does. She saz its my fault!!!!! Then I get diagnosed with poxy BC, I've brought the glass had it engraved, I said to my husband after we all know I'm now on the BC merry go round, " I cant give her that", why not he saz, cos she will think I'm bloody dying and leaving my family to her,(I've only been married to this poor man for 5 years) he tells me not to be so bloody stupid. So if the glass holds a bottle I'm thinking I will have to get her a magnum, think its 2 and 1/2 bottles in one, She likes Prosecco,I could have saved a lot of money cos she said its her favorite christmas pressie. She ran out of wine the other night an her partner said, "Youve got that magnum your mum brought you", well me and her are on the tube like bloody sardines whilst she is telling me this , we off to my scan, that Ive been given 3 hours notice to get to in London, we live 60 miles away TODAY. Don't you dare open that she tells me she says to him, me and mum are going to get rat*rsed on it when she is given the all clear, so I'm holding on like grim death on a packed tube thinking it holds 2 and 1/2 bottles, so how we gonna do that??????  Your right though when this bloody cancer is sorted bloody Blossomhill is gonna go out of buisness.!!! Anyway HOW ARE YOU??? Hope your ready to face another day and don't forget, "whack the next divvy twit who has NEVER had cancer and tells you to STAY POSITIVE", TWAT.!!!! Time for me to sign off, My results are in Friday, good or bad, my breast consultant has tried to talk me out of DMX for two months, even today she phoned me as I was on train for scan, she said if you wern't insisting on such radical surgery we wouldnt insist on CT scan, I told her I didnt want to know either but I was strapped in for the roller coaster ride, No i didnt want the bloody CT scan, but its part of the process, whats the point in burying my head, she sand, she said this is sooooo small, I said really,??? sooo small you think it might have spread so ur making me have a CT scan to check, well its in the lap of the gods and the fates. 

Sending a hug Kim55pink

Love Bloss (well i've run out so its NAPOLEON tonight) XXX

Highlighted

Julia and anyone else not getting any sleep I seriously advise you to get help with it. You cannot suffer in silence and need your rest more than anything else to get through all of this. Of course it's terrifying to be told you have it. Takes weeks/ months to digest but you do it. It's the only way to cope. Please don't neglect your sleep. Take whatever is in offer to help. I asked for anti depressants as soon as I was diagnosed as a back up. Thank God I did, it's stopped the morbid thoughts every waking minute. There is so many survivors of bc now. Believe you will be one of them. Love Lorna x x x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Keeping everything crossed for you Ange.Yes creme eggs,what have they done to them ,gone in one mouthful ,it's just not on!!!!Hope yours goes ok on Friday ,Tina,keep ticking them off the list .
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi guys!..... I'm with you Jill, wine bottles, crisps packs, bars of dairy milk all getting smaller! Don't get me started on the size and quality of creme eggs! 😜

Ange, fingers crossed you get the go ahead for your chemo. Mine is Friday and though dreading it all again I want it over with! 

Yay!!! Delly is back! She's floating around on other threads, so hopefully pop on here soon 😚

Hugs to all, feeling lazy but must shift my arse into doing something today. I'll go for my little walk, though very windy out there I'll get blown round the block!? Xxx Tina 

Highlighted

Hi Jill, yepi am out 🙂 have my bloods and oncologist appointment this afternoon so will find out if we can go ahead. Keep your fingers crossed xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

R u back from hospital Ange,are you able to have final chemo on the first ?
Highlighted
Community Champion

I def think wine bottles are shrinking, like tea bags and packets of crisps!!!!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Blossom, crying with laughter at your comment at the end of a post on another thread - 'you don't get many glasses in a bottle these days...' I can just picture you there looking really shocked at your empty wine bottle!! Was going to post this in that thread, but wasn't appropriate.
With that picture in my mind, I'm getting up, showered ready to face the day 😂
Sending you loads of love xxx
Highlighted

Hi Izzy

Im58 and also been diagnosed with grade 2 lobular cancer, I'm still going through the circus of options I want a DMX, I,m waiting for a CT scan date as before op they need to check for the reconstruction and also that it hasn't spread, its a big op, not that they are expecting it to have done, but until the results are in as they say. Good luck with your journey and operation

BlossomHill (er not as good as you detoxing but maybe I will if I ever get my date)

Highlighted

Thank you Izzy- I'm sorry you are going through it too. I think the moment they tell you will always be with us. I went alone to my biopsy results as the consultant and I genuinely thought it was eczema. I thought id be in and out in 10 mins with some cream and be on my way. When they asked me to wait in a room with nothing but a table, bed and rather large box of tissues i knew what was coming - especially when 3 of them walked in the room.

Like you I kept my composure. I have retained my composure - it's just night time I think about things.

I have a wealth of support, a loving partner , family and friends. Infact I owe my life to my partner. If she hadn't kept on and on at me to go to the Doctor about an itchy nipple- I'd never have known about the cancer beneath. It's nice to also talk and read all the comments on this forum to know there are people like me.

I have one question though- I find it crazy that cervical screening takes place from the age of 25- yet mammograms only are for people 50+ unless you spot a lump or change in your boob when your younger. I was lucky due to Paget's - I feel for all those women who aren't so lucky at catching it early..

Thank you - good luck with your operation- I send you positive and strong vibes x all the best xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello all the ladies new to the thread ,you will get lots of advice and support here,think I would have bonkers without it.Just feeling like you are not the only one going through this helps such a lot.Cancer is a lonely illness.Julia make sure you are honest with G.P today about how bad you are feeling,don't leave til you feel you have got some additional support in the pipeline whether that be medication or other help.To everyone else it really does get less scary and overwhelming in time ,and you find ways to live your life alongside side it.When I was first diagnosed I read a thread where people going through treatment where talking about going to concerts and booking holidays ,I couldn't believe that they were doing such normal things amongst all of this ,but you do.And eventually it doesn't dominate every waking minute .Jill.
Highlighted

Morning ladies, how are you all feeling? Sorry to hear about the newbies who have recently been diagnosed. It brings back memories from a few months ago when my wife Nikki was first diagnosed. People on this forum are great support though. I learned a lot from them and from reading up, that I felt like an expert. Nutrition is important once you have finished treatment, do what you can while you are going through it. But if you go through chemo, you'll want to eat and eat what you want without feeling guilty. All the best with your treatment, get support from people when are where tyou can.

Anyway I just wanted to post my page for the Brighton run. I know's it's not a marathon and people endure more to raise money, but thought it was good cause and close to our hearts raising money for BCC.

https://www.justgiving.com/BarryDole

Love to you all Barry xxx

Highlighted

Hi em6619

I m so terrified like you and not sleeping eating. We ll supper each other as best we can xx
Highlighted

Hi Em I am 59 and I was just diagnosed with breast cancer Invasive Lobular. About the18th of December I got a mammogram and a scan and a biopsies as I had found a massive hard lump at the front of my breast I thought it was a lipoma. i went away for Christmas and Newyear feeling afraid but hopeful as the Radiologist was positive that it was nothing to worry about. Went back after hols, biopsies was inconclusive. Got another done went back, Cancer. Had MRI scan, showed up 2 lumps, went back got biopsi on the other one, scan on lymph nodes. Again they were sure the nodes would be OK. Result cancer. I am going in on Thurs for opp.

I know what you mean about not being able to get it out of you head. On the day I was told I just knew what he was going to say and some how kept my composure, asking questions etc yet feeling my gut had just dropped out. What broke me was when the MacMillan Nurse introduced herself. It just brought back memories of my sister. That's the moment I keep remembering. 

I decided des that I was going to go into it fighting, get as much info as I could. I strongly beleive in the benefits of healthy eating, vitamins, mineral, etc. So I have been totally detoxing my body to prepare it for what is coming, eating cancer fighting food, avoiding cancer causing food etc. Have you been detoxing etc.?

I feel so much better for it. Feel that I am doing something to fight this. 

I I know what you mean about the Cemo I am reluctant to have that as well and may decline if and when the time comes. I know I will be getting Radiotherapy but for some reason I feel that that is right as part of my treatment. 

Do do you have people supporting you Em? It is hard for them as well, they have their fears as well but will be trying hard not to show it. 

So much to take in the illness, tests, results, information. It's not easy but please try to stay positive. Help your body by giving it what it needs to fight this. Beleive you can beat it and you will Em. Let me know your opp date. Take care stay strong xxx

Highlighted

Hello all! Inspiring reading all of your stories and journeys through cancer. I'm 32, no history of breast cancer in family and have just been diagnosed with breast cancer 20th Jan. what we all thought was eczema turned out to be Paget's disease. Very rare- although I'm thankful- without the symptoms on my nipple - I wouldn't have known about the cancer within my boob. I haven't slept since I had the news.

After mammograms and further biopsies early indication looks like DCIS and an invasive BC lump as well as Paget's. I have no option but to have a mastectomy. I'm not phased by this at present as I feel I just want the cancer out of me. Although given all the info - I just can't get the moment I was told out my head.

On Wednesday I'll have those biopsies confirmed, treatment plan and Operation date - although I guess treatment will depend on the pathology report and lymph node tests. I've been told to prepare for chemo- I'm so scared of this thought. I know I will do it knowing it is there to prevent recurrence - but I'm more scared of chemo than the operation itself.

They also discussed the BRAC gene testing- I also have a very large behind lump on my right breast behind my nipple. I'm scared if I can get through this cancer of that turning later in life and am just considering a double mastectomy. I don't know if I get through this and come through the other side if I could bare to go through it all again.

I'm also not fussed about reconstruction - if I get through cancer and survive- I will be proud of my scars I have. I don't know - any advice from anyone? Likely treatment? So much to think about I feel like I'm dreaming.
Highlighted

Thank to you all for the words of support. I havent been told or didnt hear what sort of cancer it is. I will have to ask next time I see the team. I am glad to know that my reactions are normal. My daughter is more concerned that I will try to be too strong and it will lead to me making myself ill after I have gone through the process. X

Highlighted

Thank you both. Really do appreciate your words of support xx

Highlighted

Smiley HappyHya..... Just thought I would ask how your chemo is going for you? I think we are at similar stages. I had my second chemo on the 14 jan. Side effects havnt been as bad this time but I'm neutropenic again. Thankfully I am at home and keeping a vigil on any temp etc. despite the bone marrow injections my neutrophils are still hit hard. I'm having to stay at home in isolation because of infections. Not sure if it's going to be like this every treatment? I hope you are coping well and I'm hoping that 2016 is hoping to be very kind to us and we have positive outcomes! On a positive note I can say that the tumour is responding so far and is reducing. I've got a scan on the 17 February to check the size! 

Im glad to say that my eating has remained as constant as always and I'm careful about nutrition. Please keep me posted on your diary of how it's all going on our journey. 

Take care and huge hugs for us all. Deb xx

Spoiler
Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Champion

Julia and Scareym, 

Feeling all over the place, jittery and quite frankly terrified is really normal, let's be clear about this and to use words of my breast care nurse "this is a life changing diagnosis." Having said that, we all have to adapt to a great many changes throughout our lives and willing or not, we do adapt. You will feel a little better about this in time, you need to give yourself time to get used to it.

There is a whole new language to learn, all sorts of procedures and tests to go through and waiting, oh the waiting...its torture! You just need to try and take each step as it comes. Who you do and don't tell is up to you, but you will need lots of support to help you get through the various stages of treatment... and your family and friends will want to know; you would if it was happening to them. 

You will be able to cope better than you imagine, please be kind to yourselves and don't think it is in anyway wrong to feel so overwhelmed and shaky at this early stage...but it will get easier!

Amanda x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Julia, my lovely, you will go on, you'll get the strength from somewhere, speak to your dr or this helpline on here. It's so hard to hear people say, take each step at a time......... I honestly didn't think I could take the waiting for every apt or result! Lack of sleep makes it harder..... Deep breath Hun, talk to whoever you feel able to, scream, cry, shout, we've all done it and still doing it!! Are you on own?  Here for you, PM me if you prefer, but please Julie, talk to someone and if needs be get something to help you relax and doers xxxx Here for you Tina 

Highlighted

Thanks Tandy4. Really appreciate your support. I just feel so physically weak and exhausted with not sleeping. The lying awake with intense panic attacks is scaring me to the point I don't t know how I ll go on. Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Julia and scarym, what you're both going through is hell and all of us on here have been in the same position at some point. The waiting is bloody awful! This thread (and others) are a godsend and everyone is lovely and supportive. On here there are girls at the same point as you as well as others who are through surgery and going through other treatments. Everyone will be here for you on this **bleep**ty road to recovery girls xxx

Good luck with results and further scans guys, we are all here for you. 😚

i was diagnosed in August with grade 2 lobular after first op in October and lymph biopsy discovered no clear margin (size was bigger than original scans) second op in November to gain clear margin and lymph node clearence. Started chemo in December and I'm almost half way through it. It's a horrible, cruel silent disease but we can do this!!!! 👍🏼 Hugs and love to you xxx Tina 

Highlighted

Scareym- you will find this forum a source of strength. Have you had any biopsies done to tell what sort you Have?  I am glad that outlook is good for u. Same for me but think the emotions etc still the same.

Highlighted

Thank you.  Its reassuring to know that its normal to feel like this. It is one of those things that has always been one of the things that we fear the most so to be affected is a scarey thing. I am grateful that mine has been caught early and the prognosis is good but it is like no other disease in creating such fear.

I am sure that taking it one day at a time is the only way to go and tomorrow is another day. 

Highlighted

I m exactly the same. Nod of for 10 mins and then awake in a state and can t control myself. Please keep in touch. Jo is fantastic support and has helped me over the last few days xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Scareym you are not going mad love and the feelings you have are completely normal, I was a total basket case some days and even getting out of bed was too much, anxiety will grip you and make you feel like you are losing your mind but it's all part of the process of trying to accept what's happening, and you will one step at a time, try and only focus on the next stage and no further as it's just too overwhelming and far too much for our poor shattered brains to deal with! Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have two weeks to wait for lumpectomy but just feel like its a rollercoater up one day have a great day with family or back at work and then I forget about it all but then it seems to hit me harder. Trying to not make it into a big drama but some times it feels like I just want to scream.

Thanks for the support, hope you can find a way to get some sleep.  I know if I do sleep I wake up feeling sick when I realise its still there. X

Highlighted

Hi Scareym

i m in the exact place as you. Diagnosed Friday with DCIS after biopsy by wire guided excision. I have to go back week Tuesday for another wide guide excision to take more tissue to ensure clear margins. Then have to have 3 weeks of radiotherapy. I m so scared, not sleeping, hyperventilating and just feel terrible. If you want to talk anytime just let me know and I ll forward you my number xx

Highlighted

Diagnosed 13th Jan after recall from routine mamogram. Not really sure how i feel even now. Putting a brave face on for the family but just want to cry. I am trying to be positive and get on with normal life but it doesnt feel normal in my head. Havent even told lots of people as i cant say the words. I swing between talking about it as if its happening to some one else and just wanting to cry i would ask if this is normal but looking at other posts i dont think anyone would say what is normal any more.

I have date for surgery and all being well will have radiotherapy after that. So confused as i am such a positive person and am trying to see the positives but still feel so  low some days. Can some one just tell me that i am not losing my mind and this is what is to be expected at this time.

Highlighted
Community Champion

I have been thinking about you Ange, hope you're back home and feeling ok now?

How are the side effects Chris...maybe even if you have some, they won't feel quite so bad as it's your last one!

Barry I can't believe how long you're having to wait for an appointment! I went to my GP a couple of weeks with a prolapsed bladder (not uncommon for menopausal ladies, especially those who have had children- I had four, I think it is no coincidence that this happened two weeks after my first chemo!) and I already have been given an appointment with a specialist for the 17th Feb! And out health authority is in special measures and overspent)

Hope everybody is doing ok.

Amanda x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yay Chris xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Woo! 👍🏻 Fab news Chris! Will be thinking of you with your last round today! 👏🏼 Hoping you get few SE. lots of love xx Tina
Hope everyone else is good?
Highlighted

Good luck Chris - may your final side effects be little ones xxx
Highlighted

Yay Chris! Last one 🙂 hopefully no bad SEs, and no rads is good too x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Well done on getting to the last one Chris,hope it is kind to you !!!!
Highlighted

Yep, just to agree with everyone else's comments,without this board I'm not sure I'd have got through these last few months. I was diagnosed at the beginning of June and have my last chemo later today. Yippee! Haven't got to have radio so I'm nearly there. Lots of love to all of you who are still going through the various treatments, you can do it!! Chris xx ps I also logged on to see if Delly had been on, good to hear from Tina that she is ok and yes it is 4:30 am, bleeping steroids!!