Just diagnosed

Hello everyone x

I have just been told i have BC.  Can not believe i am actually saying these words…Went for a random mammogram for 47 year olds got called back for repeat when the doctor did a lot more tests and said she saw some dense tissue and just to be safe biopsy it.  Nothing came up on the ultrasound and she seemed very reasurring.  Went yesterday for the results with my husband and there were the words you have breast cancer.  They said that is why we do the screening it is very early stages stage 1 proges and eost they say the best type to get (to me it’s still C)   I will be booked in within the month for a lumpetomy and 2 weeks of radiation therapy .  One part of me is grateful it’s early but my mind is running away with me as i have sholulder pain and am thinking its everywhere. I can’t eat, feel sick is this normal?  I have 2 beautiful children 6 and 9 and feel my life is ending.

Hi Trishy, 

Welcome to the forum, not a place any of us would have chosen to be but we all help and support each other and share our experiences so I hope you will find some comfort here ?

Your diagnosis sounds a lot like mine, I found out I had breast cancer 3 years ago aged 46 , had gone to my Gp about a lump which once at the breast clinic it was found to be just fat but the ultrasound picked up something else which after a biopsy showed to be an early grade 1 cancer. 

Totally traumatising at the time but with hind sight I feel incredibly fortunate that it was found at that stage as it was dealt with by removal and radiotherapy and within a few months life was back on track. 

Emotionally its so very hard and the way you are feeling right now is completely normal, we all imagined it was spreading and every little twinge would be sinister but in reality it is nothing like that for the majority of us but it’s what we go through as our minds try to adjust to what the hell is happening! 

A lumpectomy is a straight forward op and mainly done as a day case, I was wheeled out of theatre at midday and on my way home by 2.30pm and inspite of having just had an operation I was on a complete high and recovered really well within a few days with lots of extra pampering from hubby! 

Your children are much younger than mine , they were in their 20’s so we had to tell them but you don’t need to with yours, let life carry on as normal for them it will really help you too as you do the normal every day things with them that have to be done. 

You are at the worst part of the whole process at the minute where your still in shock and waiting on an op and results, it really tough but it will pass and you will fight back and be amazed at how strong you will come out the other side! Xx Jo 

Thank you Jobey88 for you’re kind words and experience. Sorry you had to go through this, I am so worried . They said the us scan showed nothing under the arm but I am terrified that it has gone there and spread or something. Also I am still waiting for the 2 tests to come back I think Hep or something. Is it normal to have a sinking feeling all the time and I can’t eat. I don’t want to be alone either x

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/bd-p/4432

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/Newly-Diagnosed/m-p/1202387#M73813

What you are feeling is totally normal . I was diagnosed aged 48 two years ago. I had two tumours and an area of DCIS . I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.
You are bound to be upset by this…it’s a massive deal but it has been caught early …it doesn’t seem like it now but you are lucky it’s been found early.
Once your treatment is done you will slowly get back to normal. It takes time. You will gave days when you are worried about every ache and pain …it’s normal…I’d you have worries don’t be afraid to speak to the hospital or your GP. If you need to talk I will listen.
Be kind to yourself .
Jane xx

Thanks guys it really helps when I hear similar stories. I know it is very fortunate they caught it early. Had apt at hospital yesterday and it is idc grade 1 ER 9mm she said v slow thinks it’s been there over a year. doctor wants the results from the HER test so booked to see her next Tuesday then op 12th I really hope I haven’t got the HER2 I have got over the shock and went to the gym after work today but v surreal people working out and I’m thinking I have BC and no one knows! Trying to get my body fit and strong for the op etc… I am trying to not think about it and enjoy Easter and my brother is over from NY Sunday. Hope everyone else is doing well. Xx

Hi Trisha and Jo. Have just read every message in this thread and Jo I have to congratulate you on your words and messages. I think maybe you were one of the first to leave a message for me earlier this week when I first joined. Having just read all through I feel so much better and maybe a little less fearsome. This sounds just like me and my diagnosis however I don’t know the grade of mine and cant remember if I was even told this and hers2?? I hadn’t heard of this until reading this thread. Should I be asking the question to my nurse? All I know on the size of mine is that it is tiny both the surgeon and the doctor doing the scan said this. It is this that is giving me sanity and keep telling myself it has been found in early stages. On the day of my results I ended up having 5 mammograms so the doctor doing the ultra sound was 100% sure he had the right spot with finally after scanning for 10 mins or more he finally placed a piece of lead shot on the outside then final mammogram confirming he had the right place. He had. He then inserted another clip as the first clip from the biopsy was in the wrong place which concerned me but I was reassured the biopsy was taken from the correct place it was just the clip was fired over to far. I then went inmelt down again saying what if the surgeons wire to the wrong clip??? And operate in completely the wrong place. He said they won’t. The first thing I know for sure on the day will be to check with them which clip they are aiming for as this is on my mind. Jo thank you again for your words and comments and congrats on becoming a grandparent.i have 2 grand daughters and they are amazing. Xxx. Trisha good luck and take care.

Im sorry your having to deal with this. Its a real biggy hearing the C word. I was diagnosed yesterday but waiting a week for the results. You struck a chord with me as I too cant eat, feel so sick with worry. Im here if you need to talk … Take care.