Just wanted to say hi - diagnosed with BC at age 35

Hi! Pleasure to meet you all.

Just wanted to say hi to people in the same boat as me who will understand the rollercoaster that we are on. 

I still can’t believe my diagnosis, I’m 35 and feel fine! No family history of BC or female cancers. I have 2 little ones age 4 and 6.

I was diagnosed just over a week ago with what they currently consider to be stage 1 grade 3 ER+ PR+ and HER2? (unsure until lumpectomy results). I feel that the diagnosis could have been missed for a year sadly as I went to the breast clinic last July with changes to my breast and had an US that showed no abnormalities. However I continued to get some subtle nipple changes (a new symptom, the first one was thickening) but I felt too reassured by my previous scan that I didn’t rush back until it was REALLY bothering me. This time being a year older at 35 I was eligible for a mammogram which showed a 1.9cm tumour. Gutted that this wasn’t spotted sooner if it could have been and angry with myself for not being more proactive about going back. I lost my lovely dad late last year and I think the grief for a while overshadowed any of my concerns for myself. Life hey!

Lumpectomy is this Friday. I used to be scared of general anaesthesia and now I can’t wait to get this little bugger out. 

I am worried about the cancer returning, I feel I have many years looking over my shoulder now and have been told that because of my age and grade that chemo is probably gonna be the way to go. I am scared of how this will make me feel (the fatigue with 2 young children is not a good match) and I won’t lie the potential hair loss frightens me too as I have always been very attached (aren’t we all lol) to my long and thick hair. I will be cold capping all the way if I need it. 

I am spending my hours either ignoring the whole thing or researching like a mad woman. My newest discovery is the Oncotype test so I am wondering if I may be offered this… I guess I will find out soon enough!

Sorry it was a bit of a long winded intro, it was therapeutic to write it all down! Any advice or wisdom will be much appreciated and take care everyone.

Helen xxx

Hi Helen

I have just read your story. I am sorry to hear about this but you have done the right thing posting on here as you will get lots of support from all the ladies going through different stages of BC. Any questions however small just ask someone will come along and support you.

I was diagnosed in 2014 at the age of 58, after a routine mammogram, I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy & hormone therapy(anastrozole) Mine was a grade 3. I had just arranged to get married in Gibraltar for the second time when I was diagnosed but everything was arranged for me and I married in Sept 2014,.

We all worry about it returning but my best advice for you is take a day at a time and don’t try to look to far ahead.

I am now 5 years on and am enjoying life .

I am sending you & your family lots of love.

Please keep posting and let us know how it all goes on Friday.

I will be thinking about you.

Take Care

Angie. XX

It is seven months since I was diagnosed with Stage 2 BC it was 2.4 cm and not picked up in previous mammograms . I had a lumpectomy January nearing end of chemo then radiotherapy . Then hormone treatment for years . It is hard enough at my age am 61 so my heart goes out to you . But you will get to the end of treatment and this website offers a lot of support . Good luck with cold cap it worked for me ! 

Hi Helen,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I just wanted to say it’s good that you are researching. Many people with a diagnosis such as cancer feel helpless but there are things one can do in terms of diet/lifestyle to help fight cancer and reduce recurrence risk. Every little helps.

All the best. Stay strong :slight_smile:

Hi Helen

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis - like you I am newly diagnosed so still finding my feet on this scary journey.  I don’t know yet if I have to have chemo - I have had a lumpectomy which showed Grade 3 IDC and I am still waiting to hear about whether its hormone positive or not.  I go back in a couple of weeks for a node biopsy.  What I am worried about (ridiculously as its a minor thing really) is losing my hair (not long but thick) so I have been reading about the cold cap too.  I am hoping that I might only have to have tablets and radiotherapy but time will tell.  What I have had to learn so far is to be patient - all the waiting is hard whilst completely understandable given time it takes to get things through labs etc.   This forum is full of great people who are happy to share their knowledge which I have already found incredibly helpful.  x

Hi, have not commented on here since before yesterday. So helpful coming on and talking to people in the same situation. Diagnosed in May at 37 and it has been so difficult. Finally coming to the realisation that it is treatable but still find it hard some days to see the positive. Had surgery for a lumpectomy and then full node clearance 4 weeks later so it’s been so full on I feel like I haven’t had chance to properly take it all in. I do have chemotherapy to be arranged yet so that feels like my next worry at the moment but trying to think of it as another hurdle to overcome on this journey. It’s good that we can all support each other even though it is not the path we would have chosen. Julie xx