MRI results and (some of my) treatment plan today.

Recently diagnosed (previously posted about this ) with grade 2, ER+ BC, mammo, ultrasound and biopsies done 2 weeks ago, mri last week, and two weeks of waiting for more info.  

MRI results today showed I have invasive ductal carcinoma. I now also know; 2 tumours confirmed in right breast (no measurements given) larger one deeply attached to the nipple so only option is mastectomy, which I expected and fully accept, and it’s HER2 neg. 

I am in in two weeks for sentinel node biopsy to check for spread, so strict isolating from my family for two weeks before and (new hospital policy) one week after. I also had a further needle aspiration today because I have some fluid build up which can be associated with a type a lymphoma. This is rare apparently so I’m desperately hoping it’s not that (as it can be down to something more routine) and now have everything crossed for fluid and lymph node tests being negative.

No further info given about other post op treatments until the other results both come back and the fuller picture is known. He suggested chemo less likely, probably radiotherapy. 

I had been imagining the absolute worst case scenario in my head, and I’m relieved it wasn’t as bad as I imagined, but I still don’t have all the info so have to wait at least 3 weeks before knowing exactly what I’m facing in full.  

I have a supportive husband and older children so that helps but it’s still hard isn’t it? I think so many agree (from what I read here) that the waiting is such an awful part of it…so much of this ‘journey’ is waiting.  

Sending very best wishes to everyone xx

Hi Louise,

I was thinking of you all day, it sounds like it was very hard, I’m sorry. But you are further along your, for want of a better word, journey, and have more info. But yes the waiting is the worst of all.  Good that it’s HER2- fingers crossed on the fluid. Sorry to ask and you don’t have to answer, but why aren’t they doing the mastectomy at the same time as your node removal?

I’m so sorry you have to join the complete isolation gang, it is hard not to get the hugs and human contact but it does give you time to process all the things going on. I found being allowed to “just be” with no distractions was therapeutic and I wrote a lot of things down to get it out of my head. 

Take care. Jo x

The waiting is the worst. My life is on hold and my autistic daughter and partner are bearing the brunt of my moods. It has to get better surely.

much love and hugs - I’m trying to focus on the joy in everyday things but it can be hard x