MRI results tomorrow

Hi 

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the consultant about my scan results 

I am struggling today with anxiety , I went to see my gp last Thursday to get a sick note and he could see the mri results on his screen , he told me the cancer was not in my other breast and hadn’t gone to my nipple, but he went quiet and said he couldn’t understand all the readings and then asked me where I had scanned which I thought was a weird question 

I should have asked him why at the time but just didn’t think , now I’m scared they have seen something else in another organ which is freaking me out

I don’t know whether to see if I can make another appointment today with the gp and ask him to clarify or just wait till tomorrow but it’s making me so scared 

Also I was expecting my appointment to be in the breast clinic but it’s in Integrated surgery which both buildings are next to each other but thats made me overthink 

what do you think I should do ? X 

Its very easy to start reading things into things Sparkle, its a natural human thing to do when we have a lack of information - to try and fill in the gaps. It happens often on here when people think they’ve been given an early appointment because ‘they know something I don’t’ or their letter/results came quickly and so they think this must be bad news, for example. I’ve done the same myself, you start whirring thoughts around and joining things in a way due to the underlying fear you are feeling. We become hypervigilant to people’s expressions, their words and actions and start looking for possible underlying clues and meanings.

“but he went quiet and said he couldn’t understand all the readings and then asked me where I had scanned which I thought was a weird question”

In all honesty it sounds to me like a GP who was legitimately confused by the results he was trying to look at, reading complex MRI results might not be something they do, and if they do then very rarely. Maybe there was a new format for presenting them, with new stats given that meant nothing to him ? What did you tell him when he asked ‘where did you have scanned’ ? If he can’t even work that out from the results letter, then it certainly does sound like there was something confusion on his part.

What would you like him to clarify for you - do you think he’d be able to if he couldn’t yesterday ? I know you are terrified, but as hard as it is I don’t know you’ll get a better and more helpful interaction from the GP after the last one. Your appointment is ‘only’ tomorrow (feels like a lifetime right now doesn’t it ), and those are the people who know what they are doing and deal with these results all the time. It could be that the GPs don’t give these types of results anyway, and prefer the consultants to do them…

What is the integrated surgery department - who are you seeing there ?

Hello Sparkle,

Im presuming you will have had your results by the time you read this . I cant really offer any words of wisdom except I always find I need to ask the question to anything I dont understand otherwise it wrecks my head. In this instance I would probably have just come on this site as you have done, and then just put up with my head being done in until appointment. 

Youll get a clearer explanation at your appointment I would think.

Its a shame youve had to see the GP at all as its probably not his speciality which is probably why he didnt understand the results, and to get a BC nurse who didnt seem interested is awful. Certainly not the experience you would expect I hope its a one off. 

Sorry I havent got anything more constructive to say I just wanted you to know you are being listened to .

Hope your results are better than you think they are x 

Big hugs Steph x