Mastectomy terrified

Hi I was diagnosed on 25/5 with grade1 & looks like no prob with lymph node. Further investigation to be done on day of op. Everyhing has happened over 3 weeks. On day of results I was told only option mastectomy I was traumatised … Op is on 13 June I’m absolutely petrified. ? x

Hi Candie

It’s Emily here from Breast Cancer Care.

I’m really sorry to hear about your diagnosis and the shock of finding out you’re having a mastectomy so soon. Many of our volunters have had a mastectomy (with a similar diagnosis to you) and would be be happy to talk to you before your surgery if you want to speak to someone who’s been there.

If you think this would help while you’re waiting for replies on here, feel free to send me a direct message with your name and number, and we’ll get in touch to arrange a time for a volunteer to call you.

Wishing you all the best,

Emily

Thank you Emily I will do x

Hi Candie, sorry you find yourself here. I had mx and full lymph removal in November and have to wait a year for reconstruction due to my high risk for recurrence.   I’m surprised it’s an mx for you with grade 1 tumour and no lymph spread. Are you BRACA or is it a large tumour?  I can’t say it’s easy because it really is a horrid thing for a women to have to go through so give yourself time to weep if you need to.  I cried every day in the week or two before my surgery.  It does get easier.  I’m all healed now and getting on with life, pretty normally.  Here’s my story which you may find some comfort from: lifeafterlola.blogspot.com/

Sendng hugs. Xxxx

Hi, Candie. I’ve had a double MX (left side out of choice), but I was able to have immediate reconstruction (DIEP flap) 5weeks ago. I had 2 invasive areas grade 1and 2 and a large area if DCIS. Despite this large area they still talked about a therapeutic mamoplasty (breast reduction) I was 38 DD, but they wouldn’t do anything straight away about the other side. I knew I didn’t want to be lopsided and I knew I didn’t want to be flat. I did my research and found out about all the options, did my pros and cons list and made my choice. I know I was in a lucky position with my diagnosis to have a choice and I can’t tell you how pleased I am with that choice. 

Make sure they have given you all the options and explained why you “have” to have the mastectomy. xxx