Mucinous Breast Cancer

I have been recently diagnosed with Mucinous Breast Cancer, which I have been told is uncommon. Does anyone have experience with this type of breast cancer, how the treatment went and what the risk factors are? I am 45, a healthy weight, drank on average 2 glasses of wine a week (but now stopped), breastfed 2 children and never used pill. The diagnosis has come as a complete shock. I am due to have breast conserving surgery and a sentinel node biopsy in July and then further along, radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Thank you.

Hi

No experience of this I’m sorry but just wanted to give you a virtual hug.

If you don’t get a reply on here you could try the Macmmillan forums, there may be someone over there that can help you

Take care

Lou x

Hi Annie,

I was diagnosed on 23rd June with mixed mucinous and ductal carcinoma with intermediate grade DCIS. So it looks like I have a mixture of cancers. I’m at a similar stage to you, I’ve just turned 50, my surgery is booked for 15th July and as long as no surprises are found are due to have radiotherapy and tamoxifen too. Do you have the number for your Breast Care Nurse? They may be able to explain a little more what your particular diagnosis means. I think I’m going to call mine this week for an explanation of mine. Take care R x

Hi I was diagnosed with mucinous cancer in April, found a lump by chance on Easter Day but was otherwise fine and healthy so a complete shock. It is unnerving being told you have a rare cancer and I then had to have 2 operations as the first did not get clear margins.  I was also thrown to learn that I had micrometastases in the sentinel lymph node and that they had removed 8 nodes instead of the 1 or 2 I had expected.  However none of this has changed my treatment plan, the good news about mucinous cancer is they say it is very unlike to recur, so I don’t need chemotherapy.  The second operation a few weeks ago achieved clear margins so I have now started letrozole (as it’s 8 for oestrogen receptive) and waiting to start radiotherapy.  Am feeling pretty optimistic now as it sounds like I should be able resume normal life quite soon without too much problem.  Will have regular mammograms but they say risk of recurrence is very low .  Good luck with it all. 

Hello, I just recently joined the forum and was diagnosed with mucinous breast cancer last month. I had a lumpectomy a few days ago. I’m 72, so am considering not doing hormone therapy. How are you doing?