New here and scared

Hi, I’m new here and was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal breast cancer yesterday, following a biopsy and ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. I’m 31 and feel like my life has just been taken away from me.

I know the cancer is ER+, but they don’t know yet if it’s HERS2 positive or negative. I’m currently waiting on dates for a CT/MRI scan, have been referred for genetic testing (I don’t have any family history of breast cancer) and have been referred to the fertility team (I don’t have any children). I have an appointment with the consultant in 3 weeks time to discuss treatment.

The breast cancer nurse I spoke to yesterday was lovely and gave me lots of information and literature to read (and had highlighted key bits that are relevant to me). I just feel so numb and emotional at the moment, I can’t seem to get through a single hour of the day without bursting into tears. Work have been great and told me to take all the time I need, but at this point in time, I can’t envisage a time where I’ll feel ok about it.

Does it ever get easier?

Hi,

I’m so sorry you find yourself here. Where you now are is the worst bit, it is just horrible and was by a long way the hardest time of my life, the shock is like nothing else. Once you know exactly what you’re dealing with it and have a plan it really does get easier.  And when you start treatment mentally it feels good to know you’re doing something about it. The bit you’re in now is just waiting around and time just goes so slowly.

I was diagnosed last July with grade 3 triple positive. I’m 35. I had 5 months of chemo then surgery. I’m now on herceptin for a year and have started exemestane which will be for 10 years. Treatment is hard but completely doable. I still have days where I get upset but I have way more good days than bad days.  I’m back at work and feeling physically back to normal.

Sending lots of love, please message me if there’s anything else you’d like to know that would help x

Hi @KT_90  ,

I’m in a similar situation to you. Had my biopsy 7th Feb and lumpectomy 7th March, so desling with much descomfort. Waiting until the 23rd when I’ll get results. I’m DIC ER+. 

I was high and low, alternating between very numb and very tearful. I’m trying to block out thoughts until I get results and we’ll deal with it when we have to.  I still feel that cancer is something that happens to other people. 

The nurses and doctors at the breast centre and the hospital were so lovely, angels in disguise and I actually felt cocooned from the real world when I was in there. 

So this will be the new normal. Only my husband knows as I don’t want to upset the family. I’m self employed so it’s okay to be at home, thankful to Covid in a way, that we can hide away from people. 

You’ll find a new normal. I’m just feeling thankful for the small things like bedtime, and getting through another day. I don’t suppose this will have helped,but just so you know, you’re not alone. xx