New with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ

Hello all,

I had my 1st routine mammogram on 4th of February, I was kind of ignoring this as I am 48 with no family history and covid.

Then came letter to go back in wasn’t really worried at that point because I had been about 10 years ago as a referral and had an ultra sound as a mammogram couldn’t be done, being quite small size.

Cancer care nurse explained that ductal carcinoma in situ had been found in my left breast very deep close to ribs and breast bone,

they did a biopsy and put a metal marker in place, the results came back a week later, that the cell area measured 15mm and they would want to remove this, so a radio seed was placed in the area too,

I had the operation last Tuesday to remove the area, seems very pain when try to sleep , this is a problem as I suffered a migraine too over the weekend, I am waking up with tears and feeling as though I’ve just come out out from the general anaesthetic, all emotional.

now waiting for the results of this.

Has anyone else had experience with or further information? 

Thanks for reading any help will much appreciated

@Helen L-S  - welcome to this lovely forum, but I’m so sorry you find yourself here. I hope you will find lots of support and advice on here.

I can’t answer your specific question about DCIS as I had an invasive lump, but I did have surgery and have also shed many tears over the years, so I am happy to share any information that might help.

I was surprised at how emotional I was after my surgery, but later discovered that it can take quite a while for general anaesthetic to leave your system. Once I knew that it helped me to deal with the emotions I was feeling at the time.

At the moment your body is trying to recover from an operation and a dose of GA, but equally your mind is trying to cope with “what the heck just happened and why?” I describe my diagnosis as being hit by a truck that came out of nowhere.

It might sound a cliche, but see if you can take one day at a time. The early days of recovery seem slow but all of a sudden you will be back to normal. However, if there are things that don’t seem quite right do always call your own breast team, or give the nurses on here a call. Are you feeling up to going out for short walks? Now is the time for lots of kindness to yourself, whatever most helps you. But most of all, do keep chatting on here if I or others can help you - with advice or just listening.

Sending you hugs and strength, Evie xx