Newbie and struggling to cope

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer which has spread to my lymph nodes and have been told I will need chemotherapy, and mastectomy and radiotherapy. I am petrified of starting chemo and losing my hair. Also I was signed off work for a month but now work are putting pressure on for me to return ASAP. Does anyone else find it difficult coping with work and dealing with cancer or is it just me? Do people continue working or go back when you have finished treatment? Be grateful to hear advice from anyone as I feel a total mess

Hi Emmylou 

I would not go to work feeling as you do . It’s a lot to deal with mentally. You need time to get a plan in place and things will settle down . It’s the shock !  I signed off as soon as I was diagnosed as couldn’t deal with work . I have had lumpectomy and currently on radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Don’t let your work put pressure on you . Things will get easier once you get started. I know how I felt at the beginning. I’m taking full 6 months off . This forum is brilliant. Always someone here to chat or listen. Sending love ?

Just to add when I first went to doctor I was given a months line . But told me just to come back and have it extended apparently that’s how it works xxx

Hi Emmylou

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. My GP signed me off when I was going through the diagnostic stage for two weeks and when I saw my consultant she signed me off for a further 3 months.

I am a health visitor, so personally, I feel unable to deal with my work at the moment whilst I am undergoing treatment. At the moment, I a m being selfish and thinking of myself. My work have been very supportive and occupational health are supporting my sick leave too. Do you have occupational health you can speak too - they shouldn’t be putting pressure on you to return.

I wish you well and keep coming back to the forum. I’ve found it amazing.

Hugs Mel x