I have been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma , my lumpectomy is scheduled for the 1 st June followed by radiotherapy . I’m alreAdy taking letrozole . Just wondered if there was anyone else at the same stage . My family are very supportive as are my friends .its the not knowing what’s next that’s hard .ive W obviously googled but now worried about the what ifs 

Hi 

sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I’m at a similar stage. I’ve had my lumpectomy and am waiting to get my results next week. I also have to have radiotherapy and hormone therapy and will find out this week when the start. 

For me it was a relief to get the lumpectomy out the way. I found the procedure fine, and all has been well since. Some pain early on which is under control and manageable. I find the waiting for the results worse than the treatment. 
 I am trying to keep off google, which i know is easier said than done, and  just try to look at this site to help prepare for questions I want to ask the team when I get my next results.

Covid isn’t helping but I was thankful the surgery was still able to go ahead in good time.

wishing you well, and happy to share experiences. 

Hi nannyval

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It’s a huge shock and there’s a lot of uncertainty ahead - but it’s all manageable, honestly. There are so many women here, many of whom have already been through it and can be wise with their advice. It’s not nice but everybody responds to treatment in different ways. With that in mind, I really would strongly advise you to save your questions for your breast care nurse or your oncology team. Alternatively you can ask general questions here in the forums and ring the nurses at the number above for anything more significant - they are very knowledgeable and reassuring. It’s a wonderful service. Dr Google is NOT helpful. Google can’t take into account the specifics of your precise diagnosis, nor your emotional state. The information is often out of date or above our pay grade (unless you’re a medical professional) and the result is additional confusion, fear and anxiety. I broke my rule just once and did I regret it! I ended up needing my breasts care nurse to explain things differently so my fears were allayed but I had a horrid few days!

Take good care of yourself and look after your emotional health particularly. Personally, I think it’s at least half of the breast cancer experience! X

Hi Nannyval,

I’m almost three weeks post op with similar diagnosis. It will be such a relief to have your surgery and move onto the next stage. Everyone has been so kind and I have found this forum really valuable. My tumour has accrued air miles jetting to California for Oncotype test so oncology appt originally for tomorrow has been put back two weeks. I’m hoping to start radiotherapy in the next month and then tamoxifen.  Breast cancer really is the gift that keeps on giving!! 
wishing you all the best for your surgery, it will be over before you know. 

Mel xx