Newly Diagnosed & Looking For Encouragement

Hi everyone,

On Friday I received the dreaded diagnosis: Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (left breast and lymph nodes). My first oncology appointment is this coming Friday with chemo likely commencing the following week. I’ve been told I’ll probably need 4-5 months of chemo, a mastectomy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy as my cancer is both progesterone and oestrogen positive; HER2 came back “borderline” so is apparently being tested further. I’ve been offered fertility preservation (I’m 36 and a Mum to a little boy who’s just turned one). I’ve already had a CT and an MRI which were luckily ok. I’m also waiting for the results of the genetic testing.

When I had my original appointment at the breast clinic, they pretty much told me then and there it wasn’t good news. However, without pathology reports there was no additional context and so of coarse the next two weeks were very very dark. I’ve had backache for a while as well as headaches and swollen lymph nodes in the neck and got pretty sick with a terrible cold shortly after my appointment. Because I had no details, I was convinced cancer had spread which Dr Google had of coarse confirmed lol 

Like I mentioned, luckily it didn’t turn out to be the case at all and I was so happy, I almost downplayed the fact it’s Grade 3. Now I’ve had a little time to process, I’m finding myself really scared of the fact it’s a Grade 3… I feel like my diagnosis is only one down from “the worst” which is a huge shock. Having said that, they didn’t even give me a stage as apparently you don’t get that until after surgery. 

I’m just looking for some encouragement really. Maybe someone had a diagnosis similar to mine or at least a Grade 3. I think it’d really help me manage my anxiety. 

Many thanks,

N xxx

Hi @Florence_87  

You will certainly get lots of encouragement, support and friendly responses from this forum for sure and I have read of lots of people being diagnosed with grade 3 that will surely drop in for a chat.

First of all, no wonder you are anxious. You have had a shock, diagnosis no-one wants, and only have half a diagnosis really with no dates/definite plan of what is going to happen next. You’re on the rollercoaster of fear, up and down throughout the day but it will stop and you will get off. Hold on in there.

You said you were grade 3 and one down from ‘the worst’ but grade 3 doesn’t necessarily mean stage 3. There are 3 stages that show how different the cells look under a microscope to the normal, and 4 stages showing size, normally confirmed post histology (post surgery testing).

I was diagnosed a year ago this month, with stage 3, grade 2, hormone positive, HER2 negative, 3 primary tumours, biggest 55mm (how did I miss that for so long!), 2 positive lymph nodes and extensive vascular invasion (anything with the word extensive sounds terrifying). BUT:

You are in the system, diagnosed, being fully investigated with gene testing etc to find the full story, and then put together the best individualised treatment plan just for you.

Hormone positive means you can have hormone blockers for up to 10 years - another active treatment.

I’m still here and so are many others. I have read stories of 30+ years and then dying of something completely unrelated.

Grade 3 I understand responds really well to chemotherapy.

You will have surgery which will remove the cancer and lymph nodes - it will be gone, and we already know that you don’t have any evidence of it being elsewhere from MRI and CT.

Even stage 4 isn’t as scary as it once was. I have a friend who was diagnosed 3 years ago, and currently has no evidence of disease, when it was seen previously, because of the medications. 

Research is moving on quite quickly, and there may be newer, better, longer lasting things coming through for us.

I’m not a breast cancer expert and I am sure there will be lots of people drop on here to give you their stories and their encouragement. Good Luck. Come back and let us know how you get on.

Big hugs

Laura

Hi, welcome! I was diagnosed on 20th April with invasive ductal cancer gr3, I am er and pr positive, her negative. My ultrasound showed no lymph node involvement, I had an mri appt on 29th which showed two string lines in the same breast (found out on the 4th May) so I have to go back to ultrasound on 22nd May.  Sounds like your treatment is pushing through very quickly, I am almost a month in with no sign of anything so far… it’s starting to make me angry, I’m hoping the string lines they found are not an additional lobular cancer sorry, I’m usually very positive about the whole situation but today I’m just not feeling it hope you are doing ok x

Hi @Florence_87  my diagnosis is similar to yours…I was diagnosed in March with Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, oestrogen and estrogen positive and HER2 came also back "borderline"positive. My treatment plan was different. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel nodes biopsy in April and now I’m waiting for my first oncology appointment next Tuesday and I’m expecting to start chemo sometime after.

I’ve also had several symptoms since my diagnosis… including backache, constipation and fatigue. And I also cannot stop thinking this grade 3 beast invading my body. It’s early days for me too and I can relate to your feelings. This forum has been fantastic and everyone is very supportive. All the best for your appointment - there are useful posts in this forum that will help you prepare for it - everyone says it gets better once you know your treatment plan xxx

Hi Florence,

I am Winda, from the USA. I am 62. I have had a lump in my left breast 3 o’clock position for 12 years.

I refused to do anything until 2 years ago in

2021 because it got to be a larger lump and a additional nipple lump 

It got worse after 3 coronavirus vaccinations and lock down, that’s why I allowed them to biopsy.

Nipple lump is GONE BTW.

I went for MANY tests, I am Er+ Pr+ her2 neg grade 2 into 2 lymph nodes.

At 1st I was scared, overwhelmed and saw death up close for the 1st time.

Now I am not. I am living with it. I found and alternative Dr. and the medical medium, as strange guy who explains lots of peoples health issues. Google him. I am working on mind,body and spirit. Diet and exercise. Vegetables, Fruits and herbs as medicine.

Of course everyone wanted me to do the standard treatment…nope not for me. Most ladies here have much more courage than me, my anxiety will not allow me to do anything to my body. 

I went on anastrozole ( 3 pills per week not everyday) and they do ultrasounds  and blood tests.

I look normal except where they biopsy on left breast was performed.

I have no symptoms’. I have great energy and I feel fantastic.

I understand cancer thrives on sugar and chardonnay was a go to for me

during corona lockdown. It is like drinking pure sugar, so I understand how I got here. 

Alcohol will give you breast cancer, it is poison. Dr.s do not talk about it though, my alternative  Dr. does.

Living with breast cancer; it is doable. everything you have to do can be done. Your okay. Now you have to face it and make your choices.

Take your time, do research, make a list. it is reasonable to be scared.

Trust God or the higher power.

I will answer any questions you have. 

Winda

Hi Florence! Grade 3 here almost a year out. No it’s not ideal but pretty common in us younger women. Yes it adds a little wrinkle prognosis wise but that’s what chemo is for if it is recommended. It’s actually a plus to be grade 3 then. They have faster dividing cells which is exactly what chemo targets. You are also hormone positive so endocrine therapy is in your future, too. I’ve been on it six months with no horrific side effects to speak of. At this point, my hair is growing back by leaps and bounds, my breasts have been reconstructed and are healing with just the nipple tattoos to do, and my body feels back to normal. Maybe even a little bit better since I have now started exercising everyday. So yes you’ve got a challenging year ahead of you. But you can come back better than you were before diagnosis if that’s your goal. 

If you have specific questions about treatment or just pathology concerns don’t hesitate to ask. We’re all in this together. This club has one horrible thing in common but the other stuff we bring to the table is pretty awesome.