Newly diagnosed and scared. Time off work?

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while but have unfortunately now received my official diagnosis of breast cancer. It’s grade 3, 77mm tumour and cancer in the nodes. I’m still waiting for PET scan, and the hormone results, and once I have those my treatment plan can be finalised. hopefully that’ll happen this week. Treatment will be either chemo followed by surgery, or vice Versa depending on the rest of the results. 

My head is absolutely spinning. I’m 41 with 2 young children, and only found a lump in my armpit a few weeks ago. Now it feels like my world has come crashing down and I can’t do anything to stop it. 

ive got a few more tests results due this week, PET scan and Breast MRI. I don’t think I can go to work and concentrate at all. I feel nervous all the time, I keep bursting into tears and the thought of having to work in between appointments and tests results fills me with dread. 

I just need to know what I am facing and what the treatment plan is. I’m hoping for the best but aware it might be terrible news, as far as cancer diagnoses go. 

what have other people done about work? I’m very lucky I would get paid sick leave so I don’t need to worry about finances. I don’t think I’ve taken a day off sick in years, but I honestly feel like I couldn’t concentrate in meetings or get any work done this week. 

I do feel like once I know my treatment plan i will want to carry on working as much as possible. I need to keep busy and distracted, but this week I feel like I need to get on top of my life and concentrate on me. Is that ok?how have other people dealt with their diagnosis and juggling work expectations and personal life? 

sorry for rambling and hello to everyone on here. Your stories and inspiration have kept me positive the last few weeks xx

Hello
You are not rambling at all.

My only advise is to do whatever feels right for you at whatever time!  I took time off whilst sorting out my diagnosis and it was definitely the right thing for me to do… I kept myself busy, went walking loads and tried to stock up on energy - physically and mentally.  Big hugs and listen to yourself - there’s no right or wrong in this cancer journey so just do whatever feels right.

wishing you the best of luck.

Hi coffeandcake
There’s no right or wrong when it comes to work…so don’t feel you have to do one or the other.

I worked from home while I was waiting for treatment to start…but had a really supportive manager who said ‘ log on if you feel up to it…switch off if you don’t’ …so my first official sick day was the day of surgery… i then stayed off until after radiotherapy 8.5 months later…this was right for me…I get 12 months sick pay…but went back because I worry that I may need further sick time and won’t have any left…I went back on a 2 month phased return …and I will remain working from home until 2022 following a risk assessment done by work…for me this is great as it’s far more restful and less stressful at home.  Some people work through all treatments…and that’s right for them.

take good care

@coffeeandcake  

I’ve only been on this journey for a short time too. Diagnosed 7th April.

Starting chemo on Wednesday then surgery then radiotherapy and hormone treatment long term. 

I’m 46 with older kids, a fantastic husband and wider family so very lucky.

Waiting is hard, now I have my plan…just like everyone on here told me I would…I feel better and somewhat in control.

I am still very scared…of everything really…but I’m also very determined to fight this and win. 

You are strong and just like all of us given this challenge …you will fight. Top and bottom of it is that we have little choice but to fight.

Please keep in touch and talk on here…the others are amazing and so positive :sparkling_heart:

Take care xxx

Hi

first time posting for me as I was diagnosed on 8 April and will go to find out plan of action this Friday (30th). I have worked at home for a year with Covid and have been grateful to have work to focus on. The last few weeks has been tough waiting but work has been the distraction I needed.  Wouldn’t ever agree you live to work but I needed it. I haven’t told family about the diagnosis and few work colleagues know with my theory being I will tell them when I can follow up with this is the plan of action. 

there is no right or wrong - do what’s right for you and be kind to yourself. 

take care