Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed

18 REPLIES 18
Community Champion

Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi ladies,

Sorry I have not been in the site for a few days, home schooling is keeping me more than busy 😝 

Felinefriendly, your bald head looks fab. Nice and neat and cute. You also look glowing too which is more than I can say for me! I would like to highlight that I always look like that without make up. Treatment is not that bad 😝 

Julie, well done for getting through your first chemo. I’m glad it did not go too bad. Take your time, listen to your body, be good to yourself and rest when you need to. One down and getting closer to the end already! You got this!

penny 18, I know it is easy for me to say, but stay calm, you can do this! You are in good hands and although the side effects of chemo can be bad, not everyone reacts and not all at once. I have to admit it can make you feel tired and sicky, but it is completely doable. Make sure you have a thermometer ready and if ever your temp goes above 37.5 ring the rapid response line. They will give you a card with the number on. If you feel poorly or not yourself for any reason ring your unit or the nurses on here and get it checked out. I was always on the phone. Remember you have cancer, all medical staff will understand you are being cautious no matter how big or small the problem. The lovely people on this site will also guide you through. Before you know it you will be out the other side and reassuring someone newly diagnosed. If you need me I’m here.

Edda, well done you for accepting the mammogram invite. I am so pleased they caught it early and you have to have  minimal treatment. Let us know how you go in your journey.

Lots of love ❤️ Tara xx

Hi 

I also was told I’m Her2 positive just two weeks before Christmas and told it’s 4cm .I’m starting my 6 months of chemotherapy on the 20th of jan absolutely terrified with the list of side effects that were read out to me.  My letter says I’m in the hospital for 10 days then in the day after, obviously the hair loss is stressing me out so much.   I have a wig lady from the hospital on board already speaking to me who seems so lovely 

Just got to now start this journey 

x

Thanks Tara 

First treatment yesterday went well, I’m not sure what I imagined it would be like. Head is feeling itchy, as are eyes and nose. No feeling sick, yet. (Hopefully not.) But they have given me more steroids to take today. 

Sending you love and best wishes xx

Hi, thank you for the photo, I had my first treatment yesterday. My head feels itchy and tingly, as does my nose ( presume that’s because of the hair there also) I did decide to cut my hair with a little help from my husband although he was a little reluctant, which I can understand. I’ve just found the steroids to be horrid, I feel tired but feel like I’ve got so much energy too, 😩 but last one today till my second cycle. 
I love your egghead, much love to you x

IMG_20201118_170744_704.jpg

 i had long hair before this

I cut mine myself with scissors put it in a pony tale and hacked it off best i could to above photo i used clippers for the sides

Then went through stage of my head tingling and hurting and itching  and fuzzy bits coming out 

So got my son to use clippers and shave it all off 

For me this felt better as i didnt want to see ling pieces of hair coming out 

Practically was easier for washing as well then can put aveeno on my head too.

Now i look like an egg head 

Snapchat-545682450.jpg

Community Champion

310678D1-654C-4DCE-81D6-D900B33FCB24.jpeg

 Hair before chemo

image.jpg

Hair now

Sorry ladies have had to continue my post here as not enough space 😝 

I agree that the sickness on chemo is not too bad. I was fortunate not to actually be sick but have swollen a lot from the steroids that prevented this. I found the injections not too bad either, just had a bit of tummy ache afterwards. I found taking the injection out of the fridge half an hour before administering it stopped the sting a little. I’m glad you are not finding things too bad Belindafleur! I wore makeup to chemo, struggled with mascara at the end when eyelashes had gone, but always had the lippy on! I no longer bothered to wear it around my loved ones at home, but it made me feel better to make an effort when I went to the hospital.

When I have my uplift, that should be me done in terms of treatment for cancer. Like I have said before it is a shock when you get diagnosed, but completely doable. Before you know it you will be there at the finish line, it is a relief but also a moment to be proud of. Strength, determination and support from Family, friends and others on

1C9544D3-8868-4940-BE1C-43E4CA475DA3.jpeg

Hair almost all gone in middle of chemo.

this site will help you to dance on through.

Good luck with your treatment this week Julie. I will virtually hold your hand. You have got this.

Hope these posts have been of some help and reassured you a little.

Lots of love ❤️ Tara xx

Cold cap worked for me kept about 70 per cent of hair persevere, !

Community Champion

1779BDCA-2977-4926-8051-E8F06993D1B3.jpeg

Hello Everyone,

Julie, in response to your question about hair loss, I didn’t cold cap as I did not want to be any longer at the hospital than I needed to be. I was told by a chemo nurse that had triple negative breast cancer herself over 10 years ago that I would loose my hair pretty quickly and a friend I made whilst having chemo said that it would be during my second cycle. She had been battling cancer for 13 years, so had experience of different chemo treatments. As it was my hair started coming out on day 12 after my first treatment. I went in the shower and handfuls of it were coming out, surprisingly I did not feel upset, I think because I had expected it. By lunch time of that day it was shedding all over me and dropping on the carpet. The kids were picking it up. It was a hot day as I started my chemo in June. The hair was sticking to my hot face, I could not brush it away as it was falling out so decided to take control and asked my husband to shave it off. He was reluctant at first as he did not want to make me upset or cry. I told him if he did not do it I would cry. I involved my children in the shaving of my head. It was cut to a grade 3. The picture at the top shows you how it looked when shaved.

As more hair came out, my best friend and my hair dresses cut it down to 0.5. My head was a little sore at this point so I used coconut oil. I washed my head in baby shampoo each day and continue to do so and then applied coconut oil.

My hair before treatment was bobbed to just above my shoulders, because of lockdown it had grown to my shoulders I will add a picture of this to show you.

I will also add one of when it had almost completely gone and what it is like today as it is growing back really fast. I can honestly say that when it came out I did not feel as bad as I had expected. I never wore my wig in the house and only wore it to chemo once. I found it gave me a headache whilst having treatment. I got a cap for when family came to sit in the garden with me through the summer so that I did not get sunburn.

My main concern whilst going through chemo was the marks that appeared on my teeth from the mouthwash I used. I always take pride in my teeth and have only ever needed a scale and polish, no fillings or other treatment. This was remedied by speaking to my dentist on the phone who prescribed a tooth paste and mouthwash that was kinder. I would recommend anyone going through chemo speak to their dentist. I could not get a check up beforehand because of lock down, I presume it’s the same now, but they should still be able to prescribe things to help.

Belindafleur, in response to the question about nails, I cut mine down short and applied a standard water based nail varnish. I painted a clear nail strengthening top coat on top. I chose hot pink and deep purple as I had been told that the chemo can discolour your nails. I used the same on my toes and applied Nivea moisturiser to both. As it was I had not problems with my nails going through treatment,  however a month after finishing radiotherapy I noticed that my nails have gone a yellowish colour. It reminds me of the nails of people that smoke roll up cigarettes. They are quite brittle, have ridges on them and peel away easily. There is always a new nail underneath. They are not painful and its not like loosing a nail as you would imagine. If you have ever had nail extensions it is like when they are removed and your nails feel thinner, but there is another nail there. It’s hard to explain, but not bad or painful at all. I have had shellac painted on mine for Christmas and this has helped keep them stronger. My toe nails are as strong as ever. No problems there.

Community Champion

Hi Julie - I know you addressed your question about hair loss to Tara, and I’m sure she’ll be along too, but I just wanted to share what I did as I totally understand how you are feeling. I had chemo, followed by surgery and then radiotherapy about 3.5 years ago - so happy to answer any questions if I can help.

I tried the cold cap for 2 sessions, but it didn’t really work for me and I lost hair, mostly on top of my head so I had a rather odd look then! After that I didn’t cut my hair short until after I had finished all my chemo. I managed to keep some of it, mostly the lower hair so that it still looked like I had hair when I was wearing my head scarves (if that makes any sense). The reason for telling you what I did is to say that it is very personal how you deal with hair loss, there is no right way, just whatever works for you. 

I wish you all the best and hope chemo is kind to you. Sending hugs and strength, take one day at a time and use this forum to support yourself. Evie xx

Hi Tara, thanks so much for coming over to join us newbies, it's lovely to hear from those with more experience, and any top tips for getting thru treatment much appreciated. 

So far, I'm doing well, tiny bit of sickness but it's so well controlled by the pills isn't it. Did first immunity injection last night and felt bit woozy today with it but it's just meant I've had to properly chill today and do nothing but watch films which has been nice. 

I'm doing the cold cap but also have terrible anxiety about hair loss. Did you take anything special for nails or skin at all too? 

How are you doing now? You must be pleased to have surgery planned, will that be your treatment done after? Wonderful! 

Head is indeed held high. Almost put lippy on for hospital....next time! Thanks so much for kind support Xx 

Hi Julie, 

Yes, had first EC last Wed and so far so good. Was expecting the worst and all the side effects but pills keeping nausea under wraps, feeling lazy so not doing much, but could too if needed to, think I'm still on Xmas lazing and eating mode. 

Brill luck for the 7th ~ I was anxious but very much put at ease and relaxed a lot even when there, put my feet up! 

do hope you're managing all the appointments, there's so many aren't there! X

Hi Belinda 

I’m okay, I start chemotherapy on Thursday 7th. How are you doing ?

Yes I did manage to have a nice couple of days. Since then it’s all the appointments etc, I’m pleased to be starting the chemo ( can’t believe I’m saying that) Have you already started.?

I’m hoping I’m going to be okay with it.

julie x

Hi tara

I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a question about chemotherapy? 
I am due to start my first one this week. 
I just really wanted to ask about hair loss. The doctors have said it will be after the first treatment. I was thinking of cutting my hair short as at the moment it is shoulder length. I’m feeling emotional about this especially with no hairdressers at the moment. I would like to have some control over this part as much as I can. Could I ask you what your experience was. ?

I would be very grateful.

Thanks. Julie x

Community Champion

Hello ladies,

just wanted to pop in and say hi. My name is Tara, I am 37 and was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer in March this year. I had to have surgery first due to Covid, ( therapeutic mammoplasty, which is a lumpectomy with an uplift) then chemo and finally radiotherapy which finished on the 9th November. I am big chested (F cup) so will meet with my surgeon in April to set a date for  an uplift to my good side. Like others I would like to welcome you not to the club that no one wants to join, but to a place where you can meet some amazing people with sound advice that will become friends for life. We all have the same thing in common so can really get one another, hold onto each other and pull us through!

I found chemo to be a little unpleasant but completely doable. In fact I got through with minimal side effects, which I was completely grateful for especially with having two young children. If anyone would like further information on anything at all be it cancer related, family related or anything else please do ask away.

I wish you the best of luck with your chemo  Belinda Fleur. Hold  your head up high and imagine you have got your best dress on with killer heals and you will strut right on through. You got this!

Sending lots of love ❤️ and 🤗  

Tara x

Hi Julie, how are you doing? I too have been recently diagnosed with her2, triple positive. Had initially thought op then radiotherapy but the her2 moved it to chemo after op, now chemo before op, start next week. You're not alone. What did oncologist say? Thinking of you, hope you managed not to think too much today and had some kind of Xmas X

Community Champion

Hi juliedoc12 - you have had some lovely advice and a big welcome from Bernard and Pandabear, and I too would also like to welcome you and send a big hug to you. I’m really glad you found this lovely forum and hope you will find support and advice on here as you go through treatment.

Like Pandabear I am HER2 negative, but I did have chemo, plus surgery and radiotherapy so can try to help if you have any questions or concerns.

At the moment I’m sure you are feeling like you just got hit by a big truck that came out of nowhere. I think that you will find things easier once your treatment starts - I know it sounds bizarre, but at the moment you are in that place where you fear the unknown.

Sometimes it is so much easier to chat on here with people who have gone through it or are currently going through it - no explanation is needed, people just “get it”. I found this forum a real lifeline when I was going through my treatment. One of the many wonderful pieces of advice I received on here was to take one day at a time. I then read in a lovely book that “fears are NOT facts”, that’s also important to try to keep in mind.

So please do use all that is on offer on here - as Bernard says, there are lovely nurses you can call, or there is the Someone Like Me service where you can be matched with someone who went through what you are going through. If you have any other questions at all please ask.

My very best wishes to you as you start treatment, sending strength to you. Evie xx

Dear juliedoc12,

I would re-iterate what Bernard has said - a very warm welcome to the forum, although I know it is not necessarily the group you would want to be part of! I have not been on here very long, and everyone has been lovely and supportive.  I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.   

It is very early days for you, and it is quite normal to feel scared.  Have the doctors said to you what the plan is going forward? 

I found writing down my thoughts helpful - that can help you to identify what exactly it is that are your main issues of concern.  Lots of the ladies on here, can offer their experience and moral support to you.   

There is no right or wrong way to talk to family/friends.  People will react in all sorts of ways, some more helpful than others. But that is their problem, NOT yours.  It might be helpful to find out what support is on offer to you. Some people were good at the practical, eg shopping/taking to appointments, others were just "there" to listen, while I ranted/cried about having breast cancer.  Others were the people who talked about normal life things, and NOT cancer.  

Other forum members can comment on Her2 positive - mine was Her2 negative, but I did have to have surgery and radiotherapy.  I am now on tamoxifen.  

Anyway, big virtual hugs Julie.

Take care x 

Community Manager

Hi juliedoc12

I wanted to reach out and welcome you to our Forum. I hope you find the information and support you need on these boards.

We have information on diagnosis on this page - I hope it's helpful at this stage. Don't worry if you feel like there is a lot of information for you to take in at once. If there's anything that you feel you'd like more information about, or if you just want to chat, you can call our breast care nurses on freephone 0808 800 6000 to talk things through. The team is friendly, patient and entirely non-judgmental, so please don't think twice about calling.

Sending you our warmest wishes

Bernard 

Newly diagnosed

Hi

I have been diagnosed 2 weeks ago with HER2 positive. I had my first appointment yesterday with the oncologist, to say I am feeling scared is an understatement. Just really struggling at the moment and I am finding it hard to talk with family, close friends I think because I am thinking of them. Just thought it would be good to connect with people in a similar situation .thanks for reading . Julie x