Newly diagnosed

Hello everyone, 

I have been diagnosed with early breast cancer a few days ago.

I have just turned 40 and am in complete shock as i imagine everyone else when they find themselves in this position.

a couple of weeks ago I found a lump that was not that easy to find, but something made me check.

I am fortunate to have private healthcare with work so was able to get an app the next day with a breast consultant, he examined me and felt it was nothing sinister but wanted me to have a mammogram and an ultrasound to make sure. The mammogram came back clear however the ultrasound showed a lump that required a biopsy. 

The consultant has been nothing other than positive and said the lump is 1cm and the lymph node biopsy was clear. I am waiting for my lumpectomy in the next couple of weeks, I asked him what type of cancer it was however he said he didn’t know at this stage but looks like a common one whatever that meant.

Since my appointment I feel like I have been thrown out of a plane without a parachute! I have a 9 year old son and I feel so frightened about everything. I read the posts on here and everyone seems so strong, I know I’m very lucky to have caught it so early but I am struggling to get my head around everything xxx 

Hi

Its an awful thing to hear. I found my lump on 7th June and I’m having a lumpectomy on 10th August followed by chemo 6 weeks later.

Your consultant really should have told you what type of cancer it is as it will affect what type of treatment you have.

I have stage 2 lobular cancer and my cancer is fed by hormones (ER & HER2 positive) so that will effect my treatment in many years to come. My cancer doesn’t respond to chemo,  so I’m having surgery then chemo and radiotherapy to mop up any cancer afterwards.

I have a red folder that has lots of information in and my Breast Cancer Nurse wrote lots of info in it too.

Lou x

Hi tweenie

I am 45 and like you was in complete shock when I had my cancer diagnosis confirmed at the end of June, having always been in good health. One of the many worries is when you have dependents and the effect on them (I have 2 boys, 12 and 14yrs so life is already busy and challenging). Everyone else around you is carrying on as normal so it is easy to feel alone. I have found it really helpful in using this forum and giving each other strength. Take a step at a time. My first big hurdle (after biopsy and diagnosis hurdles) was the surgery I had this week. I was terrified before hand. Planning what the day would look like and what I would need helped and dealing with all the logistical stuff. Then breaking the day down (I was even nervous about the injection in the nuclear medicine appointment prior to the surgery) bit by bit. I feel fortunate that there is no spread to my nodes. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that they removed the lump with clear margins; I will find that out in a couple of weeks. Trying not to think about it yet though.

Best wishes to you xx

Hi Tweenie and welcome to the forum.

It is an utter shock and reading your post took me back 4 weeks ago in my life.

Bit by bit it will sink it. Just allow it to sink in. Cry, scream, get mad or whatever you need to feel to process the emotions. I found writing a blog really has been helping me and it keeps my friends and family updated as I couldn’t cope with lots of separate messages. Everything is just overwhelming.

robyn-may.blogspot.com/ 

In one of my posts I talk about reading women’s posts on forums supporting one another and they felt like cancer warriors to me, so strong. I was so new and scared and they were like “ah, it’s crap but doable”. But I’m learning that day by day you do accept what is happening and somehow, I don’t know how, you do get through each step.

Blessings to you and your family, Robyn x

Hi Tweenie, it’s all very scary and of course you’re entering into a “journey” which you didn’t choose to be on.  Just take it one step at a time.  You’ll get lots of support on here.  I was 48 at diagnosis with stage 3 ER/PR+ in 2017 and now doing well.  Things get a bit less anxious once you have a treatment plan and something is being done about it.  Best wishes with your treatment. X