Not coping

Hi

I went to clinic because of pain in my left breast, lump found and a biopsy taken.  They said that it is most certainly is cancer.  I am now waiting to see what the next step is.  I just can’t stop crying and feel that i am not going to be able to cope with the outcome and treatment.  I suffer from anxiety and depression and am in a right state.  How do people cope with this?

Hi Debi

Welcome to the forum. A place where we’d rather not be, but you will receive plenty of help and support here.

I certainly walked around in a daze for the first couple of weeks. It takes time to process. But once you receive your treatment plan, things will start to get more manageable. Some of the initial worry is the unknown. I, too, have problems with anxiety at times. But I am glad that my worry took me to the gp to get checked sooner rather than later. 

Try to take one step at a time. And one treatment at a time. And look after yourself as much as possible.

There are many of us here who have been through treatment and come out the other side…

Please come here as much as you wish, and there will be ladies who will help and support you along the way. 

Best wishes 

Sue x

Oh hun I do sympathise with you the anxiety and depression is worse than the actual situation your in. I have suffered for 20+ years with it and have always been on tablets which I accept.  Talk your fears out on here and take time for yourself if you can, rest when you need to as I know it makes you so tired. Be positive cos when you beat this you will become stronger for it. Please keep talking and write down your concerns so you stop going over it in your head. And it’s ok to cry. As soon as you have your plan it will be easier I’m sure as the not knowing is worse. Take care love xxxx

Hi Debi, your feelings are completely normal and will be up and down for a while.  It’s good to be positive when you can but sometimes the anxiety monsters come out with their worst case scenarios. Tell those anxiety monsters to roll up their scripts and put them away. I felt just the same 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with stage 3 locally advanced bc and after chemo, surgery and radiotherapy for almost a year, here I am and doing very well!  I know there’s little anyone can do or say to make those thoughts go away but just know you are never alone and can chat with others on here.  We understand.  Once you have a treatment plan you can chat with others currently on treatment in the “going through treatment” thread on this forum.  I found this really helpful.