cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oncotype DX test

5 REPLIES 5
ice_cc

Re: Oncotype DX test

Thank you! It's good to know it gets easier. I had a real wobble this morning, but nothing that a trip to the zoo and ice cream didn't fix Smiley Happy x

Mumoftwo

Hi Caroline, I had the Oncotype test done a couple of years ago.

As some of the others have said, its for er+, her2-, node negative stage 1, size wise I think its a tumour less than 2cm. My result came back at 28 which was high end of intermediate, but it also came back as er- which was odd as pathology reported I was er+, therefore pathology at The Marsden retested the er status and it was definately strongly positive. The false negative result may therefore have raised my score. Anyway, I didn't have chemo, just radiotherapy.  Waiting for the oncotyoe result was my low point in the whole journey - not knowing whats going to happen and feeling constantly in limbo was really hard to cope with. I'm usually a very positive person but it just floored me.  

I'm now two and a half years on and whilst I do still think about it, it's not nearly as often as it was in those early days.  

I hope it all goes well for you xx

ice_cc

Thanks both.

I didn't sleep last night (or much at all in the past few weeks) so I think it's making me more grumpy about it all than I need to be, haha.

I'll write down all my questions so I can go through them when I eventually meet with the oncologist.

Caroline x
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Caroline,

I think we've all had times when everything has just gone round & round in our heads.

This is the link HERE about the DX test on the bcc main site. It's usually for those with stage 1 or 2, node negative, er+ bc, although there can be exceptions & as Loo says, the Oncologist may order the test, as they are the ones dealing with the chemo/radiotherapy side of things. Hopefully, one of the other ladies who've had the test will be along to advise.

It can help in the early days to take it all a stage at a time & try not to get into the 'what ifs' beyond the next appointment. The issue on follow-up can be dealt with later, when you're through treatment.

Sending hugs

ann x

Loolarch

My surgeon referred me to an oncologist to discuss  Oncotype Dx test. I think the test can only be ordered by an oncologist and not a surgeon. I understand the criteria are that your tumour is invasive, ER positive, HER negative and lymph nodes negative. Not sure about age criteria though. Hope that helps?

ice_cc

Oncotype DX test

Hi ladies,

Just wondering who suggested the oncotype DX test for those of you who have had it? It wasn't suggested by my breast surgeon/consultant, but she did tell me that oncology may still want me to have chemo because of my age, despite being node negative. But what's the point in chemo if there's a chance it won't be effective? I asked my breast care nurse about the test and she didn't know much about it (and also thought it was mainly for older women who are HER2 positive!). I don't have an appointment to see oncology yet, and I'm starting to consider going private if things don't become a bit more transparent with my treatment...

The surgeon also told me that my yearly follow up screenings would take the form of mammograms, but the protocol is MRI for women my age because mammograms have been shown to be much less effective. The consultant just dismissed it when I asked about it. Also starting to worry that my other breast wasn't examined at all with MRI (or anything else) prior to surgery. Argh my head is all over the place today... Can't stop thinking about it. 😢

Caroline xx