Thanks all! Looks like I might be paying then. I'm currently having neoadjuvant chemo, and if there's residual cancer in the breast when I have the mastectomy, there's a possible option to do a round of oral chemo after my surgery. It's not always clear though if that would be better, or if it would be better to go straight onto hormone treatment (for ER+). Id like to know more about my tumor to help me to decide. Maybe I can put this to my oncologist, though my understanding is NHS usually only approves oncotype to decide at the very beginning if you need chemo or not...Incidentally, do you know if the sample they sent to America was from the original biopsy? thanks!n
I didn’t pay for my oncotype but was offered it. Some Nhs hospitals are funded for this and yes as-my surgeon informed me it does cost 2k plus and part of the tumour is sent of to California for 3 weeks. Might be worth having a word with your surgeon/oncologist. I was offered this at my first appointment after surgery. Results were pretty low and rads and hormones tabs it was as would not benefit from chemo. I am sure your meds team will be able to advise. Hope all has/is going well for you. 💓
i would say speak to your oncologist first. Some of these tests have strict criteria. I joined the Optima trial that uses the Prosigna test. As this was a blind trial only half the ladies get tested. With this in mind I contacted the Marsden to see how much the test would be privately. They quoted me £2000-£4000 and said I would need a referral from my oncologist. However I know, for the trial, that the test had to be done within 8 weeks of surgery. I did join the trial and my tumour was tested and the results showed that I would benefit from hormone treatment so I went straight to radiotherapy
I hope this information is of a little help to you. Michele
I was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly 3 months ago. They originally had be as inflammatory breast cancer (IDC, ER 8/8, PR 8/8, Her2-, Grade 3) as I had redness and swelling around the tumor. They then downgraded it and said I just had irritated skin (?!). However, by then they had already booked me in for neoajduvant chemo (the protocol for IBC) and we never discussed any other options so I started chemo on March 23, which will be followed by surgery and radiation.
This means we never discussed me having an Oncotype or similar test to just my benefit from chemo and risk of recurrence. I would really like one of these tests, as although the NHS only uses them to test for benefit of chemo, they actually give you a lot of other useful information that informations treatment. I know you can pay separately for these tests in America.
My question is - has anyone paid for a genetic assay test like Oncotype, Mammaprint, Prosgina, Endopredict, etc? Did you organize it through your oncologist? Any advice much appreciated