Operation

Hi 

I’m new on here.

Been diagnosed with cancer (again) after it being picked up on mammogram on 1st March and because its the second time in the same breast the Consultant has recommended mastectomy this time. 

So my op is on Friday morning. I decided on mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with skin tissue etc from stomach and a reduction in other breast. They said probably approximately 7 hour op so I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance from anybody on here whose had the same op as I’m starting to get jittery! Try not to think about it too much but by doing that I think of nothing else

I have had a diep reconstruction that took part of my tum to make a breast after a mastectomy. I had breast cancer in the left breast in 2003, with radiotherapy. It came back last year, new primary which is why I had a mastectomy and a reconstruction rather than conservation which you can only have once if you had radiotherapy. It took me quite a while to get fit after the op. I made sure I did all the exercises. I was given six or seven sets of exercises to do every day to get me back to fitness and heal the areas better. I had to gradually creep my arm up the wall to stretch the area under my left arm. I also had exercised on the tum area to stretch the area in a slow way. 

I felt pretty exhausted after surgery but I was in intensive care for a night or two and I was looked after very well indeed. I hope your surgery goes well too. Mine was on 8 Sept 2022, the day the poor Queen died. RIP

Seagulls