Overwhelmed

Hello all, I was diagnosed last week with bc….3cm, hormonal, lymph nodes clear……was told probably mastectomy and then hormone meds, I felt I could cope with that diagnosis as I had experienced the same 26 years ago!..…However, I was also told I would need CT scan because of my past diagnosis. I had the scan today and am now totally overwhelmed with horrible negative thoughts, can’t shake the thought that I am riddled with ‘it’…… I feel pathetic and weak after feeling so positive this time last week. My family ( husband and 2 grownup children ) were beginning to feel at ease with the diagnosis and now I feel I will drag them all down with my negativity. Any coping suggestions gratefully received!

wishing you all well x

Ahh … tricky. 
Maybe try to shut off your thoughts/worries until you have concrete details.  Easier said than done.  I’m sure your family will understand your wobble.

My only helpful suggestion is yoga… particularly the breathing exercises.  Maybe try Adriene on you tube.  She has a good anxiety one.

Wishing you all the very best.

Hi @Mrsmillie  

I am sorry you feel overwhelmed with these thoughts.

I found this link about managing stress and anxiety which may be useful, and this link about coping emotionally too.

We know that speaking to people who understand is often helpful, so if you ever feel like speaking to someone on our breast care team, one of our nurses will be happy to chat to you. You can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm).

Sending positive vibes your way

Bernard

Hello Mrsmillie, I know, it’s hard to not feel negative, but please try to worry less about dragging your family down. Perhaps, asking them for some things they could do, even daft things like singing to you, to help YOU cope, or practical things, that some people find easier, like shopping for a little bit of your favourite treat, or hubby hanging out the washing.

i had my first diagnosis in 1994. Two days ago, on Monday, I had my post op check up for my mastectomy surgery late May. New primaries, 28mm grade 3 invasive and high level non invasive, totalling 97mm, mastectomy was the only choice. 6 lymph nodes removed, all clear, ER+, HER2-. Now waiting for referral to oncology to discuss chemo, RT, anastrazole and biphosphonates… and the genomics testing to gauge level of recurrence and benefits of chemo.

i wasn’t told about any CT scan, but do remember having a bone scan the last time. I think it’s to double check and should be a reassuring process, especially with clear lymph nodes. My surgeon told me that the clear lymph nodes were a really good indicator that it hadn’t spread, so I hope this can help you feel less negative. I feel that, if it hasn’t got past that sentinel node, then somehow, I couldn’t be riddled with it. Perhaps the scan is just to check your bone density. If post menopausal, could be biphosphonates prescribed, to help prevent spread to bones.

perhaps you could call your bcn, to have a chat about your worries. They would be happy just to talk with you, to reassure you, help you cope a bit.

wishing you all the best, sharlea, xx

Hi Mrsmillie - I’m really sorry to read about your second diagnosis and how you are feeling, so first of all I wanted to send you a big hug. I’m not sure what I can add to the wonderful advice you have already received, but one book I have found very helpful is “The Cancer Survivor’s Companion” by Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins - it reminds us that fears are NOT facts. I think most people can relate to letting our minds race ahead and fearing the worst, I know I do even if I advise others not to!

I particularly agree with @sharlea  comment about it taking a strong person to ask for help, and a stronger one to admit to feeling overwhelmed. What very lovely and true words.

I love that on this forum everyone can be themselves, it’s a safe and non judgmental place where no explanation is ever needed. We are all here to hold each other’s hands and support each other.

Evie xx