Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing questions for nurse

5 REPLIES 5
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Preparing questions for nurse

Do ring the number on here and speak to one of the nurses they could help you prepare questions for your appointment do take a notebook and write answers down too, it’s a lot to remember otherwise at least with notes you can refer back to them 💕💕Shi xx

Rudy1

Thank you for taking time to reply and share your experience, it really does help. 

I have been told I’ll be having the radio(something) dye the day before the op for the node investigated during the op and have been told that I’ll likely have some removed during the op. Lots of questions to ask Tuesday to help get my head around things and get prepared. 

Thank you x

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rudy1 ❤️ Take it one step at a time, things can change and treatments plan can change just like that, remember your team have seen it all before and your treatments are specifically tailored to you, so day by day you just give it your best shot. Do find mountain lion by strawberry blonde in hope and inspiration 💕it’s helped lots of us over the years. My biopsy said grade 2 but after the op it was grade 3 as it was tnbc. Are they checking your nodes in the op too? If you are having the dye injected it can turn your skin blue for a bit afterwards and your wee blue, so just to let you know if you are having that. Some anosol for after the op in your overnight bag too the anaesthetic can block you up, also some of those medical alcohol wipes if you feel nauseous after op stick that under your nose and breathe in, the nurse did that to me after I said I felt sick few hours after I’d come round and it sorted it out straight away and didn’t feel nauseous after that. Good to hear you won’t be having drain, so do ask about seroma that may happen post op and what your team want you to do if that happens ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Rudy1

Thank you so much for you reply!

My sister is amazingly supportive. She is taking over hospital prep and has zip front support bras and button pjs already for me which is amazing because I’m really struggling.

It’s only been a week so still waiting for full biopsy results but have said if everything goes to plan and no chemo it will be day surgery and no drain. 

They said grade 2/3 but I’ll make sure I ask more about how that changes with the full results (or is it after the op the grade it more firmly? I don’t know, it’s all so confusing!) I’ll make sure I ask about the nodes though and definitely will be packing slippers and dressing gown. Thank you! 

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rudy1 ❤️ Sorry you find yourself on here ❤️ Glad you have reached out to Breast Cancer Now 👭 questions you want to ask depends on how much you feel you want to know or don’t want to know, everyone is different some want full in-depth answers to questions such as grade, stage, what’s treatment plan while others don’t ask any questions and leave everything in the hands of their team. Do find out if you are going to have a drain or drains after the operation, these are tubes with bottles you could have post operation for a few days after, get button front pyjamas and for post op bra the M&S zip front one with racer back was good because it didn’t rub where they investigated the node involvement, so do ask what plan is for node investigation too. Take a pair of slides and dressing gown to hospital too ❤️ Do keep asking away, others will be along to offer support too ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Rudy1

Preparing questions for nurse

I was diagnosed Monday with Ductal breast cancer and struggling to get my head around it. Mammogram Tuesday showed that it’s only the one lump so that’s positive. 
Booked in for an op next month while waiting for her2 receptor to come back to decide if chemo is needed before op. 

I’m trying my best to stop being overwhelmed by absolutely everything, but still be prepared so putting a list of questions together to ask the nurse next week. 

Is there anything you wish you asked or knew in the first few weeks? Or any advice for how to cope with feeling so overwhelmed?

Thank you