Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherapy after good news

7 REPLIES 7
Tili

Re: Radiotherapy after good news

Dear Mermaid,

Having just read Evie reply to you, my road was almost the same, 14 months ago, take Evie advice when you can if you are offered a lift….accept it, you will get a bit tired as the session go along. Also lots of moisturiser (good old fashion Zinc and Caster Oil) is very soothing. 
Lots of love and a big hug….make yourself the most important person around as you deserve it. Tili 🌈🙏

Mermaid79

Hi Evie,

thank you for the info! Funnily enough I have just spoken to my radiologist (very quick but they had a cancellation) and she pretty much said all of the same. A lot to take in at the moment. I will now have 20 sessions and they are treating the lymph nodes in my neck too! The last 5 will be just to where the lump was. She thinks I will start treatment around the 12th July but will know more after my CT appointment. 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mermaid79 - your drink at the weekend will definitely taste even better! I too had 15 sessions of radiotherapy, about 4 years ago now so things might be slightly different, but I’ll try to explain what happened in mine. I started with a planning session, where I had 3 tattoos done, tiny blue dots, so that they can line up the machine each day - but not all hospitals do this. The 15 sessions are very short, it seems to take longer to undress and put on your hospital gown, than the session itself. You will lie on a bed thing with the machine above you and need to hold your arm above your head, so it is out of the way - the bed/machine has a special place to put your arm. Then the radiation is delivered and off you go. I would say the most tiring thing was having to go every day - most days someone drove me, so do accept any lifts if offered. Make sure you drink plenty of water and rest. Keep your skin moisturised after each session - each hospital likes to dictate their own moisturiser, but I liked Aveeno best. I seem to think you aren’t supposed to wear deodorants to the session, and also no moisturiser during the session, but do check that. It can be like sunburn, the effects keep going for a couple of weeks afterwards so keep moisturising afterwards too. Thankfully I didn’t have any skin problems, but some people do - there doesn’t seem to be any reason either way. I didn’t work during radiotherapy - but again it’s a very personal decision, I wasn’t ready after surgery and chemo, but see how you feel. It is a very good idea to try to get back to some sort of normality, especially after the Covid year we have had too.

I’ve also been on Tamoxifen for 4 years, thankfully all ok with that. My tip would be to try to get the same brand each time, some GPs will prescribe the same brand and others won’t (for some reason). Some people notice a difference with the different brands so if one doesn’t suit you then another may work. I have Wockhardt 20mg now, I used to have Teva but they don’t seem to be making it at the moment from what I hear. I take mine at night in the hope I will sleep through any side effects, but others prefer the morning. One thing they don’t tell you in the leaflet, don’t eat grapefruit as it interferes with Tamoxifen.

Sorry, that was a bit of an essay! All the very best to you, I hope it feels good getting back to work and that you don’t get any side effects from radiotherapy or Tamoxifen. Evie xx

Mermaid79

Thank you Tili, 

it is a huge relief to know I won’t be going through months of invasive treatment. Not sure what to expect from radiotherapy though. Did you have any other side effects other than tiredness? How long does each session take? 

Hope you are doing ok with everything.

Best Wishes xx

Mermaid79

Thank you! Not sure what to expect now. At least I can switch off a bit for a couple of weeks, without the worry of awaiting results. Definately be having a drink at the weekend whilst I can! Did you work at all during your radiotherapy? Planning on going back whilst I wait for my appointment to come through as been off since April when had first surgery so keen to get back to normality for a while. 

How are you getting on with things? 

Best Wishes xx

Evie-S
Community Champion

@Mermaid79 - that’s really good news. I too wanted to wish you all the best for your radiotherapy. Do ask if you have any questions about it or Tamoxifen. Evie xx

Tili

Dear Mermaid,

so pleased you have had a good results, had radiotherapy myself like you 15 sessions can make you a bit tired 😴 so look after yourself lots of TLC, take one day at a time. Wishing you and all the other lovely ladies health and happiness.

Well done brave lady, hugs Tili 🌈🙏

Mermaid79

Radiotherapy after good news

I had the results of my axillary lymph node removal and oncotype dx test today. After weeks of fearing the worst I got the best news.... all 9 nodes were clear and a very low dx score of 5! Which means no chemo and only 3 weeks of radiotherapy followed by tamoxifen. Just awaiting appointment for meeting to discuss the plan of action and CT scan. My breast care team were so lovely throughout and always felt I could contact them. 

Sending best of luck wishes to all those waiting for results; starting or going through treatment or going for surgery in the next few weeks xx