cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received my diagnosis last night...

15 REPLIES 15
Lunatic21

Re: Received my diagnosis last night...

I finally got my surgery date! April 21st I'll have the lumpectomy and sentinel node removal.  I have been transferred to a private hospital as the nhs try to reduce the waiting list so I have a new consultant to meet in a couple of weeks.  

How do people cope after surgery? When will I be able to go back to work? I'm struggling with my mental health and fatigue at the moment and have been on a 4 day rather than 5 day week at school... teaching is exhausting at the minute!

Lunatic21

Good news at last...... the calcification lump removed has come back benign,  what a relief.  

This means I am now on the waiting list for a lumpectomy on the right breast to removed the cancer.  Consultant thinks he can do a reconstruction type by moving tissue around at the sane time to fill the gap! He'll take lymph nodes too as they seemed fine in the scans but obviously need checked.  

Unfortunately the wait for surgery is unknown due to #covid cancellations.  Anyone here in Leicestershire awaiting surgery?

Teagold

Hi Lunatic,

so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but hope that you are finding this group comforting as I know I really do, it’s been a lifeline these past two weeks since I found out about my breast cancer (feels like a decade rather than two weeks!).

Just wanted to reply about the tiredness thing - I felt completely drained and just plain weird in that first week or ten days, especially whilst still going for other scans and tests and stuff. Also felt twitchy and trembly and convinced myself that every little symptom was a bad sign. One of my eyelids was twitching so badly I could hardly see, and that’s stopped now. I think we are just under exceptional stress and anxiety and this is how we respond. I actually feel a bit better since starting treatment, at least for now.

Are you still waiting on test results? Hope you’re getting the clarity you need or will do soon. Big hugs in the meantime.

tg xxx 

Kiti

I was just recently diagnosed as well. Trying to come to terms with what this all means. I will keep you in mind as you move ahead. God bless

Bellel

Hello Lunatic,I hope you feel much better right now.I am sorry to see you writing here.I just want to share with you about my experience too.I hope it will help you to understand your side situation.I also diagnose invasive ductal carcinoma last Sept Grade2 ER+HER2-.Due to COVID all my test was being delayed and all the results too.Last jan.I had my lumpectomy surgery but unluckily I didn't have clean margin.I also had Sentinel Node 3 of my nodes was taken out and 1 of them wasn"t good.It reached there they've found 2.5 mm tumor.Unfortunately I am now waiting for my re excision,yesterday I had my pre op mamogramh the radiologist said no signs of calcification  but the harsh fact when you are dealing with cancer cells in which can be seen only in microscope.I hope and pray that I will have clean margin at this 2nd excision.I am relieved when I realized that my HER2- but the sad thing was the cancer cell reached to one of my node.That will probably change my treatment program.My condition is not that simple because I am also dealing with my uterine fibroids.But what all the girls mostly say one step at a time and be more optimistic nothing we can do more.I hope that we can benefits from these advance technology treatment.Making decision  is very crucial and confusing.Our case is like mostly the same but your treatment is different from mind.

I wish you good luck try to make yourself relax do things that you love.Nature is my remedy so I am always in outdoor activity while waiting for my 2nd surgery. Of course most of all prayers!lastly,consider  my inappropriate grammar mistake:) Virtual hugs

Bellel

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Lunatic21 - I’ve just read this post and your last, and I’m not surprised that you are really tired after all you have been through and continue to go through. I don’t know anything about vacuum biopsies and removal of calcification but I hope you get a clear result. And I hope you are able to take time to look after yourself, I know from your first message that you have a very busy life.

I’m sure someone will be along to answer your question soon. Hugs, Evie xx

Lunatic21

Today I had a vacuum biopsy to remove the calcification on the other breast.  Really hoping for the results to say only 1 occurrence of cancer xxx

Anyone else having issues in both breasts?

Been a long 2.5 wks of testing.  2 different biopsies,  so many mammograms including an enhanced one on Monday!

Lunatic21

Today I have started in Tamoxifen.....

Seems strange and surreal.  

Next week I have enhanced mammogram on the extra area on the right then a vacuum biopsy on the right to remove the clump of calcification.  

Not looking forward to more boob bruising 😥

I'm also really tired.. any one else had this without actually starting treatments? Why? 

Hope213

Hiya,

I don't mind at all letting people know. I found 1 lump near my collar bone which was 2cm. An ultrasound found another which was smaller but then my consultant decided to do a breast MRI scan just to double check and a tiny third one was found! I was told that mammograms don't always show everything in younger women due to under 50s having dense breast tissue. 

When they thought I had 2 tumours the plan was a lumpectomy x2 plus radiotherapy. In the end, I had a mastectomy due to having 3 tumours. I had an oncotype DX test after the removal of my breast tissue which showed I wouldn't benefit from chemo. Hormone Therapy was highly recommended for me due to my cancer being highly oestrogen positive (8/8). So ive just started, last week, with Tamoxifen for 10 years and zoladex as I needed ovarian suppression. I will probably have my ovaries removed in the next 6 months. Once I'm definitely post menopausal I will have Letrozole.

The hormone therapy has been a minefield and a much more complicated process than I thought! 

X

Lunatic21

3 tumours,  wow..... how are you doing? What therapies are you receiving? 

Feel free not to answer as this is personal...

Hope213

Hello Lunatic21,

I’m sorry you find yourself writing on this forum due to your diagnosis. However I’m sure you will find it a great source of support and advice, I definitely have.

I am also 43 years old and I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer (3 tumours), grade 3, oestrogen positive in October 2020. I also have 2 sons, both early teens and I work in a school(Teaching Assistant)! I found I was in a whirlwind of information plus mamagrams, ultra sounds, biopsy’s, breast MRI scan all going on and all happening so quickly. So I appreciate it’s so much to take in at this point. 
I’m sending you many positive vibes, take care of yourself and if I can help with anything regarding your surgery/treatment let me know.

xxx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Lunatic21 - I don’t want to sound bossy, and everyone has their own way of dealing with this diagnosis - but I would recommend sticking to safe and reliable cancer sites, rather than general google searches when looking for info. Or come on here and ask questions. Like you say, Google really is a worm hole and you can end up scaring yourself. Dr Google doesn’t know your own individual diagnosis.

Generally speaking people don’t have too many issues with radiotherapy. From my own experience, it was just tiring having to go to hospital every day for 15 days, except weekends, rather than anything much else. So see if you can line up friends or family to drive you, even for some of the appointments. Though I have read that some people are being given 5 sessions now - treatments change and advance all the time.

Keep in touch and please ask any questions at all. Evie xx

Lunatic21

Thank so much for taking the time to reply.  I'm trying but to investigate to much a Google is a worm hole! But yesterday liked into radiotherapy a little.... not looking fun!

Hope I get some more info this week.  

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Lunatic21 - I’m really sorry to read about your diagnosis, and the wait for further results. The waiting really is hard isn’t it, but really glad that you have found this forum and hope that you will find lots of support as you go through treatment.

Your list of medical terms does make sense - all too soon you too will be an expert on terminology! I know you didn’t ask, but here’s a quick summary - you might want to look on BCN website for further info if you want it or you can ignore if you don’t want details, some people don’t. BCN explains the grades as how they compare to normal breast cells. Oestrogen positive means the cancer is fed by oestrogen and that you will probably be given a hormone drug, such as Tamoxifen, at the end of treatment. HER negative - means it doesn’t have a type of protein present (I think, I’m more confused about this one as mine also negative). IDC - stands for “Invasive ductal carcinoma”, the most common and means it started in the ducts.

Some people find it easier to chat on here than to family and friends, as people on here just “get it” without you having to explain. Please ask if I or others can help with any questions or if you just want to offload.

Very best wishes and hugs, Evie xx

jennie1021

Hi

I also had my diagnosis yesterday also grade 2 mines lobular cancer, also awaiting mri and surgery/ radiotherapy.

I just wanted to send a big virtual hug and to let you know someone else is also going on this rollercoaster of emotions, you’re not alone xx 

Lunatic21

Received my diagnosis last night...

Hi there,  

I'm 43 and last night had my diagnosis confirmed. Grade 2, Est. positive, HER 2 neg, IDC. (Hope that makes sense to someone!!)

Only found the small lump 2 weeks ago today,  had the mamagram and ultrasound then biopsy last Sat morning...25mm lump near right nipple, calcification concern on left.... needing more tests.  

Discussion last night was about drugs,  lumpectomy and radiotherapy rather than chemo.  Now the wait begins....

As a teacher,  with 16 and 22 son's, and a husband with PD and T1 Diabetes, my life is not to stressful so obviously totally needed something to do at the moment!!!!!

Looking forward to having others to talk too during the crazy time.