Recently diagnosed. Having mastectomy on Friday.

2nd October I got told that my core biopsies had shown I have breast cancer. Had my staging scans which were okay. I have lymph node involvement in the Axilla. Having a mastectomy on Friday morning. I used to be a nurse and still work in healthcare which is kind of a double edged sword!! 

Lost my husband to kidney cancer 8 years ago this Christmas so I’m on my own now. There were a lot of mess ups with his care and I’m having treatment at the same hospital. That worries me, the same might happen to me.  The team have been good so far. This is going to be a long week I think! 

Hi Drummerswidow,  welcome to the forum but sorry you find yourself here.  There probably isn’t much I can add to your knowledge as a nurse but, as a cancer survivor, I can offer a hug and my story which gives lots of useful advice for getting through treatment.  lifeafterlola.blogspot.com  I was diagnosed in March 2017 and went through the NHS system and everything went well.  I also had a large invasive tumour with lymph node involvement.  Im sorry also to hear about your husband and that you are going through this without him.  Do you have someone else close to you who can attend appointments with you?  I recommend you keep a note of everything, keep in close contact with your BCN and PALS if need be.   Once your treatment plan is underway you can chat with others going through the same on here on the “going through treatment” thread.  I found this very helpful. xx

Your hospital is moving quite fast from diagnosis to surgey so they are doing something right. All the best of luck, I am having surgery halfway November, I could have had it day before yours but I chose later date for work reasons. It would not compromise my prognosis. Now I regret it a bit as my nerves are getting the better of me. Take care and by the time I go in you will be well on your way to recovery.