Recently diagnosed & struggling with the decision of what type of surgery

I was diagnosed with bc last Wednesday.  It’s invasive ductal bc grade 3.  I have been told that I will need surgery, radiotherapy & chemo.  I’ve been referred to my local hospital & see the breast surgeon on Tuesday next week, but waiting is maybe the hardest part, along with the decision on how radical the surgery will be.  My mum died of breast cancer at the age of 37 and I do have a strong family history ( grandmother, auntie & cousin ), so am veering towards having a double mastectomy as my diagnosis confirmed a fear that’s always been there & I am worried that a lumpectomy won’t give me the peace of mind I need.  I think in my heart I have made the decision to have both breasts removed but it’s still a terrifying thought.  Until my next appointment i’m really not sure if they would do reconstructive surgery at the same time or later.  I’ve spent that last week feeling sick with a real heaviness in my chest.  It would be so much easier if someone just told me what to do!!!

Hi Jacqs,
Sorry to hear you’re joining us, but there is loads of support here, as well as others who have gone through something similar to your situation.
It is very difficult when first diagnosed, it usually is the most difficult stage, as it’s a shock & often further investigations are needs to get your treatment plan finalised. But, it does get better as you move on from this stage.
It will all become clearer & you’ll make any decisions you need to.
When you start treatment, do look at the ‘going through treatment’ board, where you will be able to chat & get support from others in a similar position to you.
Sending hugs
ann x

Hi Jacqs, sorry you find yourself here and are feeling overwhelmed with the tough decisions you have to make.  Just make sure that you have all of the information before you make your decision.  I’m now 18 month on since diagnosis and have been through the full regime which you are facing and am getting back on with normal life again.  Here’s my story which I hope you find some comfort from: lifeafterlola.blogspot.com/

Waiting for the treatment to start is a very anxious time but you can keep coming on here to ask any questions.  If you look at the “going through treatment” thread you can chat with others going through the same. Sending hugs. xx

Hi Jaqs, sorry you find yourself on here but we’ll help you along.  I was diagnosed on 11 april grade 2 ductal invasive.  I opted for single mastectomy no recon.  It’s a very difficult choice to make and one that only you can make.  My surgery was very straightforward, in theatre at 9am and home 3.30pm!  They took some nodes out at same time to test.  Ask your BCN as many questions as you can and write a list too, then take your time with the decision, you’ll know what feel s right.  It’s a scary time but you’ll get great information and hand holding on here.  I started chemo this week and the advise has been invaluable.  Take care, one step at a time is the best advice I can give, easier said than done. Hugs, Kip x

Hi Jacqs

It’s Emily here from Breast Cancer Care.

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re in this difficult situation. As Ann has said, you’ve come to the right place for support.

Some of our Breast Cancer Care telephone volunteers have needed to make a similar decision to you, both in terms of the question ‘should I have a preventative mastectomy’ and ‘what kind of reconstruction is best for me’?

If you’d like me to arrange for you to speak to anyone over the phone while you’re waiting for replies on here, feel free to drop me a direct message through the forum with your name and number, or you can call us on 0345 077 1893.

Wishing you all the best in the meantime. 

Emily at Breast Cancer Care

Hi Jacqs

i was diagnosed with g4 DCIS and after unsuccessful lumpectomies I had a mastectomy and a reconstruction.  My reconstruction wasn’t a success but that’s another story. I was told that as I was relatively fit and just under 60, a good weight etc to have the mx and recon at the same time.   I personally think this is the way to go if you are having implants or perhaps the back muscle LD transfer, as it’s all over and done with at one time.  I think it must be so hard to have the mx and then a few months later be faced with surgery again.  My journey has been rocky…but as for your decision I would have the recon if you are reasonably fit at the same time. It all depends on the type of recon that you are considering or being offered I guess.   Do keep messaging and get all the support you can and ask us questions. Much love.  Janco. 

Me again…

as for the decision as to whether to have the mx, all I can say is that when I heard the risks it was a no brainier, preventative all the way and take benefit from modern medicine, giving yourself the best chance. X 

Hello Kezza ,welcome to forum .Good luck with your op.Jill x