Recently diagnosed feeling anxious about next steps

Hi everyone, 

im Charlotte 34 3 small children and just recently been diagnosed 2 weeks. My surgery is in 10 days having a full left side mastectomy and a auxiliary node clearance. 

Having up and down down days.

The treatment plan still not decided as we need to wait for the result of the tests from the surgery. Having reconstruction at then same time and I’m just feeling anxious and nervous about the whole thing.

my family and friends support network have been amazing and my Breast cancer team are AMAZING and my consultant surgeon is fantastic I feel so confident and feel like I’m going kick cancers ass but I finding some days much harder. I can’t help look in the mirror and then down to my boob and whisper to myself “I have cancer”. 

Ive already had cancer 8 years ago so needless to say it totally sucks.

Wanted to reach out to people in the same situations as me 

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry you find yourself here, particularly as you had cancer previously.   There is a thread for younger ladies which you might find useful.

I had a mastectomy and ANC last year (no recon though) and I used to talk to my boob before it went.  Its a totally surreal situation, I still find myself shocked when I suddenly think “I had cancer”…its hard to get your head round.  Sounds like you have a really good team looking after you though and they will guide you along.   Its hard when you don’t know the full picture regarding treatment but I found it gets easier when you know whats what.  I had chemo and radiotherapy too, so have been through everything going!   I’m still here, fit and healthy and just had my first clear mammogram since this nightmare began.

Good luck with the surgery.

Kip

x

Hi Charlotte,

sorry that you find yourself on this site… always thought it would be other people this happened to and never me… think we all feel the same…

i had a full left side mastectomy and level 1 axilliary nodes removed on 16th April.  No reconstruction though.

recovery has been good but still find it hard to look at myself in the mirror.

it all takes time and we all handle things differently.  This is my second breast cancer, first was 2017.

i am Triple Negative…  tomorrow i start my first course of chemotherapy.

of course we have good n bad days its only natural.

sending good luck and BIG hugs to you… stay strong n positive… ??