Recently diagnosed with breast cancer but also have heart disease

I was called back from my last mammogram (I’m 66) and had repeat mammograms, ultrasound and biopsies. In the discussion afterwards the consultant told me even though they haven’t had the results yet he is confident I have breast cancer. He found a small lump the size of a large pea, although it cannot be felt when palpating.  I have an appointment on 18th for the results and the plan for treatment. He seemed to think I would need surgery and radiation treatment, possibly chemo too. He doesn’t think the cancer has spread to the nymph lodes yet and said he feels it is all very treatable.

I am in complete shock, as having had a heart attack 17 years ago, and suffering from chronic angina I have always felt that this was my health burden and that somehow that would protect me from cancer. Crazy I know. I am wondering if anyone else also has heart disease and if that has made any difference to how your cancer was treated and the eventual outcome.  I have eight weekly nerve blocks to help cope with the pain of angina, and am on a fairly high dose of morphine for this too.

I am finding all this very hard to come to terms with, and hope that once I know exactly what I am dealing with and what the treatment plan is, that I will then begin to feel more positive about it all. Right now I am struggling with depression and worry.

I forgot to say that I am terrified that my heart disease will make this battle to beat cancer even harder. I struggle with a lot of angina and am not very active or fit, which I’m guessing will put me at even more of a disadvantage.

I am feeling very low, and weepy. Any advice would be welcome.

I have breast cancer and diagnosed in November, surgery in late November, more surgery and chemo to come.

But I want to tell you about my mother. Many years ago she had a blot clot in the brain and was put on medication for life, later she had deep vein thrombosis and was put on further medication for life, then she had a pace maker installed. She is a walking chemist, six or so different types of tablets a day. In 2017 she had breast cancer. Unlike my case, her cancer had not spread. I am not sure how they did her lumpectomy with her pace maker and all the other medications but:

she is now 82 and still bossy, active and opinionated.

What I am trying to say is there is always hope and you never know the outcome.

Shelton