Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed with holiday due

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Recently diagnosed with holiday due

Gemmy, there is no right or wrong answer to this - all you can do is do what your gut and heart tell you and do what feels right for you. Unfortunately, although sometimes we want someone to give us instructions on what to do for the best, there is no 'best' and it is what feels right for the individual. At times, for many of us through treatment, after diagnosis, there are times where the decisions are left to us. I did cancel my holiday 3 years ago as it was when treatment was needed and I personally knew there was no chance of me enjoying it to its full potential with my mind on the BC diagnosis, but you are a different person and have different views and personality. We ended up doing the same holiday 12 months later 🐵 I also had to make decisions on chemo myself (as was borderline and there was no definitive right or wrong on it) and though it was tough my BCN advised that my decisions needed to be  psychological ones - take advice, do some research if you like, but ultimately do what you feel in the future you can easily 'live with'. By that I mean, would you regret choosing the holiday over starting treatment? If you wouldn't, then go for the holiday.

Highlighted

Gemmy83,

Mine was a mastectomy and sentinel node removal. 

My family, and a lot of my friends thought I was mad - I think they were so shocked by the diagnosis they wanted me in hospital the next day having it removed. I had been looking forward to the holiday for so long I just really wanted to go and felt I really needed it. They did offer me the chance to have the surgery before and go with my drains in place - I’m so glad I didn’t take that option.

your team are definitely the best ones to advise you, be guided by them and do what’s right for you 

take care xx Melanie 

Highlighted

Thank you both for your support. My consultant said it wasn’t ideal but he knew how much I wanted to go and said we can delay treatment until your back, so having the picc line done the day after I get home. I’m still torn as to what to do for the best, my mum says I should cancel the holiday and start treatment yet my dad said the holiday will do me good before it all starts. Going to speak with the Macmillan nurse tomorrow to see what she says. MrsG1962 what treatment were you starting when you came back. Mine is chemo which is why I’m torn as whether to have it first or not. xx

Highlighted

Hi Gemmy83

sorry you find yourself in this forum but you’ll get so much support, it’s definitely a club none of us want to be in but are all grateful we are.

I had the same dilemma, diagnosed 9 October but had a holiday to Disneyland Paris booked 29 November. I asked my consultants advice, told her I desperately wanted to go, she gave me her blessing. It did mean I breached the NHS guidelines for starting treatment but in my case she felt a holiday would do me good. 

Ask your our consultant and be guided by what they say. For me it was fabulous to work right up to my holiday, have a week away when I didn’t think about cancer and then come back and deal with it.

stay strong and take comfort from all the love and virtual hugs coming your way from everyone else in this forum xx

Highlighted

Hi

i was in a very similar situation about four weeks ago. Was diagnosed with breast cancer just two weeks before we were due to go on holiday. I felt the same as didn’t want to delay treatment but also felt we needed the break. In the end we listened to the consultant as they are the experienced ones who know best. They suggested we go away as two weeks would not make a lot of difference starting treatment and looking back I am glad we did as you need the break before treatment starts . I had surgery last Wednesday and am now recovering before I start chemotherapy. If the consultant says to go away then I would. Wishing you all the best. 

Xx

Highlighted

Recently diagnosed with holiday due

I’ve recently been diagnosed, I am due to go on holiday in 5 weeks time for a week. They said I can start the chemo once I’m back but not sure if I should cancel my holiday and start chemo earlier. Feel like I need a week of normality before it all starts but don’t want to delay anything either. Has anyone else been in this situation? Really torn as to what to do for the best really 😟