Recently diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma at 37

Hey everyone, I’m completely new to the forum (my breast care nurse signposted me to this forum this morning) and would like to introduce myself and say hi - and also see if there are any ladies out there who have been diagnosed quite early in life like I have.  I found a lump in my right breast where my bra wire goes back in April that was very painful around the time of my period and moveable as well. It was almost so low down I felt like it was moreso on my ribcage.  At this point I wasn’t overly concerned as I thought it may have been a cyst (i’d had an ultrasound about 6 years prior that showed hormonal cysts and nothing to worry about). I had a biopsy and was diagnosed with a Grade One 15mm invasive ductal carcinoma (E+ P+ and Her2 Neg).  I don’t think I could have run out of that door fast enough, I don’t think anyone can understand that feeling until they’ve been there!

I’ve since had a lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy (lymph nodes were clear) and cancer was removed with a good border. I’m now waiting on 19 radiotherapy sessions at the end of June.  I was just wondering if there were any other ladies out there who have been diagnosed fairly early on?  Also, I was wondering how ladies have got on taking Tamoxifen? I’m pre-menopausal and worried about side effects.

I’m a single parent with a 17 year old Autistic daughter and luckily my parents have been a great support and helped me out so much and I’m so thankful.  I have hardly any friends and i’m feeling quite isolated with it all.  Emily x

Hi Emily

Welcome to the forum even though none of us want to be here. I’m a fair bit older than you but if you look on the section for going through breast cancer treatment, you will find a heading for younger women and families. You may find some people to connect with on there. If not don’t worry there are plenty of people on here to share your concerns and answer questions etc.

Joemic x :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Emily

I’m 37 and recently diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma too grade 3 measuring 3cm her2+ that has spread to one lymph node

I have to have chemo first and then treatment for the her2+ and then either a lumpectomy or mastectomy.

Am here to chat if you want to xxx

Hi @Emilyblake2468  

I had the same diagnosis as you (also grade 1, 15mm, hormone positive, nodes clear), and looks like the same treatment plan - surgery, radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Similarly pre menapausal, although older than yourself.

I’ve been on the tamoxifen a year now and have tolerated it well. The main symptom is night sweats, which seems to be cyclical. I tend to have three weeks of night sweats and then a couple of weeks symptom free. At first I was waking up dripping wet (although it wasn’t waking me) and over the year this has eased and it’s mainly that during the night I am extremely hot. Luckily no other symptoms. I realise this isn’t everybody’s experience but i think there are a lot of people out there for whom tamoxifen is manageable.

I would recommend signing up for the moving forward course with Breast Cancer Now. As part of this they run sessions were you can talk to others who are going through the same experience, I found it really helped to know that others had very similar feelings and worries. 

Hi Emily 

I’m so sorry to find you on here 

I was diagnosed in may with invasive ductal breast Cancer grade 1 (ER & PR + 8/8 and HER2 Negative

In my left breast I am pissed that I didn’t find my lump even though I had been checking 

My left arm was swollen so that prompted my doctor to referr to the breast clinc

I’ve since had surgery with a good border I’m currently waiting to start radiotherapy  and to be put on Tamoxifen

I’m glad it was picked up in the early stages 

When the surgeon told me it could be cancer I was like  ok I teared up and then I was ok it was just the initial shock of it all 

But I have recently discovered it is ok to cry it’s  a lot for any of us  deal with 

Hopefully you have started radiotherapy 

Lots of love xx

Hi, Emily! I was just diagnosed with Stage 1, grade 2 idc, 1.8mm. I’m 47, so a decade ahead of you. My youngest is 18.  I received dx on a Monday, saw surgeon for info on Wednesday, then left for family road trip on Thursday. My kids don’t know, yet. I’ve had anxiety the last two days, and been angry. I ran around the hotel for 45 minutes one morning to tamp the feelings down. I really just wanted to run away. My worst fear these last 12 days has been hormone suppression, probably like you. Only it’s worse for you to face menopause at 37! It’s really unfair! I wonder how many additional concerns you have being a special needs parent! I hope this forum helps you feel less alone, as it has for me. 

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am 39 and was diagnosed mid August - I’m er- her+ though. I go through moments of being fine about it,  then other times of being frustrated, but overall I’m just really sad sending hugs xx