Recently diagnosed

Hi I was diagnosed on the 18th feb with stage 2 bc . Had lumpectomy on the 26th feb and returned to clinic on the 18th march to be told that it is actually stage 3 but luckily it is localised and not in my lymph nodes. I am now facing the surgery again on the 28th March if it is agreed at the MDT on Friday as the cells where within the margins or possibly just starting with chemo straight away. They have also done an onctype dx test to see if I have a high or low chance of the cancer reoccurring, has anybody else had this test? I’m filled with anxiety but also feeling positive . Dread the thought of chemo as I have 2 children aged 13 and 7 . Actually feel a bit relieved just writing this xx

Hi Nicky.

The waiting is horrid so glad to hear you are feeling positive. Take it all step by step as it’s a steep leaning curve.

After a routine mammogram late November I was diagnosed mid December with stage 2 invasive ductal and lobular BC that was ER and PR positive and HER2 negative.I had a lumpectomy early January and a 23mm tumour was removed. Margins and lymph glands clear. The oncotype test helps you and your doctor make decisions about chemo. Generally a result below 18 means chemo of little benefit,  18-25 chemo is up for discussion and at over 25 it is generally recommended. My Oncotype was 10 so chemo was avoided but if you do need it then don’t despair as there are loads of lovely ladies on this forum who are experts on every aspect of chemo and who will support you through every step. You can also look at NHS Predict website to assess the benefit of various treatments. I am currently on 3 weeks of daily radiotherapy which (so far) is tiring but no big problem. 

None of expect to find ourselves in this strange new world but you have lots of new friends here…you will never b3 alone and soon the new landscape will become more familiar and less scary.

big hug

JJ x 

Thinking of you today Nicky. Good luck…let us all know how it goes for you. There will always be someone here to help you through.