Recently diagnosed

Hi - I found a lump in my right breast over Easter and was referred for checks. On Thursday I met with my consultant who has diagnosed breast cancer and has booked me for a mastectomy in 3 weeks time. Any advice would be appreciated. Feeling numb, shellshocked, scared!!

@purpleworld  - I’m really sorry to read about your diagnosis, but I’m very glad you have found this lovely forum and would like to welcome you on behalf of the forum. I hope you will find lots of support and advice, and please don’t hesitate to ask any questions at all, about treatment or about how the forum works.

I had chemo, mastectomy, reconstruction and radiotherapy about 4 years ago, so I am happy to try to answer any questions.

I am quite sure that you are feeling as if a big bus came out of nowhere and just hit you, that’s how I felt - your last 3 words are exactly how I think everyone feels when they hear the diagnosis. Now is the time to look after your mental health as well as physical, so lots of kindness to yourself and try to take one day at a time. 

I would get a notebook so that you can make a list of any questions that you think of, and you can also write down the answers. I needed to write everything down otherwise I would forget the answer by the time I came out of the appointment.

You might want to join one of the monthly surgery groups, I’m not sure if a June one has started yet but have a look at the May one (I hope this link works, let me know if it doesn’t) - forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Surgery/Surgery-May-2021/m-p/1365658/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8Ym9hcmRfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtPWkVaRTM0MVpXRjg4fDEzNjU2NTh8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M65164

I don’t want to bombard you with too much information, but in terms of surgery you will need to get yourself some front opening PJs, and shirts to wear during the day as you won’t be able to easily get anything over your head for a while. Try to get a food delivery lined up, or someone to shop for you, and move the essential tea/coffee down to a lower shelf. That is only short term, you will be given arm exercises to get your arm moving again. 

That’s probably enough for the first message! Please keep chatting or ask any questions, whatever helps. Sending hugs and strength, Evie xx

Hi , I too found a lump wiping crumbs off my chest with no bra on .  Was very small but roughly defined so knew not a cyst as round and smooth .  Ignored for 4/6 weeks and then found courage to go to gp… urgent referral … 4 consultant visits / biopsy and surgery Thursday for invasive ductal carcinoma … so shocked but they say it’s their bread n butter type and fixable but all depends on cells once removed re more surgery/ radio / pills and very rarely chemo … going from size D to A ( fine as they sag ) age 50 , not menopausal yet at all 

be strong / all fixable re breast mostly 

I’m confident all will be well 

Diana 

Hi , I too found a lump wiping crumbs off my chest with no bra on .  Was very small but roughly defined so knew not a cyst as round and smooth .  Ignored for 4/6 weeks and then found courage to go to gp… urgent referral … 4 consultant visits / biopsy and surgery Thursday for invasive ductal carcinoma … so shocked but they say it’s their bread n butter type and fixable but all depends on cells once removed re more surgery/ radio / pills and very rarely chemo … going from size D to A ( fine as they sag ) age 50 , not menopausal yet at all 

be strong / all fixable re breast mostly 

I’m confident all will be well … good luck re all stages … I have looked after my 21 year old daughter who got bone cancer in leg at 19 so I can’t believe now me ! 
couldn’t write it … shit shit time 

Diana