cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery after surgery

9 REPLIES 9
Abella

Re: Recovery after surgery

Hi guys still a little uncomfortable but my consultant doesn't want to remove anymore fluid as doesn't want it to get infected. It is still.bruised and swollen but at least it's gone
Now the treatment starts
Told on Monday I've got to have chemo 😢 so hear we go again with the waiting and worry some daysI feel strong others I'm putting a brave face on but I'm crying inside don't know what to expect
Abella
Fezzy1952

hi abella I had wle and 4 lymph nodes removed 25th July I can say that even after 5 weeks I was still getting discomfort but now after 6 weeks I am pain free, hang in there it does get better.
Abella

Hi all thank you for your support. Update I decided to ring the bcn today with my concerns and was told to pop in and see them. Yh the stabbing pins etc is the nerve endings so no worries there but my breast had fluid build up so they drained it off. Left hospital a little sore but hopefully it will settle down. Back on Monday for results from surgery.
Abella
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Abella, well done on getting through your op. I had the same as you in February 2017 and it does improve. The nerves are trying to reconnect - I was told. I still get some discomfort , but nothing too severe. Take the pain relief before you are in pain. Advice from my BCN was to stay on top of it so I got a good nights sleep and could heal. Very sound advice . Do get it checked though, so you don't worry. X

Abella

Thank you mai7 I'll give it a couple of days if still the same will see doctor.
Abella

Thank you mail I'll give it a couple of days if still the same will see doctor.
Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Abella,  I had full node removal from the same incision as mastectomy and mine is still numb nearly a year later with some pins and needles which come and go.  I think its probably the nerves reconnecting and being a combination of under-sensitive and over-sensitive in a blur of confusion.  I'd get it check though if it's bothering you as anxiety can be as bad as physical discomfort. xxx

Abella

It's in my wle but my lump and lymphnodes were taken out by same cut. I haven't got physio. I'm at hospital on Monday for follow appt but if it carries on I'll pop to my doctor or ring bcn. Thanks for the reply at least I now know it could be what you said. Just seems to get worse as week goes on.
Anella
RoxanneT

Hi Abella

Is the feeling in your WLE or your armpit?

Prior to my release I was told that they had applied a heavy anesthetic to my breast and armpit and that it would wear off after a few days. I was also told i may experience stabbing pains as some of my nerves had been damaged or removed and it would take time for them to settle down. Just keep taking your pain killers regularly as they were prescribed. Personally i don't like taking pain killers but i was told by my BCN and physio that i shouldn't be in pain.

When i saw my physio she showed me how to massage/stretch my wound to breakdown the scar tissue. If you don't have a physio in place you may want to get your MDT to arrange one. 

Abella

Recovery after surgery

Hi all. Had my wle and 2 lymphnodes removed on 28th August. I removed the dressing 5 days after. Can anyone tell me if they felt that they could scratch area as it feels like pins sticking in. Still uncomfortable really worse than the first couple of days after operation .
Abella