Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted

Re: Surgery

Hi Delly

I have a 3 spa weekend to look forward to at Champneys. Will make a date when things are safe.

I would like to be sitting on a beach right now with a nice cocktail 🍹 that’s another thought.

All good things come to those who wait...... need to get back to work to earn a few pounds....

hope you are all good 🤪Xx

Highlighted

Well done gal.

What thoughts have you had so far for your 50th celebration proper ??

Lots of love,  Dellywelly  x x x

Highlighted

Age is just a number as they say 😂

just home from the 5th session so 10 more to go 🙏 skin feels a bit tight but have been moisturising after my shower each night I think new boob is coping well & bio oil is ordered.

once radiotherapy is over I will concentrate on applying it religiously.

looking forward to last day & hopefully I can put my mind in a strong girl power mode to put this C word behind me & get on with life.

hope you’re ok and keeping occupied in this strange world we live in right now.

thank you for your lovely message & tips I do appreciate it.

hugs 🤗

Nicky xxx

Highlighted

Hi back flower. Yeh 50's the new 40!! Mind you, I said that last year about 60 😃 (I've been looking for my emoticon button).

Awww, I'm sooo glad you had a good time. It probably gave you a good charge for the start of rads too. How many sessions will it be for? You've ticked off 3 already. Hope they carry on as they are, without any or too much skin irritation for you.

Erm no, I didn't mean a lovey dovey dinner "out". It was a warm sunny day and evening that day wasn't it. 

Bio-OIl - It has quite a strong perfumy smell initially, that very quickly dissipates (that's a good word Delly! 😋 ).  But, if like me, you have sensitive eyes, wash your hands after applying it. I guess your boob scars are gonna be under the heat, are they?  Have you started putting anything on your skin yet, immediately after treatment, as a preventative or precaution?? 

Lots of love, Doolally  x x x

Highlighted

Aww thank you so much I’m now in the five oh club🤪

beautiful day lots of social distances visitors throughout the day I was spoilt lots of flowers & gifts....

BBQ as hubby couldn’t take me to dinner it’s was yummy & yes washed down with a few Prosecco’s..... Too many 🤪

Radiotherapy started on Monday so far so good I feel fine just a little tired maybe.

I’m gonna order bio oil from good old amazon thanks for the tip.

hope you’re okay & getting out to see friends & family a little now but safely of course.

thanks for remembering my birthday my lovely 😊🌈🙏🌈xx

Highlighted

* * HAPPY  50th  BIRTHDAY  PINKYFLEUR!  HEARTFELT  CONGRATULATIONS  TO  YOU * *

Hope you've had good day so far, as well as can be had in the circs. Hope you have a lovely evening. Perhaps a nice lovey dovey dinner with hubby and a bottle of something spesh? Some time discussing how to celebrate it "proper" when everyone is set free again.

Also hope you're still doing okay on the tabs. So Rads next week Hey. Another "first" experience for you.

Glad your new boob is now healed, hope you're satisfied with the results so far. Try Bio-Oil on your tummy scar. It's a bit pricey, but "You're worth it" X (<<can't find the emoticons). It's very good, does what it says on the bottle and adverts with scars, and it's very fine so a small amount goes a long way.

Have a good night Nicky.  Lots of love to you  x x x

Ps - Let me/us know how you're going on with your rads, when you're able or up to  x

Highlighted

Hi ya Delly 

thank you for your message & hope you’re okay & keeping busy during this weird time I’m hopeful the sun will have its hat on again soon ☀️
yes I’m approaching that half a century birthday & looking forward to being in the nifty club on 27th May it’s going to be a quiet one due to COVID making the world a strange place but I will make up for it next year & will be sitting on a beach somewhere to make up for not being able to this year.

I’m on day 14 of tamoxifen & so far so good & no hot flushes yet I imagine it will take time to work & eventually bring me in to the menopause club & Zoladex is for 3 years & tamoxifen is 10 years as long as it does it’s job and keep that horrid C word from me I will learn to ride with any side effects that arise.

booby is settling in good & kind soft now & hopefully I can get the cherry on the cake added one day, as for my huge scar across my tummy it’s still rather red but healed good & guess will fade in time, it’s my war wound along with my armpit one.

i start radiotherapy on 1st June so hopefully after that 3 weeks course I’m able to jump for joy & tell cancer it picked on the wrong girl.

I will like you always go in this site & try to help others as I will always remember how ladies like you helped calm me down on days when I was loosing the plot.

Anyway keep safe & forever positive🙏🌈

hugs

Nicky Xx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky pinkyfleur,

Good to hear and see you upbeat. That is soo grrreat to hear your NO CHEMO REQUIRED news - yaahooo girl 😀  I've had to read up on Zoladex (I only know about Tamoxifen). It listed early menopause as a "rare" side effect, Nicky, so you may be able to hang on to it, but then the Tamox may knock your periods on the head after a while, of course. Is the Zoladex a long or short term treatment? And I'm presuming Tamox will be long term preventative, yeh? So your natural menopause time/age may have been looming up in the next year or so anyway, because somebody's

** 50th **    has either been or is coming up ????  Which is it pinkyfleur?  If it's been, a belated "HAPPY BIRTHDAY".  I remembered you saying you wanted to be well for you 1/2 century in May.  Bit of a pain in the Viral climate, hey.  You'll have to properly make up for it once its all settled down.  **Let us know if it's still to come, and what date.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for a reply from you and come on to make some appropriate "whoohooo" noises.

How's your "booby" friend now?? You haven't mentioned anything about it. Has it all settled, and are you happy with the results - tummy as well??

I'll sign off now and speak again soon. Hope you feel okay on your meds.

Lotsa love to you and anyone else looking on, Dellywelly   xxxxxx

Highlighted

Hi ya Doodally 😀

I’ve also not been on here a while it’s mad how this lockdown has made me find loads to do from clearing cupboards to reading & being a film junkie...

As you know I went on the Optima trial & after quite a few weeks of waiting the test came back that I was a low risk & that I did not need chemo so I jumped with joy when I got the call 2 days ago as today I was supposed to start chemo but instead I had the first injection of Zoladex I will have this each month & guess say hello menopause soon & I will start my tamoxifen tomorrow & 15 rounds of radiotherapy when Covid has lessened.

The infusion department today was extremely cautious of cross infection , wash your hands & take a seat & then temperature taken before you go in & with a mask 😷 on I didn’t feel out of place every one had a mask on, I think chemo is being done on urgent patients and patients that had started before all the virus 🦠 arrived bless all the nurses working so hard.

scary time for everyone I wish it would bugger off now.

husbands not on chef duty I’m not working & feeling well so back with my pinney on 🤣

omg you poor thing to get that horrid C word in the other boob after getting over the first time your a double pink warrior for sure.

I will hope to still go on here too like you to help others as I’ve found this so helpful in my darkest hours & will always remember how lots of ladies like you helped put my mind at ease & chill my beans.

I’m going to be looking for tips on tamoxifen soon & it’s side affects 🌈🙏

hope you’re good & keeping safe in this lockdown, shame the weather has gone from sun to blooming down pours.... hey ho...

keep in touch & thank you for checking in on me I’m ok my anxiety has lessened & I’ve learned to ride with this, girl power all the way 💓🌈

big hugs 

Nicky Xxx

Highlighted

Hi Pinkyfleur/Nicky

Sorry, haven't been on in a while, myself.

"Impromptu" - unplanned, spur of the moment, without preparation.

Did you start the chemo on the 17th?? That would be a week now then. In the words of Joey from Friends - "How YOU Doin"?? (Am still enjoying repeats of repeats of that wonderful series, love 'em)   How's it going, and how on earth are hospitals coping with chemo patients and all this frickin virus business. Mad innit.

Yep, had in both boobs. A new different primary in the second. I'd felt it, a few days before my annual check on the first one!! Talk about sods law. Tiny thing too. Ultrasound showed group of cysts, but consultant was suspicious and conscientious. Turned out it was lying underneath these and needle biop showed positive or should that be negative for nasties!

That's sweet of you with your praises, but I've only been posting on the Forum since 2014. Wished I'd known about it back then for mine. It's an absolute godsend. 

Let us know how you are, flower. I was going to say, hope you're getting some spoiling from family and friends, but of course limited contact, silly Delly!! Has your husband gone back onto chef duty again? 😉 👍❣️ 

Lots of love and a big hug

Doolally x x x x

Highlighted

🤣 Delly I googled it SNB sentinel node biopsy, 🤗🤗

I did not have that mine was just taken  out during surgery.... xxx

Highlighted

Hi Delly 

sorry late reply I’ve not been on here for a few weeks I have kept busy doing things at home during this isolation, have to say my cupboards are rather organised.

yes you’re right i had an mri prior to my mastectomy & it showed no node involvement so as precaution sentinel node was removed during the mastectomy but  it showed cancer then I had 20 nodes removed a few weeks later which 2 nodes showed cancer so total of 3 altogether, oncologist suggested chemo it is booked to start on 17.04.20 but I did sign up to the Optima trial as I also thought well did the lymph nodes do their job ? 
can I avoid chemo? 
this test was offered I took the chance & signed on the dotted line  my understanding is it will test the behaviour of the cancer removed & determines if I will benefit from chemo or the hormone tablets. unfortunately it’s a 50/50 chance I actually get chosen it’s all done on a scoring system, the actual test is called prosigma.

I feel dread at the thought of chemo but I worry if I do not have it what if any cells escaped elsewhere. I did have a body scan but told cells are not picked up only masses!

I think I’m going to have to wait until 14th & go with what will be will be.....

So you had a mastectomy on one boob in 2006 then 2007 ? Did you have this bloody horrid breast cancer twice ? You were a wee bit younger than me then, I’m 49 & also due to being small boobed had to have mastectomy rather than lumpectomy.

what does SNB stand for & also impromptu I am probably being a donut & should know!!

wow Delly how amazing are you to still come on this beautiful site still after all those years ago helping us ladies I do see you help lots of ladies it doesn’t go un- noticed 🌈😘

I will keep you posted on the appointment & what’s next.

meanwhile keep safe in this awful time of what’s going on in the world right now.

thank you for hugs 🤗 I so appreciate them.

big hugs back at you 🤗🤗

love 

Nicky Xxx

Highlighted

Hi again Nicky.

Awww sweetheart, I'm not surprised you feel so confused!!! and deflated. I've just read back through your last posts and I'M confused by it all as well.

I presume the lymph node removed at your op was from a Sentinal Node Biopsy test that showed positive for cancer cells. Yet your scans did NOT show any spread elsewhere, THANKFULLY, so a resounding "Hellalujah"!! for that 😊 But meant having another 20, 3 of which then showed up with nasties.

Sooo, no signs of spread elsewhere from the scans would mean that it has hopefully been "contained" JUST in the lymph nodes, Yeh?? Am I reading that right darlin?

If so, it sounds like your lymph nodes thankfully did a bloody good job of what they were supposed to do, i.e. that of containing this blasted (am being polite!) disease, and it has been caught early enough not to have spread.

No sorry Nicky, I have no experience of or advice on the Optima trials. If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to create another thread on the Forum, for any other Optima Trial girls, dependent on how much time you have to decide? My only knowledge is that it's attempting to remove the necessity for chemo in certain cancer types and cases.

I can soo understand your "fear" of chemo. I did too. So much so, on the day of my none was required results, I had an impromptu "Yippee, No Chemo Required" party to celebrate! But I'm very much an "oldie" now ref. my BC, at 2006 and 2007 (47 and 48yrs). Chose masts for both over lumpectomies (due to small boob size) and Rads, which also meant total ANC, a standard procedure at that time, mine being just prior to SNB being brought in to this country. So I didn't have all your confusion and decision. Just whether masts and no Rads over lumpectomies and Rads, and immediate recon over none, and/or later.

I soo feel your frustration, you currently being in a horrible and questioning limbo land with it all, "questions keep going round and round in my head". Keep asking questions, and don't worry you're making a nuisance of yourself, because really, it's part of the consultants and BCN's job and purpose to make sure that YOU are well informed in order to be able to make any well informed decisions for yourself, body and future. Yes?

What have you been told your options are if you don't take the Optima trial, Nicky??

Sending you lots of love, strength and a great big warm hug your way, albeit through the ether. 

Doolally-Delly x x x ❤️

Highlighted

Hi there Delly

I am okay saw oncologist yesterday I have an option for an optima trial I know it’s a 50/50 chance that only some women get selected, have you any advice on this ? 

As the lymph nodes cancer was found in 3 I now sit here thinking will i benefit from chemo, do I need it , do I want it......

my understanding of the optima test it narrows it down the behaviour of the cancer I need to educate myself a bit more on it.

As I am told my cancer has gone I had a mastectomy & 20 nodes removed!! Confusing why I may need chemo what’s this going to do ? Doesn’t radiotherapy zap any cells left ? All these questions going round & round my head.

I’m feeling a bit deflated at the moment.

I’m absolutely petrified of chemo I just don’t know what to think right now.

thanks for checking in on me hopefully you are safe indoors all the Coronavirus is a worry huh.

Hugs 

nicky xxx

Highlighted

Hi pinkyfleur Nicky.

Good to read your update. Apols haven't been on posting in quite a while.

How did you go on with the extra lymph nodes removed? Hope all was and is okay(?) and your recovery is still progressing well.

Lots of love to everyone on here

Delly xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ya Dellywellydodah🤗

I finally got more mobile after a few weeks in bed I think why I was in such agony the nurse said maybe a nerve in my tummy & made the pain unbearable to stand hey ho that’s all behind me now.

i have had a set back the Lymph node removed during surgery as a precaution the results came back positive it was not the news I wanted to hear & of course I had big meltdowns again as I was sent for body scans to check if it’s elsewhere so it was back to sleepless nights for me again. Scared out of my blooming mind.

Lucky for me & huge relief it had not spread I cannot tell you how I skipped out the consultants room.

so the plan is I’m booked in on Friday 21st feb for another operation to remove more lymph nodes for testing I’m not sure what the plan will be after treatment wise they don’t really tell me which is frustrating as I want to know I guess they have to wait on the next lot of lymph nodes results. 
I feel like my diary for the last 3 months has been full of hospital appointments I know I’m not alone as all us warriors are seeing lots of docs nurses etc.

i am getting cabin fever too being stuck in all the time well apart from a mooch to local shop walking distance & I miss not being able to drive 🤔 mind you my scar on tummy feels ok but still numbness but that may never go I was told oh well small price to pay for being saved.

so I will be packing a little bag this week for hospital and this is an overnight stay only which is a relief apparently I come home with one drain. I am NOT going to clog myself up with too many tablets that was a lesson learned the last time 😂 embarrassing moments 😂 

so that’s my little update & hey thank you so much for checking in on me.

i hope you’re doing ok what’s happening with you? Hope you are doing just fine.

I’m approaching the half of century birthday in May so I’m keen to feel human for that & hopefully raise a glass to I’ve kicked cancers arse.

🙏  big hugs 🤗 Nicky xx

Highlighted

Hey Pinky

We haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you are recovering and doing well, are you??

Feel like giving us an update?

Lots of love to you

Dellywellydoodaah xxxx

Highlighted

Eeee, I don't know, what some people do for attention from a handsome nurse, pretending to need the commode, and flashing your bum with the hospital gown?! Reminded me of that comical scene in "Something's Gotta Give", where Jack Nicholson's in hospital walking down the corridor unknowingly flashing his cheeky cheeks!  

Good to hear from you and glad you're home in your own bed. Not glad you're in so much pain, plus majorly bunged up. It's such a nuisance side effect with painkillers, makes you feel groggy too. Hope you've had some "movement" on that front (or should that be behind Smiley LOL), and that the fruit's working?!

Keep us up to date. We'll all be gunning for you ref results.

Lots of love, flower. xxxxx 

Highlighted

Oh the embarrassing moment was day 2 the catheter was removed & of course I needed a assistance rang the nurse bell & then a drop dead hunky nurse appears I’m sitting there in my hospital gown with the ties & the back covering up very little 🧐 how could I say no I don’t want you to help me can you fetch me a lady nurse !! Anyway he eases me up with me screeching in pain & I really couldn’t do it so he gets the commode omg 😮 the embarrassing moment I won’t forget . It’s sure good to be home in my own bed I am not to clever on my feet due to the pain but am getting up every few hours to have a shuffle I’m now cutting out my day time tablets coz still not been able to go to the loo it’s ridiculous lol I’m eating fruit like no tomorrow 🤣 I still not yet have had a peep but from looking with the sports bra on it looks just the same as the other boob I just know that the nipple is missing I will one day get that done but the main purpose for this was to get that cancer out of my body 🙏 I will receive results of Lymph node in 2 weeks please god it comes back clear. Meanwhile I’m gonna keep positive & gain my strength day by day girl powers 🤗💓 us warrior girls understand each other thank you for checking in on me 🙏🤗💓😉💪Xx

Highlighted

Hey 

I’m home now & using my own thrown🤣 Pain is still horrendous on the tummy & getting me up the stairs was an ordeal so I’ve opted to stay in bed to recover & with the help of hubby I get up and shuffle to bathroom like a 99 year old . Today is Day 8 after the op and I know this is going to take some time I hope by next week I can maybe go for a little walk on the outside world. Thanks for checking in on me lovely 😊💓💓

Highlighted

Hey Pinkyfleur

Am thinking of you, wondering how you're doing?

Hope you're good. Well, as well as can be in your circs. Comfey? Presume you're still in hospital?

Are you still throning it, or have you now gone back to the plebian basics and using the loo?

What's happening? Are you now doing a little exercise, perhaps?

Let us know

Lots of love and a big gentle hug to you xxxx

Highlighted

Helloooo, brave lady

Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you're struggling, a bit?! Crikey, I would have been too with what you've just been through, think anyone would.

I had to chuckle at your "all the being a lady have gone out the window". Summoned up visions of you sitting on your THRONE (commode!!). You've been promoted from "lady" then?!

Whenever I've had ops, be that boobs or major knee op, the Anaesthetic team particularly, have always been so fantastic, wonderful. They seem to have an extra something in helping put you at ease.

Guess we're all different about "looking". I made a point of looking same night with first mast, in the ward bathroom - literally knocked me to the floor. Not a good experience. Didn't bother with second mast, nor much after that. In fact avoided it. But . . totally different after a much delayed 1st stage of recon (expanders for later implants). I couldn't wait. Stood in the ward bathroom and shouted "Whoo Hoo", as it was so great to see some of my old shape back. So, I was glad to hear you'd chosen immediate recon.

Some women are okay with no recon, but I was never happy having no boobs. 

My two suggestions for helping recovery are perhaps a bit early for your type of op than masts. More for when you're back home. But think about the couple of Para's before bed, to make sure you get your much needed undisturbed by pain sleep. 

Keep posting to let us know how you're doing.

Lots of love, and a big but gentle hug to you xxxx

Highlighted

Hey

surgery day arrived it was tough I took my deep breaths in & out had a few tears but mopped them up fast as I was soon to become a pink super warrior like all of you lovely ladies.

i was kept busy chatting about my 3 grown up kids whilst the injection went in & 10 hours later I’m in recovery with a hunk of a doctor I didn’t have my glasses but I’m sure it was Mr Clooney himself he made sure I had pain relief coz I needed it the tummy is sooo sore & nice cool water what an amazing man he is.

i am on a ward of 4 ladies to be honest I have slept a lot for 2 days I am struggling to stand & shuffle along with all these bags the groin pains the worst. I gave up earlier and asked for commode to come to my bed all the being a lady goes out the window 🤣

I am just doing what I can do as this morning I pushed myself and felt faint and sick.

i have had the sports bra fitting tonight I still can’t look I think that’s a long way off baby steps.

i am told I will be here up to a week depending on my mobility.

so you had your surgery 13/14 years ago and still helping others on here wow amazing 😉 just what I intend to do ...

thank you for your help & support it’s blooming hot in this hospital so I shall end this now.

love from a newly qualified super pinky warrior 🙏🧗‍♀️💪🤗 Xx

Highlighted

Hi Pinkyfleur

That Goerge Clooney's a busy fella! Don't know how he's fitting it all in, with surgery, filming, and now he's enrolled in my "Deliver-A-Hug" service featured on "Feeling Worried and Alone" thread (Coping with Fear and Anxiety).

Well, I hope all went well with your surgery on Friday. I don't know if you're still in hospital as you didn't say how long you'd be in? They get people out and home so quickly these days - I was in for 5-6 days with both my mast ops 2006 and 07.

That's a mammoth op and time taken, so I hope you're comfey and being thoroughly spoiled.

It sounds like your not pro medication, but my two biggest tips would be:-

Take some painkillers before you go to bed, even if you aren't in pain at the time, because you can bet if you don't, you'll move in your sleep and the pain will wake you up.

And secondly - Be reeally strict with yourself about doing your exercises. Yes you'll be stiff and awkward to start, but you'll be amazed just how quickly your mobility will improve each day, session even. I did mine more often than suggested, as it was something to do while in hospital anyway. Obviously within the limits of not bursting your stitches!!

Wishing you speedy healing Pinky. Sending you a GC hug Smiley LOL Heart x x x  

Highlighted

Aww thank you 🙏 & oh wow yes I will dream it’s him 😂 Xx

Highlighted

Take care lovely & know we’re all here for you! 
You’ll be just fine & it will all soon be over - onwards and upwards! 💪🏻
Im praying that your surgeon looks like George Clooney, too! Xx

Highlighted

Thank you Jan I did buy some rescue remedy I have spoken to the nurses & surgeons at my pre op assessment & explained my anxiety so they are all in the picture I know that I have to be strong & just go with this it has got to be done I know once the needle goes in tomorrow morning I shall know nothing about it.

today has been tough & emotional but I’m now tucked up in bed ready to zone out with some meditation.

I’m up at 5am I’ve got this 💪thank you so much for your kind message and tips .... tomorrow is pink warrior day 💓🙏🤗xx

Highlighted

Hi pinkyfleur

It sounds to me like you have things well in hand, certainly relative to me. One thing that struck me though is that, during all those hours of surgery, much of which presumably is preparation, you are in the best of hands. It’s in no one’s interests to lose a patient! I’m phobic and all I could think about was what if I was sick! I found being completely open with everyone about my anxieties led to their bending over backwards to make me feel ok (and you can’t reassure a phobic, believe me). Talk to your consultant and anaesthetist if they visit you before the operation. Tell each nurse. They have heard it all before, are very understanding and will listen even when they are busy.

It’s great that you’re finding the meditation app useful. Otherwise I’d have recommended the YouTube videos I have plugged myself into throughout treatment. Make sure it goes with you to hospital. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? Some people find it helps reduce anxiety as drops under the tongue or a mouth spray. I was able to take arnica 30 before and after surgery and I believe it reduced the pain/bruising from surgery (mastectomy and full axillary clearance). Certainly I used no pain relief at all after the injection the hospital gave me. But check with your consultant first if you’re using homoeopathy.

I’m not a believer in the battle imagery surrounding cancer (it makes so many people feel they aren’t Up to scratch when things don’t go to plan - if we feel weak and useless now and then, so be it - in my opinion) but I wish you well in handling whatever lies ahead. I think you’re off to a good start, even if it doesn’t feel like it as the anxiety builds. Just remember, you’d need to be superhuman not to feel anxiety!

I hope Friday runs smoothly for you,

Jan x

Highlighted

Surgery

Hello I’m wondering if any of you lovely ladies can help me to keep calm & focused I was diagnosed with invasive Ductal carcinoma on left breast on 19th of November I have 2 lumps and mri confirmed some cells also in same breast. It kinda turned my world upside down but as it was Xmas approaching I kept busy & quite a few meltdowns along the way & a couple of panic attacks I am using a meditation app which helps & my husband & grown up kids are so amazingly supportive.

i am going to be having a mastectomy with Diep flap reconstruction on Friday the thought of 10 hours in surgery is scary but I know this is the start to kicking Cancers butt. I am anxious but positive if that makes sense I would like to hear any tips of how you got through it & how you felt after so I’m prepared  💓

thanks 🙏 Nicky Xx