Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The worry and waiting after surgery

10 REPLIES 10
SallyG63

Re: The worry and waiting after surgery

Kath,

Don't judge chemo by how one person looks. It's a very individual thing. If you need it, you may sail thru. Not everyone has the same regime so please try not to stress too much. Just whinge and moan as much as you need on here. There's always someone else who has been or has going through what you have to lend a sympathetic ear.
Kath1977

Hi Sue.

Not great I'm afraid, had my results and they were not good news. How are you doing? Xx
Sue C
Community Champion

How are you Kath?

Sue xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Kath it is difficult losing your hair. There is no getting round that I'm afraid. People deal with it in different ways. I got my hair cut short and then when it started to go, I used a scarf. Others brave the shave ( I wasn't brave enough!) Some prefer wigs. I found the initial shedding upsetting. But then I just got used to it. My kids got used to it too, and so will yours. All I can say is that it will be temporary. It certainly is interesting growing it back..... I've always had straight hair and when it grew back, it was curly! 18 months on, I can almost pull off a decent bob.
Please try to focus on the bigger picture. Chemo is your medicine and it will do its job.
Hugs xx
Kath1977

I am my own worst enemy, I just assume I'm going to have the worst reaction to chemo and losing my hair is a massive deal for me and for my children.

It upsets me so much just the thought, but then someone will say to me what would you rather have no hair or die and then you think how stupid and vain I am being.

I'm glad that you were ok on your chemo. It's good to hear positives xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Kath
Everybody reacts differently to chemo. My experience was not the same as your neighbour. I had no sickness and didn't feel unwell. I did suffer from fatigue in the first week and learnt to just take things slow. It was very doable. Sadly, hair loss is something we all deal with. However, it does grow back very quickly. I coped with scarves and was able to remove them only 4 months after treatment.
IF you need chemo, you will be surprised at how you just deal with it. It's just a short time in your life and it's doing the job of getting rid of any stray cancer cells. It gives you the best possible chance moving forward.
Please come and chat anytime, and let us know how you get on.
Sue xx
Kath1977

Thank you Jill for your lovely reply.

I get my results on the 28th so next Thursday.

I'm one of those people that always expects the worse news, and then anything else is a bonus.

Hope you are doing ok

Kath xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hello Kath ,the couple of weeks after surgery is very hard - waiting to know what happens next is torture - I tried to keep as busy as I could given the restrictions after surgery - I arranged to meet as many people as possible for lunch / coffee to try and distract myself .I also chatted a lot to people on this forum which was a really good help .When do you get your results ?
PS people saying stay positive used to do my head in - very hard to stay positive when you have just been diagnosed with cancer and dark thoughts keep creeping into your mind !!! It does get better no matter what your treatment plan turns out to be .Jill xx
Kath1977

Thank you Sue for your lovely reply.

Am just feeling sorry for myself and hate feeling so helpless.

My neighbour bless her is also having chemotherapy and she called into see me and omg was so shocked how awful she looked and her hair has fallen out and she sat there telling me how bad and ill she has been..

Selfishly all I could think was "Omg this is going to happen to me"

I really wish she hadn't come to see me as has made me a lot worse.

I don't even know if I need chemo yet but it's the thinking about it everyday that makes me convince I will.

Kath xx
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Kath

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately It's a place where none of us want to be. However, we all support each other as much as possible, share tips, off load, etc.

You are at the most difficult stage, waiting for results and wondering what the next step will be. Once you have the treatment plan in place, things will feel a little better. Hopefully you will physically start to improve over the coming weeks. If you have chemo, then that, on average, starts about 6 weeks after surgery. Chemo will not be as bad as you think. If you have other conditions, they will take this into account and adjust your meds accordingly.

what we all want through this process, is to get our lives back on track and to be able to do the things that we've always done.....look after our kids, go to work etc.

Well, you will be able to do that again. It will just take a little time. I'm 2 years on from diagnosis, and I can do those things again.

give yourself a break and look after yourself.  And ask for help when you need it......people will want to support you.

best wishes

sue xx

Kath1977

The worry and waiting after surgery

Hi.

I have just joined the forum for someone to talk to as going out of my mind after my lumpectomy.

The wait for results and to see if the surgery was a success and if I need chemotherapy has been the worst waiting through all my waiting since diagnosis.

My biggest worry is chemotherapy, I have a awful immune system and massive lung problems and know that if I do need chemo I will be so ill.

Having to sit around resting for the 2 weeks after surgery when I am used to running around after my 3 children has not done me any good mentally.

It has just made me worry that it's all bad news.

I am fed up of people saying "stay positive" they are not going through what I'm going through and everytime I go to hospital it's more bad news.

Sorry for the rant am just struggling.

Kath xx