Triple Negative BC - No family history

I was diagnosed last year at 45 with triple negative breast cancer stage 3 (grade 1).  Following lumpectomy, 5 months of chemcotherapy and 15 sessions of radtiotherapy I am now in remission.  However following appt with doctor it was recommended I have annual MR scans too.  My concerns are the BRCA gene!  As I dont have any family history of breast cancer I am not able to be tested on the NHS.  Just wondered if anybody could offer any advice if I should do this privately as it is something I feel concerned about. 

Thanks

Hi Hells, I am sorry you have not been able to get brca test through your trust, just because there is no family history doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t carry it, I would push your trust to test you because of your age, if you still get no joy, I would go private for your peace of mind. I was 45 and tn too, diagnosed last year and my trust did test for brca gene as my gran has bc at 44, she’s 94 later this year so nearly 50 years cancer free now. Keep ???and keep ???, join us in club Tropicana thread and pull up a Sunbed :heart::heart:??:sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Hi Hells, I was refused the test too, I didn’t have TN but my mum had died of BC after being diagnosed at 55 although she had it for a lot longer but didn’t tell anyone sadly, and then I was diagnosed aged 45.

Having two sisters I thought we would all be tested on my diagnosis but I was told by my Oncologist that we were not raising alarm bells as we were both over 40 plus BC in a family alone isn’t likely to be caused by a faulty gene, it’s more common when there are also Ovarian and prostate cancers as the three are linked to a faulty gene. 

My younger sister who is in early 40’s even had to fight to get screened but insisted and now has annual mammograms, they told her she wasn’t at high risk even with two family members with BC , she’s pretty feisty so begged to differ!! 

I would imagine you could pay for a private test but would need a referral. Xx Jo