Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two diagnoses in December.

20 REPLIES 20
catt57

Re: Two diagnoses in December.

Hello Lowen,

sid they send you the leaflets on the infusion and another tablet to take to tell you the truth I don’t fancy either when I have read about eerrrmmm what you call them.........ah yes side effects, I don’t want any of them but I do hope you can mana o look everything up online it’s just soooo much to take in you feel overwhelmed with what you need to take in hope all goes well for you take care .

Catt57 xxxxx

lowen

Hi Evie-s

Thank you for your lovely reply. It has made me feel so much better! 
 Lowen x

Evie-S
Community Champion

@lowen - thank you for coming back to update. It’s really good to read that you coped with radiotherapy and that Letrozole is treating you kindly. I’m on Tamoxifen at the moment but my consultant wants to change me to Letrozole or Anastrozole in the autumn - I am nervous about a change so it is reassuring to read your experience.

Bless you for feeling like you haven’t been ill enough to deserve all the support and love! You are most definitely not a fraud either. You have had a diagnosis and your family and friends will have wanted to help to get you to where you are now. It is clear from your messages that you are a very appreciative person, and that you would help your friends if they were in your position. So do let them continue to help you as you go forward - sometimes this time afterwards can be hard, like you say, as if you are cast adrift without the security of regular medical appointments. Have you read the article by Dr Peter Harvey - here is the link in case you haven’t seen it - http://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what...

You will soon get a third speed, it might not be formula 1 fast just yet but give yourself time to heal. Your dog will make sure you are out every day and soon you will feel better. My very best wishes to you as you go forward. Evie xx

lowen

Just an update. I’m finding the letrozole ok so far. The occasional flush, not much else so far. Radiotherapy went well with very little discomfort and a week after finishing no ongoing soreness. I’m feeling very tired, most notably when walking the dog. I have two speeds - slow and stop!
I’ve not heard about an appointment for the zoledronic acid infusion yet and I’m going to have to ring the hospital with a few questions after receiving a copy of my oncologist’s letter to the surgeon. However I’m mostly ok, although I now understand when I read that someone feels a little cast adrift/alone after finishing a course of treatment. I almost feel a bit of a fraud as I’ve not had much pain or sickness - it is as if I’ve not been ill enough for the support and love that’s been flowing my way from everyone. Does that make any sense? Sorry for rambling! 
lowen 

lowen

Thank you. I just want everyone to know that by sharing their experiences and giving support you have helped immensely to keep me calm, panic free and a lot more knowledgeable than I was before I had a diagnosis. 😊 So I’m grateful to have had the forum to turn to when I’ve needed it. X

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi lowen - that is really good news, thank you very much for updating. I wish you all the best for the next stages. Any questions, do come back and ask. Evie xx

Pandabear

Dear Lowen

Fantastic news!  I am so pleased for you. 

Thanks for letting us know, and do keep us updated of how it all goes.  

Take care x

lowen

Hi, just an update.
Today I had a telephone call from the oncologist. It’s good news in that my score from the oncotype test was 15 - low enough that chemo isn’t needed. So next week I have a CT scan and blood tests and can pick up a prescription for letrozole to take for five years. A few weeks later I will have five sessions of radiotherapy. I am also going to have an infusion of zoledronic acid every six months for three years. It was quite hard to follow everything that was said during the phone call as sometimes it cut out and if the doc moved any papers it was hard to hear over the crinkling! 😁
It all seems to be happening quite quickly so not too much time to stress. 
Feeling lucky that the news is good and finding the whole process a lot less scary than I thought it would be. Reading about everyone’s experiences and getting the support of forum members is a big help, especially in keeping everything in perspective. 
Thanks. 

lowen

Thank you for your lovely messages and support. 😀

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi lowen - I would echo Pandabear’s lovely message, especially glad for you that they got all the cancer. Do let us know when you get the results of the Oncotype and in the meantime lots of lovely treats for yourself. I agree with you - I’m also losing track of time in lockdown. Try to lock the results in a box for now, but if you have a wobble at all we are all here to listen and chat.

Hugs and best wishes, Evie xx

Pandabear

Dear Iowen,

I'm glad they got all the cancer, what a relief. 

Well, the oncotype testing will give you a clear plan as to the next part of your treatment. There is nothing you can do about the results, so I hope, in the meantime, you have some nice things planned, despite lockdown. Looking after yourself, both mentally and physically is so important, and it will help you embrace whatever the next step is. 

Do take care, and let us know the results. We are all rooting for you X 

lowen

Hi,

Went yesterday to get the results from my lumpectomy. Saw the surgeon (lovely lady) and she said they’ve got all the cancer. (Yay!) Unfortunately it’s changed grade, it’s now a grade 3 instead of 2. Apparently in the “old days” I would have been booked straight in for chemo as well as radiotherapy but now they are able to offer the option of having your tissue sent to the USA where they conduct a test called Oncotype DX. Thanks to this site I now am sure what this is 🙂. It tells you, hopefully, whether it will be beneficial to have chemo or not. It’s a little bit of bad news but I trust the people looking after me and feel only a little bit of worry at the news. So another three weeks probably for a plan of treatment but that will pass quickly I think as I lose track of days with lockdown! 

Pandabear

Dear Lowen,

That is fantastic news to hear.  The next couple of weeks waiting for results can be stressful, so do rally the support and keep busy. 

Do take a notepad with you when you go for your results, and if you are allowed, someone to accompany you. 

As Evie has said, do come back to us - we are all here to support you. 

My cancer was caught early too, so I did not need chemo, just radiotherapy and Tamoxifen. Both completely doable.  

Take care X 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi lowen - that’s really good news to hear, I’m glad it all went so well and your message will be very helpful to others who are waiting for their operations too. I hope you have some lovely treats while you recover and wait for results. I hope you won’t need chemo, but if you do it is doable.

Sending get well wishes, Evie xx

lowen

My op went well, thank you. The staff were wonderful. I think I was down to go second on the list and my booking in was really quick. They checked my blood glucose and it was good which was a relief. However getting the wire guide into the right place was difficult and couldn’t be achieved under ultrasound so had some extra mammograms. My blood glucose stayed steady all morning despite, I think, ending up last on the morning list because of the wire problem. I had a snack of cheese and crackers at 11.30 the night before and that helped. I can’t fault any of my care, the staff were so considerate and also very funny. I didn’t feel worried at all. Now just the wait for the results, hopefully I will not have to have chemo.

Thanks

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Lowen - I was exactly the same as you when I started using the forum, took me a while to pluck up courage to post something. I’m really glad you joined the forum and I am sure you will find it a huge source of advice and support. I was so glad to find it while I was going through treatment. I had a mastectomy, chemo, radiotherapy and now Tamoxifen - so can answer questions on those subjects, or if you just want to chat/feel anxious or whatever.

I don’t know if you will see this reply before your operation tomorrow, but I wish you all the best for the op and for a quick recovery. I’m glad you have some good support, but also we will also be there with you holding your hand and getting you through it and out the other side - and the lump will be gone. Don’t worry about all the terminology, but if we can help translate any of it just ask - no question is too big/small/silly, this is a safe place to ask anything, nobody will judge you.

When you feel up to it, please come back and let us know how you are. Big hugs, Evie xx

lowen

Thank you Evie. Yes, my first post but I’ve been reading and plucking up the courage to post for a couple of weeks. Thank you for the welcome, everyone seems lovely and the support you supply is so helpful especially when you first get the bad news. I’ve had the radioactive dye to photo the lymph nodes today and it seems that now I’ve begun the treatment process it doesn’t feel as scary.
Thanks again. Lowen 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi lowen- I don’t know if this is your first post, but I would also like join Pandabear’s lovely message and welcome you to this lovely forum. I hope someone will come along with some words of advice. I can’t comment on the diabetes either but if you have any questions about your treatment for BC I’m happy to try to help. Hugs Evie xx

lowen

Thank you Pandabear. I’m lucky, in that I have the most common type, one of the most treatable and it’s been caught very early so I’m having a wide excision (Lumpectomy?) and sentinel node biopsy. Wire guided I think. My notes are downstairs and the words just won’t stay in my head. You would think with how important it is that I could remember the names but I seem to find myself going blank. Depending on the results after my op then it will be radiotherapy and a tablet every day.

I’ve found the forum to be very helpful and spent the last couple of weeks reading and getting reassured. I’ve mostly felt quite calm and almost a little detached from everything. I do have great support from family and friends. The diabetes has just made it all a little bit more complicated. My doctors surgery have already been in touch and set up an appointment with the diabetes nurse so that’s good. 
Thanks for your kind reply.

Pandabear

Dear Iowen

I am sorry to hear that you have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.  That is enough to get your head round, (it certainly was for me anyway!), without the diabetes too, and so I would go with what your gp says,  and put it down the list.  I am not surprised you are feeling overwhelmed.  

I cannot comment on the diabetes,  but I am sure that you will find others in the forum offer good advice - although it is not necessarily the place you'd want to be,  everyone on here is very friendly. 

What surgery are you having?  How are you feeling about it?  Do you have lots of support? 

Well take care of yourself. 

Big hugs,

lowen

Two diagnoses in December.

Hi, I was diagnosed on 12th December with invasive ductal carcinoma, oestrogen positive, HER2 negative and my op is on Tuesday. A few days before Christmas I received a copy of a letter sent to my GP detailing that after my pre-op assessment I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have a few other health problems as well, enough that my GP has gently suggested I stop collecting. (He’s quite a nice doc). Apparently my diabetes is not anything to panic about and my GP reckons it should be second or even third on my list of things to think about. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experience of dealing with being newly diagnosed with both diabetes and breast cancer at roughly the same time and if they have any tips. I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Thanks.