Two diagnoses in December.

Hi, I was diagnosed on 12th December with invasive ductal carcinoma, oestrogen positive, HER2 negative and my op is on Tuesday. A few days before Christmas I received a copy of a letter sent to my GP detailing that after my pre-op assessment I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have a few other health problems as well, enough that my GP has gently suggested I stop collecting. (He’s quite a nice doc). Apparently my diabetes is not anything to panic about and my GP reckons it should be second or even third on my list of things to think about. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experience of dealing with being newly diagnosed with both diabetes and breast cancer at roughly the same time and if they have any tips. I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Thanks.

Dear Iowen

I am sorry to hear that you have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.  That is enough to get your head round, (it certainly was for me anyway!), without the diabetes too, and so I would go with what your gp says,  and put it down the list.  I am not surprised you are feeling overwhelmed. 

I cannot comment on the diabetes,  but I am sure that you will find others in the forum offer good advice - although it is not necessarily the place you’d want to be,  everyone on here is very friendly. 

What surgery are you having?  How are you feeling about it?  Do you have lots of support? 

Well take care of yourself. 

Big hugs,

Hi lowen- I don’t know if this is your first post, but I would also like join Pandabear’s lovely message and welcome you to this lovely forum. I hope someone will come along with some words of advice. I can’t comment on the diabetes either but if you have any questions about your treatment for BC I’m happy to try to help. Hugs Evie xx