70495members
370832posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting to have my MRI scan-how to cope with the wait?

12 REPLIES 12
Marla13

Re: Waiting to have my MRI scan-how to cope with the wait?

Thanks very much Ann!
xxxx
ann-m
Community Champion

It will be fine, Marla. A cannula for injection of the contrast dye is placed into a vein beforehand, then you lie face down with the boobs hanging down through a couple of hoops. The machine then makes quite a lot of noise. They do offer headphones with something to listen to, I think I had Radio 2!
It takes about 40 mind, then they just advise waiting for a short period of time afterwards to ensure you haven’t had any reaction to the dye.
My OH was with me, but I certainly would have been able to go alone.
ann x
Marla13

Re: Do I need someone to accompany me to MRI scan?

Thanks Loolarch! That's very reassuring. I thought as much but wanted to be sure. Thank you so much for letting me know! xxxx
Loolarch

Re: Do I need someone to accompany me to MRI scan?

I think you will be fine going alone. I was worried that I would feel claustrophobic, but for my breast MRI I was face down and could see out via a mirror, so no problem at all. The dye went in near the end, but I wasn't aware of it, I was just told to keep completely still as it went in.

Marla13

Do I need someone to accompany me to MRI scan?

I was planning on taking myself to my MRI appointment next week, but a friend has offerred to come with me. I really don't want to accept the offer if I don't need to-she works (as I do) and want to save up these very kind offers for when I might really need them, i.e., day of surgery, or when I'm recovering and can't lift anything. 

Do you agree that I can get through this one on my own? Am I right in thinking it's merely a scan, with an injection of dye just before the scan? 

I'd value your thoughts on whether one can do this one alone...

xxxxx

Marla13

Thanks Ann-yes, I sort of assumed that was the case (re-the GP), but I haven't seen a consultant/oncologist yet so I'm not able to start any treatment. I'm fine with that. I am just waiting for my MRI appointment; my biopsy was done elsewhere but I wouldn't have expected them to start me on any meds until more certainty about what is going on. I don't have a lump-it's more a section of my breast that is coming up "cancer". So the MRI will tell more and then we'll see. I didn't realise some women are put on meds *prior* to surgery. I'm learning something new each day! 

xxxx

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Marla,

It's not the GP who initially prescribes hormone treatment, it's the oncologist who will decide what's recommended. The onc gave me a prescription for tamoxifen at the inital appointment & I was advised to start it after radiotherapy. There is variance on what the onc recommends, so they will deal with that for you. Following this, the GP is written to to continue the recommended recommended prescription.

ann x

Marla13

Hi Loolarch,

Thanks for this. I don't know *who* would put me on Letrozole (if it was appropriate for me) because a) my GP is not involved in this (I was diagnosed at a screening clinic) and b) I haven't seen a consultant yet.

Perhaps at the MRI appointment and appointment with my consultant after the MRI, medication might be discussed. I am sure surgery will be-but till then, I'm a bit on my own:). 

xx

Loolarch

Hi Marla

Not sure whether this applies to you, but once my biopsy results were available I was put onto Letrozole treatment (as my tumours were ER+ve). It then took a few weeks to get all further scans and tests done before surgery, but I was reassured that there was no great urgency for surgery once treatment had started. 

I too was much better when I was busy at work. Keep busy!

Marla13

Thanks a million for the reassurance re-time scales Ann! It really helps. The waiting and not knowing is so bad for one's mental health, isn't it? I booked a couple of nights away this week-end. You're fortunate you have an OH:).I don't have an OH and I find when I am home (and on my own) that's when my brain starts thinking about it. I'm fine at work and am loving being at work. I'm just not doing that well when home. Though I have come up with a mantra "I am strong, I am brave, and I will beat this". I recite this in the bubble bath each AM:). xxxxxx
ann-m
Community Champion

...’Vaseline?’ I think that should read ‘having!’ 😄
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Marla,
Although easier said than done, try not to overthink it. The 2 week time frame is for initial referral, I believe, then it all flows from that.
The timescales you describe have been quite usual for all us who’ve had to have mri’s etc.
I also found it a very anxious time, but my OH was very good in being tremendously positive, by saying it’s good you’re having it & they have to have the full picture before deciding what surgery is needed. I used to tell myself that, which helped.
Vaseline aches & pains is also quite usual & is normally just stress related.
As ever, it’s the uncertainty which is hard to handle, it’s always better when all’s confirmed.
It will be fine.
ann x
Marla13

Waiting to have my MRI scan-how to cope with the wait?

Hi all,

I've been contributing to a couple of threads recently but I'm starting a new thread only because I couldn't find one relating specifically to this "stage" of the game-I was diagnosed on 17th/08, referred on the 20th and got my MRI scan date today (it's 31st Aug-exactly 2 weeks post-diagnosis).

My Q is this: how did others occupy themselves up until the date of the MRI? I appreciate there are a few stages involving waiting (before the MRI scan, then after-waiting for results). Over the last few days I've been noticing "twinges" and minor aches in my chest/back area and am fully aware it is probably anxiety/stress but there is a tiny part of me that is thinking "I hope this isn't a sign that it has spread". After the biopsy result came through, the BC nurse at the screening clinic implied that it hasn't spread but that the MRI will confirm this...can they tell from a biopsy *if* it has spread? Would they have told me if they suspected as much?

I'm a little worried that my MRI is 2 weeks post diagnosis (they have a 2-week window to invite us in, don't they)? And then another while before the results come in.....as I've read on other threads...we all just want to get this disease out of us and are keen to have treatment-the wait is the difficult part. I'm thinking about packing a small suitcase and going away for the week-end, but am aware (as luck will have it)-it's the bank holiday and many places will already be booked and heaving. I think I just need a short break away....i've been at work all week-haven't taken time off since the diagnosis...work is good for me but it *is* at the back of my mind:).

How did you all occupy yourselves throughout the wait *for* your MRI? 

My friends have been wonderful but they all seem to want to talk about cancer, the treatments, etc. (with good intentions) but I just want to park it until I know what is going on (after the MRI).

xxx