When and how to tell my family?

Hey everyone,

How was to you or what do you think is better to do that?

I was diagnosed three days ago and has been told ill need to take a mastectomy, but I am still wating to take a MRI to know some other things. I am completely anguished and need to talk to my family to get supperted by them, but I dont know what would be worst to them, knowing now and started feeling as bad as I am, or knowing after the exam, which will take a while.

I am from another country and my parents are so far away. I need to tell them online and I need give them time to travel if they want. I am afraid of my mothers reaction/health and I am also afraid that shes going to be mad at me if I wait to tell her. I dont know what to do.

I hope you can give me any oppinion about it. Thank you so much.

Hi Carol Lina

I’m so sorry to hear your news, I myself have recently been diognosed. Please don’t put off letting your family know, you need their support right now. 

I told my whole family as soon as I found out and altough it is upsetting to share this news with loved ones I felt better getting it out into the open. keeping to yourself will do more harm than good.

Mums worry that’s in our DNA but it will hurt her even more if she knows you have kept it from her.

Keep your chin doll and best of luck to you and your family xx

Hi Carol Lina,
It’s always such a difficult one this & was the worst bit of it for me, espcially telling my elderly parents.
Myself & my OH kept it to ourselves for the first week - apart from work, as arrangements had to be made. I told my parents after I had seen the surgeon as then I knew what was going to happen. By then I had processed it & could be positive with them about it, which helped.
Fortunately, my brother turned up on the same day, so that was helpful.
As it turned out, it was better than I feared, I was very relieved when it was done & they did cope ok.
My OH told other friends & family members.
There’s never a right time to do it, so go with what you feel
is best.
ann x

Hi Carol Lina,  Sorry you find yourself here, diagnosis, telling everyone and waiting for scan results really is a tough time.  I told my family soon after my diagnosis and after the heartache of telling everyone I found it helped as everyone was really supportive.  Even though your parents are away you could have Skype or telephone meetings to keep in contact.  You didn’t mention whether or not you are having chemotherapy.  Do you have someone to look after you at home after your surgery? 

There are other threads on this forum where you can chat with others going through the same treatment on the “going through treatment” section.  I hope you chat with them soon as you may find it less burdensome to deal with.  Sending hugs. xxxx

Thanks Mai, I’m going to tell them today, as soon as they get home(it’s early in my country). I’m feeling very anxious about that.

I still don’t know if I’ll take chemotherapy. I have an appointment next Thursday. It’s also giving me anxiety.

Do you think that I’ll need help after surgery? Or during chemotherapy? I wasn’t thinking I’ll need help, but after some days on my own, I realised that I don’t want to stay alone after surgery since I’m feeling pretty down.

Hi Gillyflower,

Yes, it helped me a lot, thanks. I’m going to tell my family today. In some minutes actually. I thought I wouldn’t need anyone here, but for now I don’t want to be alone.

Many thanks Ann-m?

Thanks misswhite89?

You’re right. At least my mum would be upset that I didn’t tell her straight away. Moreover, I’m feeling very anxious to need to do that, so it’s better to do as soon as possible. And I really need their support.