Where do you even begin?

Hi everyone.I have been diagnosed with breast cancer this December after being treated for a cyst for 3 weeks.Like all of you I was completely shocked.

I am having surgery next week to remove the tumour -wide excision plus reduction then likely chemo and radio.

i don’t know where to begin trying to come to terms with any of it.

i am a nurse myself so feel like I’m on the wrong side of this.like many of you feel too young (40)to be in this situation after being healthy and fit by whole life.I have an amazing husband and amazing 5 year old son.i know there is a huge road ahead and I’m in a complete daze right now.Unfortunatley I’m also in a lot of pain due to the tumour having liquid around it meaning I now have had to take morphine which makes me feel rubbish.I expect to have post surgery pain but to be in pain now seems like a cruel joke.

Does anyone have any tips on how to start coming to terms with this situation as right know I don’t know where to startThank you for any help.

Hi Jowels, I have sent you a hug. It’s totally understandable that you are reeling from shock and, despite your profession, frightened.

My advice is don’t bottle it up. TALK! To your husband, son , medical team, friends & family. You are never truly alone in BC. 

It’s very hard to rationalise ‘it’. I guess if it was forums such as this one wouldn’t have been set up. 

I found preparing practically helpful; and some indulgences I could justify, remotely as practical - buying lovely soft PJ’s, stocking up on books, box-sets etc. None went to waste.  X

Having just been through similar experience and now at the stage of awaiting chemotherapy or radiotherapy and not knowing which it will be, I have a little advice. Aside from where children are concerned, allow yourself to be completely selfish for the next few weeks and give in to whatever mood or desire takes you without trying to behave in the way other people want you to. This takes away the pressure and allows the mind to process what is happening. While you are going through this you have no responsibility to anyone except your children. Partners can and do bear up to whatever you put them through and you will do the same for themshould the need arise. If you totally put your own needs first, it’s an easier journey and the mind goes back to being normal of it’s own accord