newly diagnosed with 8 week old baby

In shock after being diagnosed today with triple negative, grade 3, lymph node positive cancer. Had ultrasound today which showed glands in my armpit, neck and chest. I have a nearly 3 yr old and 8 week old baby who was born 5 weeks prematurely. Im having a PET CT tomorrow and seeing the oncologist next week to talk about chemotherapy before surgery. Everything is a bit surreal at the moment and all i can think about is how im going to get through chemo and further treatment while being a mummy to such little ones. Has anyone been in a similar boat?

emac

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum, although it is not a place that anyone of us would want to be. This is a scary time whilst you are waiting for your treatment plan to be put in place.

There is thread which is for younger women and families which you might want to post on as well to get support from them, but no matter where you post you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.  Here is the link to the thread:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Younger-women-and-families/bd-p/4449

Sending you hugs

Helena xx

Oh my love I’m so sorry your having to deal with this when you should be enjoying your little ones , I’m rarely shocked now by the things I hear but I’ve had to re read your post twice. One things for sure your babies will keep you occupied and with a good support network you will cope with it, you shouldn’t have to be facing this but sadly we have no control over who this disease decides to visit next.

We do have ladies with young families on the forum and I see Helena has added the link for you, there will be plenty of support for you across all the threads so please ask anything you like and we will help you in every way we can Xx Jo 

Hi emac, I can just imagine how you are feeling right now. I am in a similar situation but with an 7 year old and a toddler. My cancer is lobular, estrogen positive with lymph node involvement. I haven’t actually been told the grade and stage but it’s pretty obvious it’s at 3 as it’s multifocal and extensive in my boob and in my nodes. I’ve had a CT and bone scan, which thankfully both come back clear. I had my first dose of chemotherapy last Monday. I can honestly say it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong I felt crap for the first few days then a little less crap for the next couple of days but today I’m on day 10 and I feel pretty much normal. I was really worried how I’d cope with my toddler but with help from family and my husband the first week we got through it. I mainly felt like I had a massive hangover for the first two days then gradually felt better. The thing that I found the hardest was the steriods! They made me feel really agitated and my emotions where all over the place while I was on them. But I guess at least I’ll know to expect now. I am still struggling with it all and have good and bad days… Last night I accidentally watched something on tv about breast cancer and then I felt awful for the rest of evening and all morning. This evening I’m feeling more positive again and have booked in to get my hair all chopped off Friday in preparation for the hair loss. Overall as time is going on I do feel better than I did now I’ve started treatment and a plan is in place. Sending you massive healing hugs xxx

Hi emac

What a rotten time for you when you have the emotions of having recently given birth to a premature baby who needs you. Have you spoken to your heath visitor? She may be able to support you in some way. There may also be access to funding which could pay for a nursery place for the little ones while you are having treatment. Worth a go.

Hope you get the the support you need. 

xx

I know exactly how you feel Emac I feel the same about my two children… It’s just not fair. I was really, really worried that my ct scan would show it had spread as I have multiple lymph node involvement but thankfully it was clear. I can remember saying to the breast nurse before I had the scan that I just want to be given a chance to beat this for my boys and see them grow up. Keep positive there is a good chance yours will be clear xxx

So sorry to hear your news. Just wanted to send you lots of love and hugs. Take care xx