Acid reflux side effect of Letrozole

Good morning,

When I googled Letrozole and heartburn/acid reflux I found some replies on this forum that linked the two, and what a relief it was that it’s just yet another side effect, and not something more sinister. I have since found out that it is most prevalent in women 60+ who have been taking Letrozole for 2/3 years…that’s me!

I saw recommendations for cider vinegar tablets, but with everything I take now I worry about whether it will affect the efficacy of Letrozole?

Have any of you had medical advice on this…and does it work? Only I am chewing chalky tablets like they are sweets at the moment!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Kaz_O

Thank you for your comment. One of our clinical nurses might be able to answer these questions about your treatment and side effects. You can post this message in the Ask Our Nurses section of the Forum where they’ll be able to respond directly to it.

In the meantime, I’m sure our Forum community users will be along shortly to pick up the conversation :slight_smile:

Sending you our very best wishes,

Saskia

Hello Kaz-O I was on letrozole for nearly 3 years, prior to that Arimidex. I am now on tamoxifen and will be for the next nine months until I reach five years. In answer to your question yes inhibitors definitely cause reflux. I have struggled with it daily for the last four years. Along with multiple other unwanted side effects.  The only thing that keeps me compliant is the fear of a reoccurrence.  The thing that I find that works, although not all together completely, is a Prilosec in the morning and then a Pepcid AC after lunch. I have also cut out many food items that cause reflux such as spicy foods, anything with wheat in it, dairy and nuts. Those are my triggers. Hopefully you are finding some relief. These drugs are very hard to take even though we know they are helping us fight the breast cancer. Reach out if you need to talk.